Mmm..more hearing people joining this AD

Oh great, now we have an AD "mom" trying to tell us what is and what is not....

Get off it PFH. I haven't made any blanket statements- read what I wrote. No reason to have brought me up.

I never said you were not Deaf enough. I said there are varying degrees of Deafness. You really did sound like a hearie in that post, no offense but that is why I went off on you. I would have said the same thing if it had been someone else so it's nothing against you personally.

I am not an audist. Calling me an audist is the same thing as using a racial slur ( at least to me ). Ouch. Look, next time there's a misunderstanding message me that goes for anyone. If you're a hearie and think you know more than I do about being Deaf or what it's like don't bother. :)

The hearies say that I'm deaf. The Deaf say I'm a hearie. What to do? :ugh:

I'm lucky because some people love me just as I am. So annoying for someone to try to put me in a little box!

Reenforcements are here!

sallylou-albums-posted-picture5380-angrymob.jpg

Yes, I'm sure if I posted MY hearing test, I would probably be shown out the door to AD! But my hearing is bad enough that it effects my life, and bad enough so that I came here to AD to learn and find others who know how I feel. I left more than one room yesterday during family conversations because I just couldn't follow what was said (oh yeah - didn't care, either!).

Yes, I'm sure if I posted MY hearing test, I would probably be shown out the door to AD! But my hearing is bad enough that it effects my life, and bad enough so that I came here to AD to learn and find others who know how I feel. I left more than one room yesterday during family conversations because I just couldn't follow what was said (oh yeah - didn't care, either!).

I left my family gathering too for the same reasons and also because everytime I'd try to talk I'd be ignored or not heard. I speak really quiet not aware of how mousy I sound due to volume control so it could have been that. My hearing neice thought it was funny that I offered up my chair so her father and my husband could have as I put it a "chat". She muttered under her breath "chat" and gave this smile that I saw on her face. I read her lips and saw what she said and took immediate offense and said loudy "what?" " so, (insert name ) what do you find so funny about my usuage of the word chat?". She said she'd never heard anyone using the word "chat" the way I did and I told her well, I speak the way I do because of many years of speech therapy, proper speech. I was very rude but her mother and father didn't bat an eye or hush me. They knew I was right but regardless I just felt left out as the Deaf one in the family and pretty much left in tears. I don't think I'll be showing up next year.

and the rude child? didn't get a scolding either. BTW she's around 15. Old enough to know better and as her aunt it was disrespectful. :)

I never said you were not Deaf enough. I said there are varying degrees of Deafness. You really did sound like a hearie in that post, no offense but that is why I went off on you. I would have said the same thing if it had been someone else so it's nothing against you personally.

I am not an audist. Calling me an audist is the same thing as using a racial slur ( at least to me ). Ouch. Look, next time there's a misunderstanding message me that goes for anyone. If you're a hearie and think you know more than I do about being Deaf or what it's like don't bother. :)

:ty:

Jaspheth you are invited to mine next year tons of food and tons of space and you will fit in just fine :) . My (oldest) son tends to get upset when we have big events. I usually tag along with him and if he chooses to leave the room he and I will go hang out and play trucks in a different room. His grandmother is trying to learn sign but she was confusing the crap out of me last night so I am sure he was having the same problem. He came to me and told me gradnma crazy like three times lol.

This is the very reason why I prefer to go to lunch with my pastor and his wife than to attend a large Thanksgiving gathering in which I will be in a room full of people yet still the loneliest person there because I can't hear the conversation.

Like most other times, I just sit off in a corner playing on my phone or sent outside to watch the kids to make sure none of them get hurt.

I will go to lunch with my pastor and his wife then I'll show up late to the family get-together and I'll have my phone charged and I'll pack a book to read.

I'm actually looking forward to the lunch than the family get-together, now that's messed up! :shock:

You want to know what my mom told me yesterday? She's going to brush up on her ASL (she took a quick course 30 years ago) so she can also sign when I'm at art fairs (I have a sign posted, ASL signed here). She's 78. How cool is that?!?! Of course, she said it was because she didn't want me talking about her... (as if I could sign crazy without her knowing it). But I still thought, yay mom!!!

I don't mean to come off as dumb, but, what exactly is an audist? Would someone explain to me please? I hear but an trying to learn ASL because it is beautiful and practical. I would really like to learn more about the deaf community as well so I do not accidentally come of as a jerk. Does anyone have any advice or maybe some good websites I can learn from, please? Thanks in advance.

Dawne, because you've asked, we know you'r not a jerk. I'm going to let someone else explain because they know better than I do. Welcome to AD.:D

Thank you very much. I really do try to treat others the way I would like to be treated myself. It's just that I really do not know very much and sometimes I am afraid to ask because I do not want to say the wrong thing accidentally. There is nothing I could find in my area for hoh or deaf people to even TRY to immerse myself in. I am limited to what I can learn here, from my videos, and from my guys at work, and they're sweet, but more likely to speak to each other than me. Though one does sign to me, and I hate that I'm so slow. I think I frustrate him a little bit.

Oh before I forget, Sallylou, the dancing Harry Potter guys is fricking AWESOME. I am a huge fan and I just love that thing!!!

Back