Movie Theatres- The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

girlingrey

Reaction score
So, I decided to go out and see the movie Sherlock Holmes. Looked OK, knew the basic story... except not. I failed to realize that the entire movie was British accents (I know. Duh.) and very quiet/whispering. The movie went like this:
Person-dsngjhnerougnfvdnvaoiero HOLMES sdghiuhrfz asudirghauiehg.
Person-sdkenfjewnfwen eiwjfiewrjghruhgu ieojgforguru. eufghewrua Holmes.

Anyway, not good.
I have yet to use any sort of assistive listening devices in movie theatres, probably because I have no hoh friends/family that would bother with them. For anyone who's used them, could you possibly tell me what's available/common in theatres. This is what I've heard of so far:

On-screen captioning- rare, in few theatres. I've used CaptionFish, and can't find any in my area.
Rear-Window Captioning- Using a mirror (?) to reflect and read the captions from the rear window.
Seat-Back-Captioning- Captions read off something on the back of the seat in front of you.

I've also heard of "assistive listening devices", which seem to be headphones piping the audio of the movie into headphones for you? I wonder how well that works with BTE hearing aid wearers?

So I guess I'm asking for your experiences with movie theatres. I know many people are resigned to waiting for the dvd to come out so they can watch- AND UNDERSTAND- it, but anyone who's had any experience with this technology, I'd really appreciate.

Oh, I also know that it can be rare to come by/not always working.

some theaters you can request an open-captioned viewing, but you have to request it ahead of time.
*EQL*

Our choice is called OC but it is really rear window captioning. Only in one theater. We don't get to choose the film. But let me say we were quite thrilled to get it.

Back