Modern Day Parenting in Crisis: A British Nanny Explains 5 Reasons Why

Vanessa8

Reaction score
Modern Day Parenting in Crisis: A British Nanny Explains 5 Reasons Why | Emma Jenner

n-PARENTS-large570.jpg

What you think? Do you agree or disagree? Thoughts?

That's my issue with my roommate. She is so scared to tell her kids what to do. When I say it is one of her kid's turn to do the chores, she would do that chore herself instead. Ugh

I absolutely agree. I work in the school system and it is astounding how much parents don't discipline their kids. They are scared to say "no" to their own kids and the kids are all self-entitled and think they are special

it also doesn't help that they are growing up in an era of instant gratification...they can watch any episode of any show they want at any time, they can hear any song they want wherever they are, they can get ahold of anyone they want at any time, no matter where they are, they can get on the internet wherever they are--and not even wait for dial-up...none of those things were possible 20 years ago...yes, there were cell phones 20 years ago, but how many kids had them? How many kids had their own personal computer/laptop 20 years ago? I'm not saying technology is a bad thing, it has done wonderful things and has made our life easier, but do 7 year olds really need an iPads, iPhones, iPods of their own?? I would rather my 7 year old spend her days outside with the neighbor kids playing and riding bikes...and on rainy days, I want her playing dress-up or roller skating in the basement while listening to vinyls...

my mom worked in the school system for 40 years and she said that it started getting worse within the last decade or so

I used to be afraid of being the bad parent in my daughter's eyes while going through the custody battle and that was the biggest mistake I made as a parent. Luckily, I put a lid to it when I realized that it was making my daughter unappreciative of things. Now, since then things have improved but I hope the long term damage hasn't already been done. Only time would tell.

My son is 8 and just starting to ask when can he have his own phone. My husband I and have said no. Wow..

Back