Mom of 3month old with hearing loss

Chances are, he is going on visual cues and responding to those rather than the whispering or the speaking.
Awareness of visual and touch stimulus can be heightened when the aural stimulus is lower.

Example... Even though I cannot hear whispers, I can feel the breath of whispering up to 1 feet behind my neck.

Please keep us posted. My 2-month-old son is in the same boat, so I'd love to know what happens with your son.

Odduck, what type of conductive loss does she have? Does she have something called atresia? That is strange that she's falling behind with her speech ...most hoh kids don't tend to have deaf style speech delays.

I was under the impression that most of her hearing loss is caused by fluid. No one has mentioned really anything else, though I do remember reading on one report something regarding the possibility of hair dysfunction. She's now been scheduled for surgery in October. She will be 15mo then.

We were at the ENT earlier this week and we discussed her lack of oral communication/comprehension. His only suggestion at this point was to speak loudly and directly to her. :lol: She is now squeals when unhappy, laughs and will wave bye-bye. She'll be a year in a few weeks.

Please keep us posted. My 2-month-old son is in the same boat, so I'd love to know what happens with your son.
FYI, I don't think NewMom has been to the Forum since last February. So you may want to send her a message. Hope this helps! And good luck!

Back