Movie Captioning System!!

hearingsolution

Reaction score
We are students at the University of Colorado. We are looking into the use of eye piece technology in movie theaters.

http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/newsrelease/captioning.htm

This is a device developed by Georgia Tech Research Institute.

How much would you be willing to play for this technology? $12 for a movie if rented from the theater? Would you rather own the device or rent it from the movie theaters? Would you be willing to download the captioning from the internet if you own the device? How much would you pay per download? 2 dollar? If you would like more information on our research or anything please post with questions.

Thanks!

Nah, I rather just go when the movie is captioned.

I don't want to shell out extra bucks for a movie that is already expensive when the overall price for both movie and caption device is more than the movie when it is released on DVD. Even if the device was sold to be owned, I still wouldn't buy it.

Movie theaters are expensive enough already that I can wait and watch it when it's released on DVD. :)

I saw something like this a short time ago, from Nomad Display Systems. I believe the corporation was Microvision, based in Redmond, WA. They had a single eye HUD with SVGA resolution. Only problem is, the display I saw had everything in red/amber, which wouldn't be my first choice of colors. It was wireless, and it was compatible with windows mobile devices.

The link above shows a display with white text. Much more comfortable for me. I'd rather have a system built into my eyeglasses, to be honest, so I wouldn't get a HUD until it's integrated into my everyday attire.

Naw.

I don't like movie theaters.

I'd rather wait til it comes out on DVD so I can watch it at home.

hearingsolution said:
We are students at the University of Colorado. We are looking into the use of eye piece technology in movie theaters.

How much would you be willing to play for this technology? $12 for a movie if rented from the theater? Would you rather own the device or rent it from the movie theaters? Would you be willing to download the captioning from the internet if you own the device? How much would you pay per download? 2 dollar? If you would like more information on our research or anything please post with questions.

Thanks!
So not for Blackberry, am I correct? It has Bluetooth but no Wi-Fi. But Bluetooth are only for short distances... Correct?

hearingsolution said:

Thanks!

I've been thinking about this sort of thing for a long time and I've also tried researching what it would take to develop one myself. here are my thoughts

1) Yes, I'd be willing to download the captions online before going to the movie, in fact that would be ideal in my opinion.
It needs to be independant of the movie theatre
(needs to work in every theatre). If the theatre has to invest in special equipment to broadcast the captions or something it does nothing for a lot of us, especailly deaf and hoh people in rural areas.

2) I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred dollars on such a device, but that's just me. I'm a geek that likes gadgets like this, and I have a hearing girlfriend who misses going to the movie theatre.

3) I'd not want to pay $2 for the captions, and I don't think very many people would. I might go for a subscription service though, maybe $10 a year or something like that. Though if it actually made it possible to watch any movie that comes out in any theatre in the country I might be willing to pay more. You might want to go with some kind of sponsorship or governemt subsidy.

I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, are you looking for beta testers?

No No NO on all counts!

It already costs quite a bit of $ to go to a theater to watch a movie. Why would I want to pay an additional fee just to be able to enjoy the movie as much as anyone else!?

I rather save that money I would spend on the device and download captioning ( for $2...! gahhhh) so I can rent the movie when it comes out on DVD and have the captioning!

Its that realize or its just comment

I read about that posts and already aware about this two or three years ago. They have glass caption for that and those are costs $$$$.

However, are you serious that you are saying movie + $2.00 = movie2.00?

If so-- I couldn't agree with that.

If that they are looking profit, why not charge on people who is using wheel chair that costs $2.00 for special reserve seat.

I think that pretty wrong... unless they want 50 dollar to hold and 50 dollar refund due their insurance purpose. It would be fine but if couple of us who is deaf too.. 100 dollar deposit?? thats not wise... :ugh2:

$12 bucks is more than I can afford as a student. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, though - are you saying, would I be willing to own my own captioning system, download captions from the web, and then somehow synchronize it with the film? The answer to that is yes, and I have actually done some speculating as to how such a system would work.

More than $2-3 for a movie would be too expensive, although obviously the eyepiece would be a larger initial investment.

ismi said:
$12 bucks is more than I can afford as a student. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, though - are you saying, would I be willing to own my own captioning system, download captions from the web, and then somehow synchronize it with the film? The answer to that is yes, and I have actually done some speculating as to how such a system would work.

More than $2-3 for a movie would be too expensive, although obviously the eyepiece would be a larger initial investment.

I've contemplated the same thing, there are two major obsticles as I see it.

1) syncranization. if the captions are pre-loaded onto the device, and the device is independant of the movie, how do you sync them? (I think that the ideal system should be independant of the theatre because movie theatres just won't invest in aditional technolog. I lived in North east nebraska untill about 3 months ago, If I wanted to see a movie with captions I had to drive 80 miles and the movies that were captioned were always crap (ie "big mamma's house 2") Now I live in kansas (lawrence) and it's about as bad, The only mopix theatre is in Olithe, a good 40+ minutes away. (this is starting to turn into a rant but my point is that such a device MUST work in ANY theatre or it's as good as worthless)

2) If people can download entire scripts of dialoge onto a portable device like this the MPAA will freak out. How do we get around that? DRM will complicate the design and increase the cost.

It can't have any significant extra cost except for perhaps the purchase of the device. charging per movie is insane, I agree with the other comment, it's like charging extra for the wheelchair spot.

Back