Most and Least Obese U.S. States

It's very popular in South Carolina. Here, we use peanut oil for deep frying turkey (outdoors), a couple times a year, and deep frying catfish. Sometimes the pure peanut oil is too expensive, so we use the blended oils.

There are other opinions about peanut oil:

"Why Peanut Oil Is Great for Deep-Frying
Posted by Lee Zalben, May 26, 2011

. . . Peanut oil has a high smoke point and neutral taste which makes it perfect for frying foods. It's also low in saturated fat and high in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, making it healthier than frying with shortening or lard.

Cooking with peanut oil isn't an exclusively American thing. Peanut oil has been used throughout Asia for years. In fact, most Chinese restaurants in the U.S. use peanut oil exclusively in the kitchen.

One interesting thing about refined peanut oil, the kind used for most cooking and frying, is that it is made from raw (not roasted) peanuts and is processed under high heat, which eliminates all of the protein. This makes refined peanut oil safe for people with peanut allergies. (Note: cold pressed, or roasted aromatic peanut oil does contain peanut proteins and is not suitable for people with peanut allergies. These products will always be labeled as such.)

And while it's a little early to start thinking about Thanksgiving, peanut oil is every turkey fryer's best friend!"
Why Peanut Oil Is Great for Deep-Frying | Serious Eats

Yup, CFA uses peanut oil for frying, that's only one restaurant that I had seen with peanut oil, however there are local southern BBQ used peanut oil for frying too.

Maybe a bit off topic but when I was a kid, I used a little bacon grease to make popcorn. Num!

Maybe a bit off topic but when I was a kid, I used a little bacon grease to make popcorn. Num!
Sounds tasty! :)

My dad, who grew up on a farm in Indiana, taught me one of his childhood favorites. Take the hot bacon grease and mix it with sorghum molasses, and dip your homemade biscuits in it. Sounds gross but tastes yummy!

There was a science show on youtube that described how scientists have come up with numerous reasons other than diet and exercise for obesity. It's a combination of things like less sleep, less smoking, less gut bacteria, and the age of the mother. They've even found that rats exposed to industrial chemicals will be significantly fatter than the others, even when they're fed half as much.

And people who live in an extremely cold environment will actually tend to be slimmer. But since our climate control has developed so that all indoor spaces are always at 72 degrees, our bodies don't need to expend energy to regulate our own body temperature.

That's not to say that diet and exercise aren't contributing factors (especially in the southern US), but apparently they alone can't account for how fast obesity is increasing all over the world.

Back