MoPix

Calphool

Reaction score
Has anyone been to a theatre with one of these MoPix systems?

MoPix – Motion Picture Access

I'm thinking about trying to organize an outreach program through my church to set up a fund to help pay to get one of these installed at our local theatre. I'm interested in finding out how well they work. Anyone know?

Hmm....according to the site, it's a rear window captioning system. I'm sorry but this really sucks. I had experienced this at a movie theater, and I didn't like it very much. From what I understand, many people didn't like it either. I'd recommend your church look into the open-captioning option instead.

Hmmm... the thing is, the deaf community around here is kind of small, so I don't think the theatre will do open captioning. This may be the best I can push through.

Do you think it's even worth the bother then? Is rear captioning really bad? What makes it bad?

Well, as you probably know, there are two parts to the rear window captioning system. One is the caption projector, which looks like these little scrolling message devices except that the letters are reversed like mirror images. The other part are all these thingies (sorry, not sure what to call these) that look like rectangles of plexiglas connected to flexible metal arms, the kind like you see on goose lamps. You insert one of these things in your seat's arm cupholder. (No idea how seats without cupholders are handled, though.) You're supposed to adjust the metal arm so you can see the letters from the caption projector reflected onto the glass.

It looks like a good idea on paper. But there were some issues -- it's not always easy to see the captions, especially if the moive image has lots of light colors at the moment. You could work around this by adjusting the glass so the captions are reflected against the dark area right under or above the screen, but that makes watching the movie difficult (especially if it's a big screen like in a stadium-style theater) since captions are a bit out of way. Plus, it may cause eyestrain in some people because the captions are close to your eyes but the screen is far away.

Also, a friend of mine wrote about her experience with rear window captioning at this url: Rear Window Caption Display System

Well, as you probably know, there are two parts to the rear window captioning system. One is the caption projector, which looks like these little scrolling message devices except that the letters are reversed like mirror images. The other part are all these thingies (sorry, not sure what to call these) that look like rectangles of plexiglas connected to flexible metal arms, the kind like you see on goose lamps. You insert one of these things in your seat's arm cupholder. (No idea how seats without cupholders are handled, though.) You're supposed to adjust the metal arm so you can see the letters from the caption projector reflected onto the glass.

It looks like a good idea on paper. But there were some issues -- it's not always easy to see the captions, especially if the moive image has lots of light colors at the moment. You could work around this by adjusting the glass so the captions are reflected against the dark area right under or above the screen, but that makes watching the movie difficult (especially if it's a big screen like in a stadium-style theater) since captions are a bit out of way. Plus, it may cause eyestrain in some people because the captions are close to your eyes but the screen is far away.

Also, a friend of mine wrote about her experience with rear window captioning at this url: Rear Window Caption Display System

I did see that there was an update on that URL saying from 2005 saying "our second experience was more positive." Is it possible that it just takes a while to get used to? It does seem like training the theatre people is important -- if they make it too difficult to use, it will be a major distraction. It's too bad the screen thing isn't built into the seats some way.

Back