Morning-after pills made available to N.Y. high school students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because teaching abstinence doesn't work, teaching abstinence only leads to teenagers who are having sex with out proper education about how their bodies work, and how stds are spread. This is coming from someone who was a teen parent, my school taught abstinence, I legitimately thought there was a safe period to have sex and then an unsafe period to have sex, because not only did the schools not teach me about how it worked but neither did my parents. I wouldn't trade my kids for the world now, I have twin boys but having twins at 18 was not easy and if I and other kids had been more educated about how their bodies work, and not taught to be embarrassed to buy condoms or contraceptives, there would be less teen pregnancies.

Sounds to me that proper sex education wasn't taught with the abstinence and your parents should have done a better job as well. Glad to hear you are a responsible and loving parent!

Kids can, and should, have both. In otherwords they need the full information about their whole body. Teaching a kid to avoid fatty food because it can damage the heart is just as important as teaching abstinence because irresponsible sex is always damaging. These kids need to know all the facts if "if you do that, this happens". And they also need the full information about how to avoid "this", regardless of what part of the body "this" pertains to. Making a wise decision about having sex includes the danger of having sex irresponsible and teaching them to hold off until they are fully aware of those dangers is logical.

I agree with that, education is key for the whole thing. Understanding the consequences, understanding how bodies work etc. The whole, 'don't have sex because you will get pregnant and die' approach doesn't work.

In order for two people to want a same sex marriage wouldn't they have had sex prior to? I was just trying to show that one thing leads to another when it comes to sex outside of marriage. Whether it be teen pregnancy, STD's, promiscuity, prostitution, etc. By changing the norm, society becomes more acceptable to corruption and thus we become less civilized. The consequences are reprehensible and creating a stumbling block for future generations. History is full of examples, if only we could all see and learn from them.

It is your personal belief to believe that same sex marriage is wrong, or immoral, however I'm on different side.

There are many people, especially heterosexual couples have sex before marriage and it is very common now.

I agree, education is the key. Still, there are situations to where curiosty becomes too much to control. We can keep our guns and liquor cabinets under lock and key....still teens will find a way to get a gun and alcohol....

We can preach absteince, wearing a Condom, etc. ...still there are teens who "listen" but don't really "listen"....and peer pressure becomes too much. Or just the fact, the teen is "too much in love" and it leads to having intercourse.

Some parents can be the best in the world, and their teen still get pregnant, Church-going family, educated, etc....Then there are parents who don't give a damn about their child....

"Accidents" happen...and the saying going is that "everybody is an accident"...meaning that it was an "unplanned pregnancy"....

We read about chldren having babies at age 10-11-12 and up....horrible!Whether it was by rape or just consenual and lack of education.

The "Morning-After Pill' is definately not for everyone. But as for a parent whose child is going to be sexual, no matter the preachings, education,etc., and there are many of them...it's a recourse from an unwanted pregnancy...a "child having a child"....

You said:

Same thing for the girl, her parents are the ones who make all medical decisions.

And the article has stated....as we have said...time and time again!....the Consent Form is sent home to the Parent(s)...it's up to the Parent(s) to sign it or not...What part of that don't you understand?

The school would not give the teen a Pill if the Parent did not authorize it beforehand.....

I totally understand the OP but totally disagree with it saying the parents would be required to sign a consent form for the school and a nurse. Why? Because it is best to have a doctor within the equation. I would certain agree that it would be possible to send a consent form home to the parents to allow the girl to be seen by a doctor and that doctor would have authorization (by the power of the consent form) to dispend a drug to a minor.

I think the giant problem the are going to have down the road is that they made this program "opt out" rather than "opt in". If the 98-99% participation rate they claim is factual....that would be a pretty good indicator that parents misunderstood/didn't read the form. :dunno: Let's hope a kid doesn't die of an allergic reaction so that we have to find out.

Did you not read where I posted "can Not just demand"? And yes there are many people that do go to doctors and DEMAND to be given a drug.......that happens everyday.

My point is still valid....a girl can NOT go to a nurse and say which drug she wants and be expected to get that drug. There had to be a diagnosis. And my little story about the girl lying can, and does, happen. You are right that no parents would want an unplanned pregnancy but my point is valid.......the girl is planning to have sex. And we all know what planning to have sex can led to.

Know why I think this is all happening? Because a minor girl can NOT walk into a pharmacy and purchase Plan B....only adult women can. There is NOT a drug on the market that FDA had NOT deemed "safe", however, we do continue to hear these recalls and pulling drugs back off the market and lawyers suing for damage due to a drug.

You seem to be a strong supported of teenage sex education and I really thank you for that. However, if one of your boys came to you and said to you: help me get this girl Plan B because my condom broke......what would you do? I would certainly hope you would not YOURSELF go get the pill and give it to the girl because to me that would be criminal. If it was my boy, I would immediately call together a conference of me, my boy, the girl and her parents. And I would offer financial assistance if necessary. I , and no one else does, make ALL medical decisions about my boy. Same thing for the girl, her parents are the ones who make all medical decisions.
Which includes if/of not she gets Plan B.

again... you need to sit down and learn all the facts before you speak.

