Mother of 7 y/o Deaf girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support including @Teacherofthedeaf tea

I've been struggling to be taken seriousky by our local police from my most recent assault that was incredibly violent. Its a lot of why I went back to school to get my counseling degree and why I want to go to Gally for my masters to help DHH women specifically since there's so little resources for women ar all esp where I live (a friend had to drive me 70 miles each way to the next county for the closest ER that does sexual assailt exams and I had a cracked skull and broken ribs and had beensince our choked unconscious since our county's hospital doesn't but they keep that quiet) and almost 0 of those limited resources are accessible for DHH

good for you, i'm proud for you, you stay strong. :)

What is all the controversy about that has been posted the last few pages? I'm struggling to understand this.

alley cat. you have to read from teh start to get what and how this story even took place. I for one am against hearing programs to dhh into mainstream schools who teach oral, cued speech and etc... etc... etc... I was one of them, I HATED IT!!!! I mean REALLY HATED IT.. ALOT!!!!!!! I HAD NO SELF ESTEEM, LACK ASL, AND NO FRIENDS. IT WAS REALLLLLLLLLLY AWKWARD! This is from my experience, other may have had 'better luck" with mainstream... not me! All because I WAS FORCED! I DIDNT HAVE AN OPINION TO THINK OTHERWISE. Makes my stomach turn seeing dhh going into mainstream schools when tehy can be with their OWN PEERS. JS

There is no controversy among the deaf.
I second that. And I understand how it is do not fun growing up mainstreamed. Hated it. No self esteem either, or friends. The only thing I did have was asl. Which is weird given that there were only a few others in my school with asl. But I sure loved summer camp with my deafies.

I second that. And I understand how it is do not fun growing up mainstreamed. Hated it. No self esteem either, or friends. The only thing I did have was asl. Which is weird given that there were only a few others in my school with asl. But I sure loved summer camp with my deafies.
oh my gosh... YES!!! I remember going to deaf camps. SO much fun, i went to hearing camps and that SUCKED! I had no one to talk to, it was sooo awkward to say the least. I was the only on there deaf. Sure I can speak, but when kids at that age look at you funny and do that whispering in front of you... I can't really shake that off at that age, kind of hard not too. Going to deaf camp was a good memory for me! :D

P.S. Agree Beowulf!

oh my gosh... YES!!! I remember going to deaf camps. SO much fun, i went to hearing camps and that SUCKED! I had no one to talk to, it was sooo awkward to say the least. I was the only on there deaf. Sure I can speak, but when kids at that age look at you funny and do that whispering in front of you... I can't really shake that off at that age, kind of hard not too. Going to deaf camp was a good memory for me! :D

P.S. Agree Beowulf!
Yes, the deaf camps. Never would’ve gone to a hearing camp.

Yes, the deaf camps. Never would’ve gone to a hearing camp.
I didnt have a choice in the matter, I was forced to go to hearing camps. I went to several hearing camps. worse camps ever!!!!!!

What the heck are you talking about? I haven't shadowed a teacher since undergraduate student teaching. I also have repeatedly said that I do know ASL and that I have been in programs in the past that had students that used ASL, including being an itinerant with students in the mainstream who used interpreters. I also never said that the self-contained classroom was spoken language only. You are just making stuff up now.
Your history is in Missouri. Missouri does NOT have self contained classrooms of ANY type

You seen to know a lot about Melissa that she doesn't say here She's said shes not fluent in signed English If shes fluent in ASL and English shes fluent in SE.

i highly doubt someone who doesn't believe in ASL use im Deaf ed, who is hearing and who doesn't use ASL in her current interactions with DHH os FLUENT in ASL.

But please @Teacherofthedeaf prove me wrong I have glide, Skype, video chat on my phone your choice. I'd love if you could prove us wrong with this. :)
What I said was that I don't know and have never used any version of Signed English. I don't know SEE1 or SEE2. I have absolutely no desire to give you my first and last name or my phone number for obvious reasons.

