Moped or scooter rentals at Key West, FLA

WhoKnows

Reaction score
I remembered 12 years ago, my family and I went to Key West, FLA for our family vacation. We went to moped and scooter rentals shop. Everyone in my family got scooters except me. The salesman said, I can't rent a scooter because I am deaf according to their policy. My grandfather and his friend got mad at salesman for not letting me to have a rental scooter. We cancelled the rental scooters immediately due to my situation and walked out.

I wonder, Did the scooter rentals salesman say No to deaf customers too this year?

I hope to hear from others about Key West moped rentals...

FYI: I had no problem renting a moped bike in Bermuda
for a week vacation a few years ago.

You should sued them for this stupid policy, it is alike police telling deaf u cant drive because ur deaf.

Absolutely right, it is ridiculous policy. :pissed: It was 12 years ago anyway.

Actually, I'm curious about this year to see if their policy may changed or not.

Why don't you try calling one of the scooter places in Key West and ask them about it? I am sure you would get your answer that you need to know. :)

ButterflyGirl said:
Why don't you try calling one of the scooter places in Key West and ask them about it? I am sure you would get your answer that you need to know. :)

You are right by calling one of the scooter place.. Some shop owners or managers at Key West, Fla may play smart game on the phone over the policy. It is hard to trust over the phone unless seeing official black and white paper.

my date and I had no problems renting a scooter for the day in bahamas. How old were u 12 years ago?

WhoKnows said:
You are right by calling one of the scooter place.. Some shop owners or managers at Key West, Fla may play smart game on the phone over the policy. It is hard to trust over the phone unless seeing official black and white paper.

How do you know? that was before ADA era.

Just ask the manager if they can rent to deaf customers. They cannot say "No" to any deaf driver who has driver ID since they do not want to see any lawsuit against their business....

I was over 21 years old, got a valid driver license and don't have any health problem at all. Evenly, I was physical strong and athletic shape that time. Addtion, I had a no problem in renting a car at Key West, FLA through. Strangely, I was not allowed to rent a scooter or moped bike there.

Next time do it as you only have 180 days...

WhoKnows said:
I remembered 12 years ago, my family and I went to Key West, FLA for our family vacation. We went to moped and scooter rentals shop. Everyone in my family got scooters except me. The salesman said, I can't rent a scooter because I am deaf according to their policy. My grandfather and his friend got mad at salesman for not letting me to have a rental scooter. We cancelled the rental scooters immediately due to my situation and walked out.

I wonder, Did the scooter rentals salesman say No to deaf customers too this year?

Normally you can file complaint with the State of Florida, but it has to be under 180 days....so next time it happens, please do it right away.

I rented scooter at Daytona Beach years ago when I was there for Spring Break. Not a problem.

Talk to Florida Association of the Deaf and see what evolves for future users.

:whistle:

Back