Movie: Children of a Lesser God.

I liked the part when James was trying to interpret what music was like to Sarah...was hard to, but sweet of him to try. He tried to understand her deaf world and why she was happy with being deaf. He fell in love with her. They had some disagreements. I liked the part where Sarah played the cards and she won. She just learned how to play the cards by reading the book. She was smart. James didn't understand why Sarah enjoyed the quietness while working as housekeeper. Sarah could have gotten a better job as she's smart, but she didn't feel the motivation to. Sarah's sister wasn't nice to Sarah...she got boys to have sex with her, just cuz Sarah was deaf. Sarah's self esteem went down partly cuz of that experience. So, Sarah's deep resistment and anger came from that. Sarah was telling James about that experience and James felt really bad. He believed that Sarah was worth more.

Yeah, that was pretty good, watching James try to interpret the music.

However, regarding Sarah's sister . . . I think, based on how society is now instead of back then, Sarah did NOT have sex freely with any of the boys. She was coersed, or, better yet, she was raped. Go back and read the captioning where she talks about it and says that none of them even bought her a coke or talked to her; while she's saying it, watch her body language. All the boys raped her, one at a time. Yes, the anger stems from it. When she finally screams at James, I thought that entire scene was brilliant!

. . . James was arrogant or something.

I was quite pissed off watching him INSIST all the kids talk with their mouth and say the words correctly. While he means well, I think he was quite arrogant and was high-pressuring Sarah into talking with her voice when she didn't want to. She had a reason and he dissed it.

Another thing, if I had been Sarah, I wouldn't have talked. James deserved being screamed at, as I'd do the same thing.

I have seen the movie, even I have done it on my drama assessment last year..It was a fantastic movie, anyone can watch it, and it shows a lot of perspective to anyone, especially deaf. The moive has a lot to tell. It is quite difficult for me to explain more specific here.

Does anyone know if that was the Bi-Bi approach being used in the movie? I cant remember so I need to watch it again.

Actually, it was more of a TC approach. They used a lot of sim-com in the classroom.

You're right, pek1...I haven't watched the movie in years. She was raped and didn't feel appreciated, not even was offered a coke soda.

Actually, it was more of a TC approach. They used a lot of sim-com in the classroom.

That was what I thought but wasnt sure since it has been so long. Thanks!

What's sim-com? All I can think of is that the teacher in it seemed so 'in your face' for the deaf students to speak. This was a major turn-off to me.

What's sim-com? All I can think of is that the teacher in it seemed so 'in your face' for the deaf students to speak. This was a major turn-off to me.

Agree, Pete. With no sensitivity about speaking concern or problems - just "speak!"

I've seen this movie before. FYI, I've never liked this guy, James ( of course, I know this was just for playin' to act in movie. Lol ). I don't like the way how he treated Sarah. I don't like how he made her to speak. Too pushy makin' her to feel that she can not be herself. Too pushy. When I see that James pushed her to speak, he sure scared me away ... thinkin' that if, I ever met one guy like him, I wouldn't want to be with him ! Pssh I will tell him to take his hike elsewhere. :)

I've seen this movie before. FYI, I've never liked this guy, James ( of course, I know this was just for playin' to act in movie. Lol ). I don't like the way how he treated Sarah. I don't like how he made her to speak. Too pushy makin' her to feel that she can not be herself. Too pushy. When I see that James pushed her to speak, he sure scared me away ... thinkin' that if, I ever met one guy like him, I wouldn't want to be with him ! Pssh I will tell him to take his hike elsewhere. :)

Same here..I wouldnt want to be with a guy who forced me to speak at all times. He can kiss my butt! :giggle:

You are right, Maria, I might have gone overboard with my pissing off at James who is only a character from the author who wrote the screenplay about what is happening with the hearing and deaf lovers. Yeah, I don't like the way James treat Sarah like that. It is sad that hearing people or person really don't understand that we can take care of ourselves better than he is. I could not believe that we have been trying to teach hearing people that we can take care of ourselves whether we are alone or living with someone. As for me I like being independent even if I am married. :popcorn:

This is a required movie now for all begining ASL students at the
community college here. I'm going to check it out again. Its been
sooooo long since I've seen it.

It was good. I met the actress Sarah at a KODA picnic a few years ago. John the "ass...." was at Gallaudet when I was there. the other actor use his fame but crab theory took him down,

I had enough of guys like James in my life deaf or hearing need to show a little respect to the woman they date and not treat them like crap like James did. If I did ever met another man like that, I kick his butt all the way to CHINA! ha

It began naked Matlin scenes!

This movie came out in my early high school years. I saw it with my mother (deaf family here) and . . . well, Mom looked at it and didn't find it entertaining. For her, the value was merely in the having Deaf in Hollywood.

For me:

Sarah's world was the school for the deaf. Because of her experiences with hearing (relationships defined by the sister and indifference defined by the mother), she preferred to stay at the school for the deaf.

It was an understandable evolution. James sought to help her evolve further - defining herself as an individual not Deaf.

The film had repeatedly shown scenes where it was a good thing when a deaf person "tawk-d wight", recognized hearing music, and how it was a hearing person who had shown the poor deaf creature the light and the way.

The total communication was there more for filming. My mother and, even, I had to depend on captioning to understand the script.

It was a breakthrough for the American society (and Hollywood fans) in that it, at least, planted seeds of interest in the Deaf.

It opened the floodgates for the Hearing to assume (as they always righteously believe) the role of Savior.

:iobarf:

Last edited:
This movie came out in my early high school years. I saw it with my mother (deaf family here) and . . . well, Mom looked at it and didn't find it entertaining. For her, the value was merely in the having Deaf in Hollywood.

For me:

Sarah's world was the school for the deaf. Because of her experiences with hearing (relationships defined by the sister and indifference defined by the mother), she preferred to stay at the school for the deaf.

It was an understandable evolution. James sought to help her evolve further - defining herself as an individual not Deaf.

The film had repeatedly shown scenes where it was a good thing when a deaf person "tawk-d wight", recognized hearing music, and how it was a hearing person who had shown the poor deaf creature the light and the way.

The total communication was there more for filming. My mother and, even, I had to depend on captioning to understand the script.

It was a breakthrough for the American society (and Hollywood fans) in that it, at least, planted seeds of interest in the Deaf.

It opened the floodgates for the Hearing to assume (as they always righteously believe) the role of Savior.

:iobarf:

That's very interesting. I saw it more as an illustration of the injustices that had been perpetrated against the deaf for so many years. Sort of bring a sordid histroy to light for all to see...especially the hearing. As a hearing parent of a deaf child, it opened my eyes as to what environment I didn't want for my son, and helped me to see things from the perspective of a deaf person.

Back