Movies, Sound and Fury also 6 Years Later

Yes because Deaf parents raise her to be a strong lady. They are my friend. Glad it is all over for their nightmares with their close family.

Yes because Deaf parents raise her to be a strong lady. They are my friend. Glad it is all over for their nightmares with their close family.

I have to ask this question then. Almost all the students in the class last night commented on Peter's "angry" appearance in all discussions. The class all agreed on his passion but it seems he wasn't able to have a calm interaction with anyone. He appeared to be a very angry individual with the exception of immediate family. Is this an unfair perception?

Peter came across like everyone was against him if they wanted an implant ,
he seen to take it as a personal attack . I feel he was acting self centered more than anything , everything was all about him and not what the other person wanted . One thing I do not get is why do parents cry when they find out their child is deaf of hoh ?? That would made an older child feel that there is something terribly wrong with them.

Peter came across like everyone was against him if they wanted an implant ,

he seen to take it as a personal attack . I feel he was acting self centered more than anything , everything was all about him and not what the other person wanted . One thing I do not get is why do parents cry when they find out their child is deaf of hoh ?? That would made an older child feel that there is something terribly wrong with them.

I think every parent wants their child to be perfect. Knowing that their child would be different from mainstream life would be upsetting.
Conversely my 32 year old daughter has found out that she has cervical cancer. This is just before planning her wedding. She might be looking ahead to a hysterectomy and no children. Given a choice I think anyone would choose deaf over nothing.

There was a follow up movie to this made with same family several years later. Did you watch that too?

(Insert hoichi's predictable comment below)

There was a follow up movie to this made with same family several years later. Did you watch that too?

(Insert hoichi's predictable comment below)

Do you have a man crush on me or something?
No need to bring me up, ill chime in if i chime in.
That said.
I ThinK the third vid posted, when she is talking for hearies, obviously woud of been better for all her talk of bridges to have it at least half in sign and captioned for the sign inpaired. Rather all in english..
As for if 5 year olds or 10 year olds really can make such a choice ci. I dunno. I guess if 10 year olds can then.they should be allowed.to mske other adukt.choices too...
Anyway..

I ThinK the third vid posted, when she is talking for hearies, obviously woud of been better for all her talk of bridges to have it at least half in sign and captioned for the sign inpaired. Rather all in english..

As for if 5 year olds or 10 year olds really can make such a choice ci. I dunno. I guess if 10 year olds can then.they should be allowed.to mske other adukt.choices too...

Anyway..

I think you're right about it being all spoken. There should have been interpreter or captioning.
As for children making choices I think the first movie covered that when the father and mother decided (thinking in her best interest) for her not to go ahead with the CI implants.

Deaf people are more open-minded now about their friends and family members having CI. 1990s and early 2000 were controversial years. I was not accepted into deaf community until 1997 when I decided not to use CI.

I have to ask this question then. Almost all the students in the class last night commented on Peter's "angry" appearance in all discussions. The class all agreed on his passion but it seems he wasn't able to have a calm interaction with anyone. He appeared to be a very angry individual with the exception of immediate family. Is this an unfair perception?

Actually, Peter's personality is not an angry person. He's an easy going, fun, strong mind person. He is an ASL user. I rather not give more details about Peter's family matter regarding with the oralism issue. All I know is that he was concerned if his daughter's personality would be like a super hearing and could have been low opinions of Deaf culture, but she didnt. She uses BOTH ASL and speaking, involved with BOTH worlds. ASL is her first language. She's a bright gal. I do not blame him when he isnt used to having a daughter who has her own mind. What do you expect from any father with kids when it comes to the opinion issues. He realized that her daughter wanted it SO bad. So he wanted her to be happy with her choice of having CI that they had serious discussion. Nothing else. Peter is doing okay with his immediate family, parents, brother and sister now as long as I know. Whenever I see peter, I dont bother to ask him about it because i know him since I was a kid. I know his sister who's Deaf, and has a CI user. The past is past.

I would think if any person had friends and family members had one thing in common that kept them together it could be anything , their belief etc, may feel a sense of lost if one person decided to follow a difference path . Their world could feel smaller to them , maybe Pete was thinking his world be smaller if people around him were no 'longer Deaf' and stopped using ASL to talk to him. Just a thought .

I would think if any person had friends and family members had one thing in common that kept them together it could be anything , their belief etc, may feel a sense of lost if one person decided to follow a difference path . Their world could feel smaller to them , maybe Pete was thinking his world be smaller if people around him were no 'longer Deaf' and stopped using ASL to talk to him. Just a thought .

i think more with Pride thingy than losing Deaf culture. like Father and daughter.

We were born in that year where there were LARGE number of Deaf people with high prides. thats pretty normal.

Back