Mountains and Hills

Ethereal

Reaction score
My brother (9 years) and I were having a discussion as to whether an imaginary mound he'd created was a hill or mountain. We were unable to decide, so I had a brilliant idea! The dictionary! Unfortunately, the dictionary was no help.

Mountain: a landmass that projects conspicuously above its surroundings and is higher than a hill

So, I was again struck by brilliance! I'll look up the definition of hill!

Hill: a natural elevation of land lower than a mountain

Now isn't that helpful?

Three separate dictionaries had similarly unhelpful definitions.

I was forced, then, to seek the help of my best friend, google. I typed in "define:mountain" (without the ") and finally found a definition stating that a mountain is generally thought of as rising at least 300 meters above its surroundings.

All that work for such a simple explanation....

whats the question about this whole thing ?
i would just assume that the hill tend to be
smaller than mountains.

How about this:
"make a mole hill out of a mountain" !!

also other way you may find that meanings!!

go to http://www.yahoo.com and typing mountain definition or hill definition so it will show up alot meanings .. it over 1,000.. so good luck!

:)

TOF

Y said:
whats the question about this whole thing ?
i would just assume that the hill tend to be
smaller than mountains.

How about this:
"make a mole hill out of a mountain" !!

Because I'm unable to edit this one,
let me correct myself here... I actually meant:

"make a mountain out of a molehill" ....

Or how about that movie "The Englishman who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain"?

deafdyke said:
Or how about that movie "The Englishman who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain"?

sound like an interesting story if u could pls summarize
what is it about ?

deafdyke said:
I prefer the Englishman who went up the hill and came down with all the bananas.

LOL I think the real definition for mountain is anything that is 2,000 feet or more in elevation and for hill is anything that is between 1 to 1,999 feet in elevation.

The definition I got was a mountain is above 300 meters, which is approximately 985 feet. (If I remember correctly)

SLC is at 4300 feet above sea level, so downtown is a mountain already according to either one of your definitions.

A lot of mountains in Wasatch and Unitas summit at 11,000 to 13,500 feet above the sea level. I think with the 7,000 to 9,000 feet difference of land level, the mountains look quite majestic compared to a hill.

kuifje75 said:
SLC is at 4300 feet above sea level, so downtown is a mountain already according to either one of your definitions.

A lot of mountains in Wasatch and Unitas summit at 11,000 to 13,500 feet above the sea level. I think with the 7,000 to 9,000 feet difference of land level, the mountains look quite majestic compared to a hill.

do u mean to compare this majestic mountains
with an ant hill, ugh ? LOL

Back