Morning-after pills offered to NYC high school students - Vitals
“We’ve had no negative reaction to the CATCH program,” Kaplan said. “We haven’t had one objection. We’ve just had the opt-outs.”

The pilot program offers pregnancy testing, along with the Plan B morning-after emergency contraceptive pill, which helps prevent pregnancy when taken within 72 hours, and traditional birth control pills. To get Plan B, girls must see a nurse, who would obtain a doctor’s order for the drug, Kaplan said. For oral contraceptives, they would need to see a Health Department doctor, Kaplan said.

The Health Department is studying to the program before deciding whether to expand. In the last school year, fewer than 1,200 of the 12,000 girls enrolled in the 13 schools obtained the oral contraceptives. For the 2011-2012 school year, 567 students received Plan B and 580 received birth control pills, Kaplan said. Of the unplanned teen pregnancies in the city, about 64 percent are terminated, the city says.

Dr. Cora Breuner, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Adolescence, called the program, “totally new. Totally awesome.”

Teens nationwide aren’t doing a good job using birth control to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, she said, and most do not have access to contraception at school.

TEEN PREGNANCY COMPLICATIONS

7,000 girls under age 17 got pregnant last year citywide

90% of those pregnancies were unplanned

64% were aborted

2,200 became moms by age 17. About 70 percent drop out of school.

Source: NYC Department of Health

I believe this is a better solution than what rolling proposed.

I believe this is a better solution than what rolling proposed.

It is...no doubt about it...I would much rather my daughter to take the Morning-After Pill than to choose between an abortion, becoming a teen Mom with no education or giving the baby up for adoption.

There are too many single mothers w/illegimate children on the welfare rolls....And more and more grandparents are having to raise their grandchildren.

It is...no doubt about it...I would much rather my daughter to take the Morning-After Pill than to choose between an abortion, becoming a teen Mom with no education or giving the baby up for adoption.

There are too many single mothers w/illegimate children on the welfare rolls....And more and more grandparents are having to raise their grandchildren.

How is adoption a bad option?

Sometimes, Grandma is pretty much obligated to adopt when her child is the one giving up the kids. I think that is where she is speaking from. How does Grandma let her grandkids leave her life without tons of guilt?

Having a baby is no easy task...then having it taken away from you is very painful......So many teen moms will opt to have the baby, then give it up for adoption. But when the baby is born, they (or her parents) cannot do it....

And most people only want to adopt "newborns"...there are so many kids in adoption shelters, older ones...that have no hope of ever being adopted. All they wish for are 2 loving parents....many of them born to single mothers, abusive parents, etc....Even animals take better care of their babies/children than some adults do.

I would not wish upon my teenage daughter to have a baby at a very young age, and I would not want her to have an abortion either.....I would hope for my daughter to get an education, even college.

My boys were 6, 8 and 11 when they were adopted. Luckily, I was able to keep all 3 of them together (since they were brothers)....other kids are not so lucky....they get seperated from their siblings as adopting 3 at one time isn't an easy job....But the rewards are wonderful!

Looks to me that members are posting new "facts" that are not in the OP. So don't blame me for staying within the OP and my points are valid.

Looks to me that members are posting new "facts" that are not in the OP. So don't blame me for staying within the OP and my points are valid.

Some of them are using real life experiences. Is this OK?

your points are invalid because you lack common sense. these are not "new facts". it's been known for a long long long time that under 18 cannot get Plan B without prescription and there would obviously be doctors involved in this CATCH program.

NYC is one of the most litigious places in America and has 2nd most lawyers in America. do you really think NYC especially Mayor Bloomberg would be stupid to come up with CATCH Program without thinking thru carefully to cover all legal issues?

all you have to do is spend several seconds to google for more information. and listen! we have been telling you FACTS in the beginning and you have been ignoring it until now...... and all you came up with is "so don't blame me" excuse? wow.... just wow.... unbelievable. and classless.

Sometimes, Grandma is pretty much obligated to adopt when her child is the one giving up the kids. I think that is where she is speaking from. How does Grandma let her grandkids leave her life without tons of guilt?

That would be tough.....even as a Grandpa

NYC is one of the most litigious places in America and has 2nd most lawyers in America. do you really think NYC especially Mayor Bloomberg would be stupid to come up with CATCH Program without thinking thru carefully to cover all legal issues?.

Yes

Having a baby is no easy task...then having it taken away from you is very painful......So many teen moms will opt to have the baby, then give it up for adoption. But when the baby is born, they (or her parents) cannot do

Multiple abortions are not unheard of. A lot of lessons get missed by avoiding consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back