Mother And Daughter Proud Of Being Overweight, Living On Government Benefits

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A mother and daughter recently said they’re proud that being overweight has prevented them from being able to work, and are happy to be living off of benefits from the British government.

Janice Manzur, 44, and her 25-year-old daughter Amber weigh a total of 603 pounds, and their health issues have made it difficult for them to move around. Both women use mobility scooters, and Janice's home in Fife, Scotland, was renovated to accommodate their needs.

Janice, a mother of two, had previously worked at a call center but left because of health issues and has been receiving government benefits since 2006. The Manzur women take in about $51,100 per year from benefits. Janice said she and her daughter have no plans to diet despite serious health risks, saying that they are happy just the way they are.

"I've always been big and I'm too fat to work, so I have a genuine disability. I should be miserable but I'm happy,” Janice said. “I know this is the way I'm meant to be.” Janice’s daily diet includes ready-made dinners, which she said are less expensive and more convenient than cooking.

Amber, who has one child, has been on disability since she left a security job when she broke her leg. She reportedly lives 50 yards from her mother, but always chooses to drive there. “People shouldn't judge me or my mum for how big we are because it's in our genes,” she said.

Amber's mother agrees with her decision, saying, "I'd rather my daughter live life fat and happy than depressed and thin."

Neighbor Steven Hunter said that he often sees Amber, and her weight has seriously affected her ability to function. “Amber is that bad she can hardly walk. It takes her half an hour to get up the stairs,” Hunter said. “She's never walking. When she comes round to see someone it takes her half an hour to get to the house.”

Another neighbor, who wished to remain anonymous, said she thinks the Manzur’s benefits should be taken away. “The amount of benefits they get is ridiculous,” she said. “'My views are people like that should have their benefits cut. It will fall to the National Health Service to pay for treatment.”

National Obesity Forum representative Tam Fry said he was “horrified” that people were receiving disability benefits just because they were obese.

(Read more...._

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/soci...d-rather-be-fat-and-benefits-thin-and-working

Sowwy, I read too fast..

Well, I think Welfare should have set up incentives for her to get up ass and exercise, diet and so on. If not willing, then cut off benefit.

"“I know this is the way I'm meant to be.” Janice’s daily diet includes ready-made dinners, which she said are less expensive and more convenient than cooking."
This woman is out for lunch ! Readymade dinners cost a lot more than homemade meals and are loaded with salt and sugar . Maybe the government will get lucky and the women won't live along time.

Yea, look at nutrient information and see for yourself how much sodium is in there (TV dinner).. Its way too much, and with too much sodium in body it helps hold the fat and water which is really bad.

"“I know this is the way I'm meant to be.” Janice’s daily diet includes ready-made dinners, which she said are less expensive and more convenient than cooking."
This woman is out for lunch ! Readymade dinners cost a lot more than homemade meals and are loaded with salt and sugar . Maybe the government will get lucky and the women won't live along time.

Yea, look at nutrient information and see for yourself how much sodium is in there (TV dinner).. Its way too much, and with too much sodium in body it helps hold the fat and water which is really bad.

I do that when I buy food check out the nutrient information and try to buy food with less salt and sugar added or sugar added . I buy peanut butter and apples sauce that has no salt or sugar.

Do you have any idea how much sodium is in these frozen entrees? Have you checked it? As soon as I checked, there was thumping sounds going off... Oh that was my jaw on the floor!

I do that when I buy food check out the nutrient information and try to buy food with less salt and sugar added or sugar added . I buy peanut butter and apples sauce that has no salt or sugar.

Lazy people is what I call them!

Do you have any idea how much sodium is in these frozen entrees? Have you checked it? As soon as I checked, there was thumping sounds going off... Oh that was my jaw on the floor!

Reread my post # 3 ! I was the one that brought up the facts the premade meals had a lot salt in sugar in them ! :roll: I am very aware of how much sodium is in the frozen meals and how much sugar is added to our food.

SO misinformed people, obesity is never something to be proud of! It's a condition that will contribute to additional health issues. I don't buy the genetic excuse, they also have the genes to be thin or pretty much any body type, just depends on the actions they choose. In this case, GROSSLY LAZY!

this been on tv it causing many to be antagonis towards people like this.Lazy lard arse's

Disgusting. :mad: Nothing to be proud of.

Maybe...and that's a big maybe...they'll waddle their fat arses down to the gym....at the tax payers expense, no doubt!

Maybe...and that's a big maybe...they'll waddle their fat arses down to the gym....at the tax payers expense, no doubt!

they do waddle to gym at tax payers expense three months nhs provided most of them don't bother.
Scotland for some reason has high fat arse problems..eat things like fried mars bars(choch caramel) yuk

I don't think that obesity is consider as disability in US unless you have food disorder.

I don't think that obesity is consider as disability in US unless you have food disorder.
:dunno:

I know that Parkinson's Disease isn't considered an automatic disability for Social Security, so I would think that obesity isn't either, unless it is the result of some other condition. (Obesity can be prevented but PD cannot, as a comparison.)

:dunno:

I know that Parkinson's Disease isn't considered an automatic disability for Social Security, so I would think that obesity isn't either, unless it is the result of some other condition. (Obesity can be prevented but PD cannot, as a comparison.)

My grandmother who had Parkinson's was really quite plump for the latter part of her life, as the Parkinson's kept her confined to a wheelchair, and as she couldn't walk, she gained weight.

This can happen with quite a few medical conditions.

I always try not to judge a person on their weight, as I don't know what is behind it.

My grandmother who had Parkinson's was really quite plump for the latter part of her life, as the Parkinson's kept her confined to a wheelchair, and as she couldn't walk, she gained weight.

This can happen with quite a few medical conditions.

I always try not to judge a person on their weight, as I don't know what is behind it.
That's why I stated unless the obesity is the result of some other condition.

PD, by itself, is not considered a disability until it gets to a certain stage, such as what your grandmother had.

That's why I stated unless the obesity is the result of some other condition.

PD, by itself, is not considered a disability until it gets to a certain stage, such as what your grandmother had.

Actually, my point was that obesity is not always preventable.

Actually, my point was that obesity is not always preventable.
True.

I was more focused on Fox's disability question. In that case, I guess it would depend on the cause of the obesity but not obesity by itself.

Back