Mom to deaf child

lilmomma

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Traci, and my daughter Annabelle is 6. She is deaf and has a CI in her rt ear. Her speech is getting better with time and patience but I would like to learn sign as well for when she is not wearing her CI. Any advice?

Wirelessly posted

hi! I am also the hearing parent of a deaf child. My daughter is 8 and has bilateral CIs.

the easiest way to start learning some basic signs would probably be the "signing time" dvds. They have lots of basic vocab.

also, where do you live? There could be a Deaf community center nearby that offers ASL classes. It would probably be a great help to meet some Deaf people and learn from them.

good luck!

WELCOME! I think its great you are learning sign! You can order sign stickers for around the help to help you and everyone else in family learn some home signs :) Good luck!

:wave: hi, another mom of a little bilateral CI-Borg here! My daughter is 5yo, equally comfortable with both sign & spoken language.

We started with Family sign in our home, provided free by the state to families, friends, and neighbors of a deaf child -- anyone who might want to come over for lessons. We used the Signing Naturally Series of workbooks and frequent visits to SigningSavvy and ASL pro online. my husband and I took classes at a school for the deaf, they offer them to students' families ( adults) for free, at some cost to the public. I'd love to take classes at a local college, but at nearly $3k a semester, and taking me away from home until very late at night, it's a little bit out of my range. I attend LOTS of meetings where everything is conducted in sign and gets fast and furious, thank goodness for the interpreters, but each opportunity helps me get a bit more comfortable. I've heard great things about attending evening chat at bars or coffee houses, but with a5yo at home and living a long way from the city where this takes place, I really don't have that chance :).

Welcome, and hope you enjoy developing a new language with your little one.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi. My name is Traci, and my daughter Annabelle is 6. She is deaf and has a CI in her rt ear. Her speech is getting better with time and patience but I would like to learn sign as well for when she is not wearing her CI. Any advice?

lilimomma, that's awesome!!! One thing you could do, is enroll her in a Deaf Ed program, so she can learn ASL. Look around, and contact Alabama School for the Deaf for resources. Say that you're very interested in having Annabelle learn ASL, and are interested in educatonal programs.

Back