Movie Remakes: Where do you stand?

BLeGal2

Reaction score
I love watching classic movies. Especially horror classics from Europe. But for the past decade it seems like every great American movie (and more), has been taken by Hollywood and ripped to shreds with a remake. WHY WHY WHY?? Yes I know its for money, to use the new technology to make it look "better", and to introduce the movies to a new younger crowd, BUT REALLY COME ON! There are just some movies that shouldn't be remade.
Nightmare on Elm Street, for example is a classic! There is no way that the "new" freddy could be any where as good as Robert Englund's portrayal, yet alone make nearly half the amount of money he made from just that one role.

I just found out today that Sweden's Let The Right One In is being remade in America and they will be calling it Let Me In. The previews look good, but the typical now-a-days horror movie. America just doesn't make good horrors that often anymore. Sweden's movie is not that old, but really why does America have to redo it? Its a great movie and does not need to be redone at all!

I'm curious how you guys stand on movie remakes in general. It seems like there have been so many lately! Have you seen any of the new ones? How was the new Nightmare on Elm Street? Or any other new movies.

I just feel like the classics should be left alone and enjoyed. The old shitty technology is what makes them classics. Besides I am sure they could come up with an original story if they really wanted too.

How do you stand?

I am VERY against the remakes for the same arguments that you made.

I am VERY against the remakes for the same arguments that you made.

Same here! I hated when someone made 'Psycho' part two. No one can replace Alfred Hitchcock. He was a master ! 'Cape Fear' was a remake too and it was not anywhere as good a the first one .
And I hate when a black and white is colorize. Humphery Bogart look horrible with lipstick on.
When you colorize a movie it destroy all the black and white contrast and is take a long time for a
movie director to get the prefect shot.

Same here! I hated when someone made 'Psycho' part two. No one can replace Alfred Hitchcock. He was a master ! 'Cape Fear' was a remake too and it was not anywhere as good a the first one .

Actually, the remake of Cape Fear was somewhat well-received by the critics and the audience. But regardless, the original was the best. The critics would agree with you on that one. I thought it was a decent remake compared to most remakes I've watched. However, keep in mind that Cape Fear is actually based on the novel by John D. MacDonald. So they adapted the novel, which technically is a a remake of the novel in the form of a movie.

The original tends to be superior in most cases.

There are very few exceptions. For instance, Ocean's Eleven. The sequels were unnecessary though.

The reason why they are remaking movies is because they are a good source of revenue, and not to mention they also hold the rights to these movies. So why not milk the cash cow as much as they can?

Sounds stupid and greedy, it is. But that's how they do business these days.

Although I'll admit that I am sick of the remakes.

I just feel like the classics should be left alone and enjoyed. The old shitty technology is what makes them classics. Besides I am sure they could come up with an original story if they really wanted too.

Plenty of original scripts are out there. Some get made, some don't.

I would have to disagree with you on inferior technology making movies the classics they are. It's the storytelling and the quality of acting that makes it a classic.

Plenty of original scripts are out there. Some get made, some don't.

I would have to disagree with you on inferior technology making movies the classics they are. It's the storytelling and the quality of acting that makes it a classic.

Yes the story telling quality of todays movies is not that great at all. Especially with horror movies. They seem stuck with one way of telling every horror story right now.

I don't think a lot of actors really have to "act" any more. yes there are some great ones, but there are a lot more awful ones.

Yes the story telling quality of todays movies is not that great at all. Especially with horror movies. They seem stuck with one way of telling every horror story right now.

I don't think a lot of actors really have to "act" any more. yes there are some great ones, but there are a lot more awful ones.

Keep in mind there were plenty of bad movies back then. People just don't remember them. There were a lot of bad movies, and I mean a lot. However, with today's technology, it's much more accessible for people to make bad movies. They don't cost as much either these days.

Regarding the horror movies, the genre itself has never been easy to tackle. Even back in the ol' days. If you look at the old movies, you'll see that a lot of them share similar patterns and clichés. Just like today's movies do. Very few of them are genuinely scary and horrific.

There are plenty of great scripts. It's just that they end up in the wrong hands or never get made at all.

People have to act, that's why they are called actors. Poor acting can inflict a lot of harm upon a movie. There's always going to be more bad actors, writers, artists, etc than there are of the good ones.

Great talent has always been in small numbers.

For the OP....did you ever view the movie "An American Werewolf in London"??...(Since you like horror movies)....To me, the visual effects were awesome!...Just loved this movie....it's an old movie.

Actually, the remake of Cape Fear was somewhat well-received by the critics and the audience. But regardless, the original was the best. The critics would agree with you on that one. I thought it was a decent remake compared to most remakes I've watched. However, keep in mind that Cape Fear is actually based on the novel by John D. MacDonald. So they adapted the novel, which technically is a a remake of the novel in the form of a movie.

The original tends to be superior in most cases.

There are very few exceptions. For instance, Ocean's Eleven. The sequels were unnecessary though.

The reason why they are remaking movies is because they are a good source of revenue, and not to mention they also hold the rights to these movies. So why not milk the cash cow as much as they can?

Sounds stupid and greedy, it is. But that's how they do business these days.

Although I'll admit that I am sick of the remakes.
TV shows are being made into movies like "Sex and the City" , I never watch the show and would not waste my money on the movie. I have never seen a remake movie as good as the first. "Death take a Holiday" was done over with Brad Pit in the lead role and he was horrible. "Mice and Men " is another one that was remake , and I like the first one the best. I also hate when classic black and white are colorize.

Back