Mom Claims Child Was Forced To Eat Jalapenos At School

sara1981

Reaction score
Mom Claims Child Was Forced To Eat Jalapenos At School
Mom Claims Child Was Forced To Eat Jalapenos At School - Albuquerque News Story - KOAT Albuquerque

RIO RANCHO, N.M. -- A local mother is furious after she said her daughter was forced to eat spoonfuls of jalapenos at school.

Rio Rancho mom Michelle Bond said she's flaming mad.
"This is not acceptable behavior," Bond said.

A bunch of third-graders at Vista Grande Elementary in Rio Rancho like to play a game on nacho day where they eat as many jalapeno peppers as they can. Bond said administrators tried to stop the game by making the children accountable for every pepper they took.

"(The assistant principal told me,) 'I made sure to stand right there at the salad bar, and it told those children -- you will eat every single jalapeno that you take,'" Bond said.

Bond said her daughter followed orders and had to swallow two spoonfuls of the spicy green garnish.

"If you remember, there was a woman who was recently arrested for making her son eat Tabasco sauce. This is not acceptable behavior," Bond said.

But the school district's version of what happened that day is completely different than Bond's account. In fact, the district said no students were forced to eat jalapenos.

"We don't condone forcing kids to eat things they don't want to eat as any form of punishment. I don't believe that happened in this case, I know it didn't happen," Director of Rio Rancho Student Services Sherri Carver said. "She could've took the sentence, 'Only take what you can eat' meaning as, 'I have to eat every single one.'"

Eight-year-old Katia Bond doesn't agree with Carver.

"She said that we have to eat every single food that we get… or she's gonna call our parents," Katia said.

Bond said she filed a police report because she doesn't believe the school district is doing enough to deal with the situation.

Two different sides to the story. Only those who were involved know the truth.

I doubt seriously that kids are forced to eat peppers in this school system. Another parent going off on a tangent without enough information.

Honestly, if the kid was going to get the food, she should've been made to eat it. Sorry if this sounds tough but parents should teach their kids not to waste food. If their kids do waste food the kid should have to eat it. I've heard numerous parents say this and I think that this mom is just looking for some extra doe.

I have to say, I'm in agreement with ki4jgt. That's the way I was raised. It's a shame to see all the food that we, as a society, waste on a daily basis. She got the food, she should have ate it. It's not so much the staff FORCING her to eat it as it is just common sense; You should never take more than you need. FORCING her to eat the pepper would mean they hold the girl down, force her jaw/mouth open, and make her eat it. If none of this happened, then they didn't force her to eat it. She did it by choice. If the staff was going to call her mother, then the mother could have simply said "She doesn't have to eat anything she doesn't want to." and that probably would have ended the whole situation. The school can't do anything about it, the district can't do anything about it, and the police probably won't do anything about it. For one main reason: THEY DIDN'T FORCE HER TO DO ANYTHING!

Back