Mother of a beutiful deaf child

luvsam

Reaction score
Hi I am the mother of a beatiful 11 year old deaf son. And every day he brings joy and mystery to my life. i want so much to understand his way of thinking. He has always been a mystery to me and to others around him. I knew my son was deaf when he was 7 mobnths old but he was not comfirmed as profoundly deaf until he was 4 years old.He past 5 hearing tests with differant audioligists. It was not until they did a brain wave test while he was sleeping that they finally believed my claims. I placed my son in deaf and hard of hearing class rooms fully emursed in sign. He failed to thrive. he would not sign and when asked questions he would stair blankly at teachers. He refused to com municate with teachers. The school would look to me and blame me for not signing enough at home. I am a single mom and joshua is my world. he signed to me continuosly. but at school he would star blankly. it took josh 2 years to finally start communicating with teachers in his deaf class. at age 10 he had a 10 word vocabulary on his iep. :hmm:but at home he surfed the web beat complex video games memorize my drivers licence number. :shock:He signed nonstop to the hearing people around him even if the did not understand. He did not care and he often got his point acrost with facial expressions along with signs. I often felt uncomfortable in his class around his teachers. when i looked at josh it seemed as though he felt the same.But he was always happy to go to school. but when he was in class he seemed lost searching to see what every one else was doing so he could follw along. the school district finally refused to take him back after the summer and now he is in a hearing class with hearing students who have languge disorders Autistic and others who have language dissorders. He has an interpritor aid to help him understand the teacher.He signs in this class and he looks like he feels more comfortable. He tries to communicate with his teacher who does not know much asl. josh is a mystery to me and at all his ieps when he is phyc tested he scores above all the students but accademically he scores far below. Teachers do not understand and they do not know were to place him. The have decided he has a learning disability.But i know how unbalievably smart he is at home. my be some one can help me solve this mystery:hmm:

Hi I am the mother of a beatiful 11 year old deaf son. And every day he brings joy and mystery to my life. i want so much to understand his way of thinking. He has always been a mystery to me and to others around him. I knew my son was deaf when he was 7 mobnths old but he was not comfirmed as profoundly deaf until he was 4 years old.He past 5 hearing tests with differant audioligists. It was not until they did a brain wave test while he was sleeping that they finally believed my claims. I placed my son in deaf and hard of hearing class rooms fully emursed in sign. He failed to thrive. he would not sign and when asked questions he would stair blankly at teachers. He refused to com municate with teachers. The school would look to me and blame me for not signing enough at home. I am a single mom and joshua is my world. he signed to me continuosly. but at school he would star blankly. it took josh 2 years to finally start communicating with teachers in his deaf class. at age 10 he had a 10 word vocabulary on his iep. :hmm:but at home he surfed the web beat complex video games memorize my drivers licence number. :shock:He signed nonstop to the hearing people around him even if the did not understand. He did not care and he often got his point acrost with facial expressions along with signs. I often felt uncomfortable in his class around his teachers. when i looked at josh it seemed as though he felt the same.But he was always happy to go to school. but when he was in class he seemed lost searching to see what every one else was doing so he could follw along. the school district finally refused to take him back after the summer and now he is in a hearing class with hearing students who have languge disorders Autistic and others who have language dissorders. He has an interpritor aid to help him understand the teacher.He signs in this class and he looks like he feels more comfortable. He tries to communicate with his teacher who does not know much asl. josh is a mystery to me and at all his ieps when he is phyc tested he scores above all the students but accademically he scores far below. Teachers do not understand and they do not know were to place him. The have decided he has a learning disability.But i know how unbalievably smart he is at home. my be some one can help me solve this mystery:hmm:

Wow I can't imagine what you are going through and I'm not going to pretend to have any insights but I hope someone on here can encourage you and point you in the right direction. As far as I'm concerned you sound like a very loving mother! I will be praying for you!

Have you contacted your local Deaf schools for resources?

like shel's suggestion by contacting deaf school resources, and also have your son socialize with other deaf kids before? Just wonder.

like shel's suggestion by contacting deaf school resources, and also have your son socialize with other deaf kids before? Just wonder.

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm a teacher; one boy in my class is hearing with deaf parents. He has never been in a class with other hearing children. So, he's a bit uncomfortable. I thought he didn't know his alphabets or numbers etc. It was only when I sign that he recognised them. He's very smart, but still very uneasy around hearing adults and children. He doesn't perform to his ability because he feels lost. He clings to me because I am learning ASL and I sign and speak to him (at the same time).

Im not an expert at all, but it just sounds like your son is more comfortable signing around people that are hearing. Are you hearing? Have you ever asked him why he didn't sign to his teachers in the deaf school? It could be anything: confidence, comfort, or atmosphere. Only your child really knows.

How do you communicate with him when he was a toddler? I did not learn sign language till I was almost 9 and it put me in poor academic for years. Also I used to be shy around teachers and did not like to answer those questions. Still do today. I wonder if deaf teacher will make any difference for him? Deaf teachers were best thing for me when I was kid. Have you consider put him in deaf school in your state? Alot of deaf kids goes there and are doing well.

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm a teacher; one boy in my class is hearing with deaf parents. He has never been in a class with other hearing children. So, he's a bit uncomfortable. I thought he didn't know his alphabets or numbers etc. It was only when I sign that he recognised them. He's very smart, but still very uneasy around hearing adults and children. He doesn't perform to his ability because he feels lost. He clings to me because I am learning ASL and I sign and speak to him (at the same time).

Im not an expert at all, but it just sounds like your son is more comfortable signing around people that are hearing. Are you hearing? Have you ever asked him why he didn't sign to his teachers in the deaf school? It could be anything: confidence, comfort, or atmosphere. Only your child really knows.

Her son didnt go to a deaf school. From the way the mother described, it sounds like a public school that has a deaf/hoh program.

Welcome to AD!

I'm so glad your supporting your son 100% :D Your the best parent in the worlds in my book! Anyway, I don't know much about your son, but it sounds like how I used to be as a kid. The school I was in made me feel uncomfortable and under-challenged, so I didn't do a thing. I could do everything they handed me and more, but it was like an insult to me because it was so simple. Just a thought but maybe this is what he is going through, just a thought.

Anyway, I really hope everything works out ^^

I second Shel... Contact your state's Deaf School. Deaf Schools tend to have more resources and information on kids who are deaf and may have other issues like learning disabilty, autism etc. Some Deaf Schools may even have formal/seperate programs (although I think that's mostly for kids with emotional/behavoiral/lower IQ) If there's no deaf school, contact the one in the state nearest you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle with the school. I am a teacher and would always love to hear pointers from parents. If you have any advise on things that are helpful or things to make sure I don't do I would appreciate it. Good luck with your sons school, keep pushing them to give him what he needs it's the law.

Maybe l can help a little - In my days as l started hearing school at primary till this day learning things the hearing way was hard for people like myself , so they advise my parents for a special teacher to visit my school once a week to catch up on my studies and sort out some problem that need to be address from teachers to improve my education. So after all the education department decided to send me to a deaf school with a lot of profoundly deaf kids using their hands to communicate with which make it hard for me as l can speak , but learning was great not as fast as them , so in the end that deaf school wasn't for me , so back to hearing school again at technical school and left at year 10 as l couldn't handle it anymore.

So here what l did for myself by learning to study basic things alphabetic , nouns , proverbs ect ect , so grab anything to help him that's gonna interest him the most and you won't believe this one and l'm pretty sure alot of deaf people out there use a mirror to learn lipreading.

Sorry about my grammar << that 1 l didn't do for myself. :shock:

Back