more interpreter issues...UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would an oral only individual need an ASL terp?

it's against AD policy to ask about ADer's ban

Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom

I am sorry to hear you had to go through that. I cannot believe how unprofessional and rude you terp was being, you should not and do not have to put up with that (even as a minor). All you should have to worry about is normal kids stuff. I wish I could have been there for you in person. I am glad that you got a new terp, hope you have a better time with the new one.

I look forward to future updates about the new terp. Go you!

Just reading through this all after it popped up on the new posts search...what a nightmare!

Why do some terps also think they're your mom/guardian/etc? That's just insulting.

Anywho, sending you well wishes for the new year!

I think it's because they feel like they need to take control of the student's behavior as if they are the teacher of the classroom. I remember, in middle school, my science teacher left the room to go talk to another teacher and left my interpreter in charge to watch the class. And Boy was she MEAN! She would say that If anybody was talking during class and not focusing on their assignment, they would get dentition-straightaway. She actually gave a few referrals--meaning like a warning. She even gave me one! And I remember thinking that it was not her job to do any of that. She would always do this scary look on her face as if she was extremely disappointed of you misbehaving in class..I mean we were kids, we're not going to be mature adults in the next 10 seconds.

If there is not any communication happening, when the teacher leaves the room, the interpreter should also leave the room. After all, the teachers who don't have terps available to babysit have to leave their classrooms unattended. Otherwise, the terp can stay but only to interpret, not babysit.

My terp always stayed in classroom when teacher left, then I can ask questions, get clarify about things teacher said. Sometimes I miss things, then I can ask terp what I miss.

Wow, this sounds absolutely terrible, I'm happy it's been resolved. I hope you get a terp that you mesh really well with in the future. This has given me new resolve to NOT be like this interpreter when I get my certificate.

Again, I'm really happy for you!!

My terp always stayed in classroom when teacher left, then I can ask questions, get clarify about things teacher said. Sometimes I miss things, then I can ask terp what I miss.
Does your teacher often leave the room?

Does your terp babysit the class?

If the teacher doesn't leave the room, who do you ask questions of and get clarification about the things the teacher said?

If hearing students miss something that the teacher said, and the teacher leaves the room, who do they ask?

If there is not any communication happening, when the teacher leaves the room, the interpreter should also leave the room. After all, the teachers who don't have terps available to babysit have to leave their classrooms unattended. Otherwise, the terp can stay but only to interpret, not babysit.

It really depends. Some classroom interpreters have the "luxury" of being an interpreter only. Others have the added responsibility of being a classroom aide. Since classroom interpreters are (usually) employed by the school, it's ultimately the school's decision what duties they will be expected to perform.

It really depends. Some classroom interpreters have the "luxury" of being an interpreter only. Others have the added responsibility of being a classroom aide. Since classroom interpreters are (usually) employed by the school, it's ultimately the school's decision what duties they will be expected to perform.

If a student has it written in their IEP that they will have an interpreter for the school day, then they are there for the student. Yes, the district or county office hires them but they are there to provide access to communication. They have an obligation to try to prevent something dangerous from happening, but they aren't there to "baby sit" the students. I'm sure Reba can elaborate more...

Some districts try to wriggle out of responsibilities, including not hiring certified terps. They achieve this by writing in the students IEP that they will have a classroom "aid" that signs, or something to that effect. This way they aren't legally obligated to provide a certified interpreter.

Parents should be aware of this. I'd never sign off on an IEP if it was not clear that my child were to have a certified interpreter.

More

Does your teacher often leave the room?

Does your terp babysit the class?

If the teacher doesn't leave the room, who do you ask questions of and get clarification about the things the teacher said?

If hearing students miss something that the teacher said, and the teacher leaves the room, who do they ask?

I finish school now, but for when I was in high school:

Not very much teacher leaves room.
Terp didn't babysit. Terp only there for me and Dallas.
When I take notes, I make notes where I want questions or clarifying. I will ask terp after class, if teacher leaves, or I ask my friends after. Sometimes put hand up, ask teacher right then, like hearies do. I do this last resort, because I don't like interrupt the class.

I finish school now, but for when I was in high school:

Not very much teacher leaves room.
Terp didn't babysit. Terp only there for me and Dallas.
Good. :)

When I take notes, I make notes where I want questions or clarifying. I will ask terp after class, if teacher leaves, or I ask my friends after. Sometimes put hand up, ask teacher right then, like hearies do. I do this last resort, because I don't like interrupt the class.
That's good to raise your hand and ask the teacher questions during class, just like the hearies do. That's appropriate for high school and college students.

Sometimes hearies ask questions just for get teacher off topic or waste time. Not me! Not like that.

Sometimes hearies ask questions just for get teacher off topic or waste time. Not me! Not like that.
Good for you! Teachers shouldn't mind sincere questions.

If a student has it written in their IEP that they will have an interpreter for the school day, then they are there for the student. Yes, the district or county office hires them but they are there to provide access to communication. They have an obligation to try to prevent something dangerous from happening, but they aren't there to "baby sit" the students. I'm sure Reba can elaborate more...
I don't get involved with the IEP process, so I can't address how that's handled.

In the elementary schools, I've noticed that the interpreter is more of a teacher's aid in that do additional duties beyond the scope of interpreter. This is especially true with multi-handicapped mainstreamed deaf kids. Honestly, I think elementary kids would be better served by having signing teachers rather than terps. I don't think the little ones understand the role of the interpreter.

Starting with middle school, I notice the terps become more like terp/tutors.

My personal opinion is the interpreters shouldn't be left to watch high school students when the teacher leaves the room. Classroom management should be handled the same way for all classes, whether a deaf student is present or not. I'm OK with the terp staying in the room if it's for communication purposes only for the deaf student. I'm not OK with the terp being left to keep an eye on all the students, unless it's a true emergency. It shouldn't be an expected routine duty.

I have the luxury of being a substitute public school terp. I tell the principal or sub coordinator up front that I will be interpreting only, nothing else. So far, they've been fine with that. I do know full-time school terps who have had additional duties, including administrative tasks, bus driving, diaper changing, and medication dispensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back