More school

Ethereal

Reaction score
Ok, I need some more information for school. I have three questions I'd be grateful if you could answer. If you'd like to keep your answers secret, you may PM them to me, if you like.

1. What is your opinion of adoption in general?
  2. What do you think of hearing adults adopting deaf children?
  3. What do you think of deaf adults adopting hearing children?

I appreciate any help you're willing to give. Thanks

Moses was adopted. So sometimes it is good to adopted.
I never heard that Deaf Adults can adopt.
But I heard many hearing deaf adults adopted deaf children,
Vampryo was adopted and he is deaf. I think.

Ethereal said:
Ok, I need some more information for school. I have three questions I'd be grateful if you could answer. If you'd like to keep your answers secret, you may PM them to me, if you like.

1) I definitely have to write a essay or article about orphans someday... two weeks ago I decided to visit several orphanages in other state (Nevada), and it got me sick... I begin to understand why several medical articles mentioned that nearly 65% of orphans have to be on prescribed medicines to 'simmer' down or to 'uplift' their depressions and such. I dunno about other orphanages in different states, I will visit these places someday to form my full opinion... but as of this moment, to sum up my opinion about orphanages: it is hell. Sorry, I was offtopicing... adoption? Well, funny thing that you bring it up... Nas and I am going to adopt one hearing gal (7 years old), it is quite long story, I will make a topic about it someday to hear out some of your opinions. As of general, I think it is ok. It is hard for me to not add anything about what I saw at these orphanages in Nevada... I guess adoption is nice way to get the kids out of these 'hell' but more and more parents are not taking their responsibilities for these orphans.. even their own kids.

2) As long as they do have the capability to understand the deaf children and their needs & feelings, I think it is ok for hearing 'parents' to adopt these deafies. I believe hearing 'parents' are required to able to communicate in ASL or any form of sign language like SEE or whatever to provide the full access for deaf kids to communicate

3) Well, Nas is a hearing woman... however we will adopt a 7 years old hearing girl... once we are done with the court (again, it is quite long story). I think it is ok for deaf parents to adopt hearing kids -- same as I said about hearing parents above, they are required to provide the equal access for hearing kids on communication issue or even understand their feelings & needs.

Concerning about 2 & 3, to be able to understand the kids and their needs & feelings is very, very important... That's what I learned from recent event (and still do)

Ethereal said:
What is your opinion of adoption in general?
I think it's an excellent idea. There are some parents who are unable to have children of their own so they look to adoption. It's an opportunity for them to raise kids on their own. There are also kids who are orphaned or given away because their real mother cannot care for them. They need homes and this is a good idea for that as well.
Ethereal said:
What do you think of hearing adults adopting deaf children?
I'm adopted myself. I'm deaf. My parents are hearing. They thought it was "God's Gift" when I was given to them. My parents were unable to have children on their own so they turned to foster care. After caring for many kids from time to time, they eventually adopted me... then my sisters and brother.
Ethereal said:
What do you think of deaf adults adopting hearing children?
My reply would be the same... a good idea. Better than nothing. Communication will be a big challenge though. ;)

about what I saw at these orphanages in Nevada.
Urmmm...don't you mean group homes or centers? They don't really have orphanages nowadays, at least not the old fashioned kind (ala in Annie or Boys Town)

deafdyke said:
Urmmm...don't you mean group homes or centers? They don't really have orphanages nowadays, at least not the old fashioned kind (ala in Annie or Boys Town)
Yeah, something like that. To be honest, I don't know the right word for that... so I used this word, 'orphanages'. Now you mentioned 'group homes' or centers... I will use that word from now, thanks!

Ethereal said:

I think adoption is great but too many Americans focus on adopting kids overseas, neglecting our American needy children. It seems like more "exotic" to adopt a cute baby Chinese girl than a little girl right in your backyard.

I have no qualms about hearing adults adopting deaf children as long as these parents are willing to learn ASL, whatnot. I know many interpreters here who adopted deaf children from Russia and Colombia.

I see no problem in deaf parents adopting hearing children. I am a mother of 2 hearing children so what is stopping these deaf parents wanting to adopt hearing children????? I have a friend who is deaf and she adopted a hearing Chinese girl.

I don't think that it's because we neglect our own needy children in this country, but sometimes the problems are much more serious in other countries where the children have less chances of succeeding. I'd like to adopt a deaf child or two from Vietnam or S.E. Asia, mostly because I have read some stories about deaf people in these countries. Some of them get to be negelected and grow up without any language, and sometimes work on the street peddling or soliciting. So... it would be nice to give these children from abroad a better shot at lives than back at their native homes.

very kind hearted

Agreed. Deaf people / children in SouthEast Asia and developing countries get less chance to succeed than those in the U.S. or Europe. You are very kind-hearted to consider adopting a deaf child from Vietnam, Cambodia, or so.

I think adoption is wonderful and more people should do it. I don't think it matters whether the adoptee is deaf or hearing, a loving and stable home should be all that matters.

Laura

Back