More than one Deaf Community?

I am sure the Deaf population is much higher since it's closer to 1 million in 1990... according to Gallaudet.

The rate of deafness has been decreasing since the 50's. Hearing loss from illness (fever, menegitis, etc) is now drastically in the last 50 years.

Plus, the 1 million number was referencing ASL users. That includes CODA's and people who use ASL for other reasons, not just the Deaf.

The rate of deafness has been decreasing since the 50's. Hearing loss from illness (fever, menegitis, etc) is now drastically in the last 50 years.

Plus, the 1 million number was referencing ASL users. That includes CODA's and people who use ASL for other reasons, not just the Deaf.

Hence...

Why they say there's more people who are Deaf than there are people who are Deaf AS WELL AS have a hearing loss.

A huge percentage of deafness is genetic. I'm the 3rd affected generation that I know of in my family. You're not going to be able to get rid of us that easy. :D

A huge percentage of deafness is genetic. I'm the 3rd affected generation that I know of in my family. You're not going to be able to get rid of us that easy. :D

gee, we post at the same time with the type of post. twice LOL

We're not sure where I inherited the genetic condition I have but my kids have it also. No we're not going anywhere soon.

My father's hearing loss was due to malaria during Korean conflict and my mother is only noticing a decline in hearing due to age.

Last edited:
most deaf are genetic. So you can't slow down genetic traits.

Actually, a lot deafness is of unknown origin. Only some causes are ever discovered. Of that percentage, some are part of an overriding "syndrome" (such as Ushers). Of the "non-syndromatic" portion, about 50% is genetic.

LOL! No matter how hard the hearies try, they cant get rid of us! :lol:

Inherited genetic defects play an important role in congenital hearing loss, contributing to about 60 percent of deafness occurring in infants.

Fact Sheet: Genes and Hearing Loss

Those of us who are from families with genetic hearing loss are more likely to identify with the deaf community.

We're not sure where I inherited the genetic condition I have but my kids have it also. No we're not going anywhere soon.

My father's hearing loss was due to malaria during Korean conflict and my mother is only noticing a decline in hearing due to age.

Mutated X linked gene.

I have no idea, nor do I have the means to tap into medical science to find out.

However there are several theories I have been told, one, I do not have an ear drum in my left ear or two I have no hair follicles in my left ear canal. Either way it is congenital which is from birth and I have profound/total deafness in my left ear and I am HOH in my right.

No.

To be Deaf you would be defined as having a hearing loss AND subscribing to the mores, beliefs, and ideals of the sub-culture.

Right... then explain how CODAs are considered as Deaf. And why some people consider interpreters as Deaf? Oh, and why some Deaf communities accept hearing families with deaf children to be Deaf?

No.

To be Deaf you would be defined as having a hearing loss AND subscribing to the mores, beliefs, and ideals of the sub-culture.

Nope...hearing people can be considered Deaf.

The same goes for those who work in the DeafBlind community.

Take Vampy or Shel90, their time in the DB community, a DB person recognises them via tactile would be known as DeafBlind.

Jillio is known as Deaf by her own Deaf peers although she is hearing.

To receive this is considered the highest honour and a sign of respect.

Right... then explain how CODAs are considered as Deaf. And why some people consider interpreters as Deaf? Oh, and why some Deaf communities accept hearing families with deaf children to be Deaf?

They aren't. They are hearing members of the Deaf community. They aren't Deaf.

And even if you are right, that is 1 million out of the 36 million people with a hearing loss (and we are doubling the first number to include thosands of hearing people). Therefore the vast majority of deaf and hoh people do not belong to the Deaf community.

Back