Monkey bites boy in store

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score
Monkey bites boy in store

BY LINDSAY FABER
Staff Writer

August 2, 2004, 9:03 PM EDT

It was primate vs. primate at a Brooklyn grocery store when a 10-pound monkey bit a 2-year-old boy being wheeled by his grandparents in a shopping cart, authorities said yesterday.

Darla, a 5-year-old Macaque service monkey who retrieves items for his paraplegic owner, bit Thomas Romano on the arm Sunday after the toddler grabbed her fur three times, the monkey's owner said.

Steven Seidler, 45, of Mill Basin, said he uses a laser pointer to indicate what he needs the monkey to retrieve. At Key Food, Seidler said, Darla was getting items for him off the shelves.

"Darla is my life," Seidler said yesterday. "The kid just reached over and grabbed her. I was shocked she took so much abuse before biting him."

The boy's grandmother, Helene Romano, 47, said the monkey went ape on young Thomas, who did not even notice the animal until he was bitten in the vegetable aisle.

"I'm walking into the Key Food, and the next thing I know, my grandson is like, 'Grandma, Grandma it hurts!' And I'm looking around and I see blood coming out of his arm," Helene Romano said.

Police arrived at the scene after the 4 p.m. incident and did not issue any summonses to Seidler, who had all the proper paperwork for Darla.

"I'm telling the lady, 'Get your kid away from my monkey!'" Seidler recalled.

Helene Romano believes the monkey is violent and should be in a zoo. She claims Seidler tried to leave the scene and had to be stopped by several people in the store, and that his monkey has attacked before, according to his neighbors.

"I'm an animal lover myself, but this monkey does not belong with this man," she said.

Seidler, who lives alone and depends on the monkey to groom and bathe him, claims he has never seen Darla get angry before, and he said he typically doesn't frequent the Key Food store on Avenue U.

"I almost never go there. It was Sunday. I needed a quart of milk," he said. "Usually, things get delivered to me. Next thing I know, my monkey is getting ripped apart by some kid."

Romano was treated and released from Maimonedes Hospital.

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.

My goodness... Should he keep the monkey or not?

if he already has all the proper documents and etc for the monkey plus the monkey being already up to date on her rabies shots and etc -- then i do not see any reason why the monkey should be yanked from the owner -- the owner of the monkey has said hes TRIED to tell the grandma to keep the kid away from the monkey and apparently she didnt listen to him --

i personally think that the kid's grandma should have known better and kept the kid under closer supervision -- after all this kid is only 2 years old and they DO get into EVERYTHING and dont yet understand the meaning of "stay away" or "do not touch" cuz they typically IGNORE those commands

Yes.. Seems he have the information that he had a right to have him to help with his disablities. Sigh, I hope they wont take the monkey away from him. It was grandmother's fault for not listening also let her grandson picked on the monkey without her attention. Grandmother is the careless one.

Well the monkey was trained to help the disabled and he has the right to take the monkey to the store to retrieve items for the man..the woman should realize that and tell the kid to leave the monkey alone..i blame the mother really..maybe the disabled people should have a little sign on the monkey to let people that it is not to be touched period. Im sure it was vacinnated for rabies and all. Same thing with blind people who have guide dogs, they are not to be petted at all..I had a blind friend ( she has since moved away) told people please not to pet him as he is working..she is right.

It wasn't the mother it was the grandma Defee,

I dunno what to say on this one because the child is 2 years old and of course they aren't that gentle when it comes to animals....And beside the grandmother should have been with her 2 years grandson the whole time , then maybe nothing like this would have happened ....

And for the owner of that monkey, when you take a pet in the store with you, you have to be sure your pet wouldn't bite anyone for any reasons, have to train your pet before taken him/her inside a store where there will be people around and even children....

^Angel^ said:
It wasn't the mother it was the grandma Defee,

I dunno what to say on this one because the child is 2 years old and of course they aren't that gentle when it comes to animals....And beside the grandmother should have been with her 2 years grandson the whole time , then maybe nothing like this would have happened ....

And for the owner of that monkey, when you take a pet in the store with you, you have to be sure your pet wouldn't bite anyone for any reasons, have to train your pet before taken him/her inside a store where there will be people around and even children....
Well ooopsy..my bad..i meant grandmother.
I think its people's responsiblity to watch the kids to make sure they dont get into trouble as they have no concept of danger at that age so i still blame the adult..that man has the right to take the monkey with him on shopping trips to help him do stuff for him and people should respect that. Im sure he told the child not to bother the monkey as he could not pick up the monkey to keep child from touching it..but you know how children are....