This is great this is what most of us believe, but to make sure DHH kids have all the skills necessary early language exposure is key and for DHH kids this is sign language. If they choose cued speech, speaking whatever later fine. But at least they have natural fluency in their L1. Its easier to teach it early as infants and toddlers and not use it later than trying to learn it as a teen or adult. It can even be used as a way to access other methods later if the student and family want.

You just were saying completely different things earlier which is how this behemoth started in the first place.
No I wasn't. As I challenged you earlier, show me where I have said anything different and I will cancel my account.

As for my supervisor, my school's policy for language use is very specific. We use spoken language, through listening so that our students will transition to a mainstream placement to learn alongside hearing children from their communities. Our school teaches deaf children to listen and speak without the use of sign language. We support children with hearing loss to develop the spoken language, listening, thinking and learning skills necessary to compete alongside their hearing peers.

You are saying hearing children are the standard DHH kids need to reach. You are saying to reach this superior standard DHH kids need to learn to listen and talk and think. What do hearing kids have DHH don't? Spoken language. If its superior that means ASL and sign language are inferior. When you use a superlative that means the opposite of the best is lesser than.

You either believe those things or you don't believe in what you teach

There is no controversy among the deaf.
Exactly. Bombard the kids with EVERYTHING (with the exception of the monoglot Signers who cannot benefit from speech intervention) Stop making up a controversy where there is NONE. Give the kid speech, sign Cued speech and a variety of social, educational and life experiances. Easy, simple! Most people who are pro speech only either seem to think that the kids will assimulate into hearing society, or they are CONVINCED that speech only creates kids who are going to go off to Harvard or something.

No, I never said I was ever in Missouri. You don't know me and you certainly don't know where I have worked.
Yes you gave enough information about a state residental school that you referred a student to in the past, where it was very obvious where it was located.

You are saying hearing children are the standard DHH kids need to reach. You are saying to reach this superior standard DHH kids need to learn to listen and talk and think. What do hearing kids have DHH don't? Spoken language. If its superior that means ASL and sign language are inferior. When you use a superlative that means the opposite of the best is lesser than.

You either believe those things or you don't believe in what you teach
Exactly! Speech skills are good to have. But just b/c a kid functions as HOH it doesn''t mean they're "better educated"....Heck not all hearing kids go to Harvard!

What I said was that I don't know and have never used any version of Signed English. I don't know SEE1 or SEE2. I have absolutely no desire to give you my first and last name or my phone number for obvious reasons.
Is there ANY way you can prove you are who you claim to be? You know. I know a guy who was pretending to be more affected then he was for attention. Why I do not know. But he was. I also know people who pretended their kid was deaf or that their partner was ID or whatnot to get attention. I'm going to be VERY blunt. You keep contradicting yourself. It seems to be a way to reinforce your "I'm perfect" thinking. One gets the vibe it was so bad you may have once held a position and lost it.

Exactly! Speech skills are good to have. But just b/c a kid functions as HOH it doesn''t mean they're "better educated"....Heck not all hearing kids go to Harvard!

Yeah I beat out a lot of hearing kids to go to Brown and I use sign language. Oh wait I can talk so I'm sure the oralists would poach me as "their" success. But no I was never taught to hear (I have severe/profound hearing loss I can do ANYTHING I WANT BUT HEAR) but yet I was taught to think just fine and excel above many of hearing peers.

Holy crap that's the most narcassistic I've ever sounded and the only time Ive bragged about Brown. But Im not going to say "this person I "know" and who "confided in me " to push my point, these things did happen and they happened to ME.

P.S. Agree Beowulf!
I LOVE the AVT approach where the "how to deal with social emoitional issues" is straight out of a VERY naive first year special ed teacher's playbook. I did attend an AMAZING hearing camp, but it was an amazing camp in GENRAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back