That's what the owner of the monkey said, but we really do not know what exactly happened since the 2 years old unable to speak for himself and the grandmother wasn't even there at that moment when it happened, so I wouldn't listen to the grandmother's side cause she has the fault in this too, but since the owner of the monkey and the child are the only two who were there at that time it did happened, I rather to hear two side of the story instead of one....That's why I dunno what to say on this story here, it would be nice to have a few witness since alot of people do cover up their stories instead of taken the blame.....Just my opinion!

boy been biten.. seesh.. never thought that people can own a monkey.. that'll be cool ..

i think.. the monkey should be taken away.. cuz once the animal attacks a human.. then they'll do it again..

BTW what's paraplegic??? :dunno:

Deafscuba -- paraplegic = paralyzed from neck down (like Christoper Reeves from his horse accident)

Angel -- the man was UNABLE to physically retrieve the monkey and YES the monkey was already trained

He should keep the monkey. That little brat deserved it... shouldn't have yanked that fur in the first place! It's not just that monkey... dogs do the same thing. You yank their tail and they will bite. You yank a cat's tail and they'll claw you.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i think.. the monkey should be taken away.. cuz once the animal attacks a human.. then they'll do it again..

No, because the toddler provoked the monkey to defend itself by biting. Sure, it was a toddler to us.

But to the monkey, the toddler was a threat, and was being abused. You wouldn't like to have you hair pulled, would you?

Nobody like to have their hair pulled, and the same goes for animals. The monkey had the right to defend itself. The monkey did not randomly attack people and it's highly unlikely the monkey will attack again unless it is provoked.

oh boy!!! grandparents know better keep this boy away monkey.. seem to me that boy bother this monkey and made monkey mad and bit him!!! GEEZ!

^Angel^ said:
That's what the owner of the monkey said, but we really do not know what exactly happened since the 2 years old unable to speak for himself and the grandmother wasn't even there at that moment when it happened, so I wouldn't listen to the grandmother's side cause she has the fault in this too, but since the owner of the monkey and the child are the only two who were there at that time it did happened, I rather to hear two side of the story instead of one....That's why I dunno what to say on this story here, it would be nice to have a few witness since alot of people do cover up their stories instead of taken the blame.....Just my opinion!

It was mentioned in the article that the boy had tugged the monkey's fur several times before Darla bit him -- she didn't like having her fur tugged like that by the boy. That's why she bit him.
Overall, I reckon it was the grandmother's fault for not keeping a close watch over her grandson and preventing him from teasing the monkey.

PurpleRose71 said:
It was mentioned in the article that the boy had tugged the monkey's fur several times before Darla bit him -- she didn't like having her fur tugged like that by the boy. That's why she bit him.
Overall, I reckon it was the grandmother's fault for not keeping a close watch over her grandson and preventing him from teasing the monkey.

I know that PurpleRose, I said that what the owner of the monkey said, that not enough information for me to believe that! I rather to hear two side of the story instead of one, and I can not believe the grandma's side of the story because she wasn't around when it happened and since the little one is unable to speak of what happened that leaves the owner himself.....

In my opinon, I think the monkey should be put on a leash or something like that...just like the leash on a dog

VamPyroX said:
He should keep the monkey. That little brat deserved it... shouldn't have yanked that fur in the first place! It's not just that monkey... dogs do the same thing. You yank their tail and they will bite. You yank a cat's tail and they'll claw you.
lol my dog has tried to bite me before when i pulled out some "shedding" fur off her body lol

Steel said:
In my opinon, I think the monkey should be put on a leash or something like that...just like the leash on a dog

The monkey is not a pet, it is a worker. He retrieves whatever the owner ask for.

Macaque Monkey looks like this:

Macaque%20Monkey%20485041.jpg

They are very intelligent animals.

Even if it is on a leash, the kiddo could have just kept getting in the monkey's space. It wouldn't matter either way.

I think the Grandmother needs to get a life, and take responsibility for little stupid actions in life. Some people just won't take responsibility.

HelloKittyGal said:
Even if it is on a leash, the kiddo could have just kept getting in the monkey's space. It wouldn't matter either way.

I think the Grandmother needs to get a life, and take responsibility for little stupid actions in life. Some people just won't take responsibility.
you are right and besides he cant be on leash if he has to get items for the disabled man, geez!..
that grandma was just making excuses for her grandson so i dont believe her, she should have watched that child and dont let him run around like a wild animal heh! Its her fault in this whole thing is all..

Back