misunderstood communication problems....

yagazn

Reaction score
some Ddeaf/Hhoh and hearing have communicate problems because of misunderstood.

Anyone experience who had communicate problems with hearing because of misunderstood. (No offensive to hearing).

Or some Ddeaf/Hhoh had communicate problems with Ddeaf/Hhoh because of different signs, sometimes misunderstood.

Anyone who likes to talk about this. But nooooo fight about this topic. It's just to understand what's going on with this topic.

Peace and Have a good day or evening or weekend.

Sure, it happens. Happened to me here on AD, with my friends or coworkers especially thru the pager, and even in person.

Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes. Just have to take responsibility for our mistakes and try to do better next time in making ourselves more clear or being more careful with how we interpret other people's messages.

Sure, it happens. Happened to me here on AD, with my friends or coworkers especially thru the pager, and even in person.

Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes. Just have to take responsibility for our mistakes and try to do better next time in making ourselves more clear or being more careful with how we interpret other people's messages.

Right. Nobody's perfect.

Just have to take responsibility for our mistakes and try to do better next time in making ourselves more clear or being more careful with how we interpret other people's messages.

I agree. It's so annoyed when members twisted, make assumptions when it's not what you said on your post.

some Ddeaf/Hhoh and hearing have communicate problems because of misunderstood.

Anyone experience who had communicate problems with hearing because of misunderstood. (No offensive to hearing).

Or some Ddeaf/Hhoh had communicate problems with Ddeaf/Hhoh because of different signs, sometimes misunderstood.

Anyone who likes to talk about this. But nooooo fight about this topic. It's just to understand what's going on with this topic.

Peace and Have a good day or evening or weekend.

I have the same issue with other deaf/hoh especially on AD due to English grammar of some members.

Basically I have to read one's post several times to make sure that I am understanding what is being said before posting. Hopefully I am on the right track with the poster. :)

As for signs, I usually like to know why one sign a particular way and not another way....but it's regional differences.

I guess the Deaf community has the right to have an "accent" in ASL. :)

Sometimes, misunderstanding commucations led to hurt his/her feeling and a bit too much emotion.. He/she may take it so personal. But, that's just life. Like Shel said, no one is prefect. I'm not prefect, either. =/

Sometimes, misunderstanding commucations led to hurt his/her feeling and a bit too much emotion.. He/she may take it so personal. But, that's just life. Like Shel said, no one is prefect. I'm not prefect, either. =/

Yes!, that's the one.
That's what happens.

Right, like She'll said....Nobody's perfect.

You all sound like what we talk about in the Gossip Thread and you are saying about the misunderstood communication problems? It is how we talk before we jumped into the wrong communication without thinking. It was/is hard to make the correction for errors. So only way to do is to apologize to the person for the misunderstanding the wrong message. We make mistakes and we are not perfect, either. Life must go on and still we make mistake over again. So what's new? :(

It used to happen a lot when I was with my g/f, who wasn't very patient, though she was understanding at times... So we endured so many misunderstandings over such little things..:(

Sometimes between deafies, too, not just between deafies and hearies. I notice it happens a lot when I'm using IM or a chat room...especially with my Aussie deaf friends. I don't know why but seems that I'm always stepping on Aussie deafies' toes...and I don't mean to! :( I love my Aussie friends but I guess maybe it's the languages of Aussie and American English that is a little different. I dunno. As for everyone, it is hard for me to know if they are joking, being sarcastic, being serious, etc. because we relay on non-verbal (hence non-text) clues such as facial expression and body language to give us these signals. So without the non-verbal clues, it is hard.

Sometimes between deafies, too, not just between deafies and hearies. I notice it happens a lot when I'm using IM or a chat room...especially with my Aussie deaf friends. I don't know why but seems that I'm always stepping on Aussie deafies' toes...and I don't mean to! :( I love my Aussie friends but I guess maybe it's the languages of Aussie and American English that is a little different. I dunno. As for everyone, it is hard for me to know if they are joking, being sarcastic, being serious, etc. because we relay on non-verbal (hence non-text) clues such as facial expression and body language to give us these signals. So without the non-verbal clues, it is hard.[/QUOTE

Agreed. The same can happen between 2 hearing speakers with different native languages, or different cultural backgrounds.

Communication barriers are a fact of life for the Deaf as we endeavor in every day actions and encounters that the hearing take for granted.

Deaf or hearing whether native or foreigners are not exempt to misunderstandings. We all sometimes misinterpret words in how they're spoken or written.

There will be never be "Communication barrier free"

About Misunderstandin'

I feels that it is better to communicate face to face instead of TTY, Computer, Letters.

Supposed my friend first called me on the TTY and she was upset about something and I was like "Dumbfounded", because I didn't know what her problems was or why she was soo upset and after she told me what she heard and I tried to tell her whatever she heard wasn't true, I try explaining to her that it was a misunderstanding and she still wouldn't cooperated with me and I told her that it is better we communicate face to face and try to settled whatever the problem is, but she refused, so it was wrong of her not to come to me face to face beside TTY and also she contacted me on the computer and still she wasn't listening to what I said, but she listened to what he and she said business and I gave up and move on.

Indeed everything she heard was all a misunderstanding, but I let her go, I let her learn her lesson to find out herself, I did tried explained to her, to me she wasn't understanding what I was saying, it was pretty difficult and sad one.

I was her true friend and I told her "Know Who Your True Friends Are" and also I told her "Choose Your Friends Carefully", reason I told her this, because she ended up getting the wrong friends and that the best advise I gave her. I was the right friend for her, but she wasn't the right friend for me.

I've been here and there when it come to misunderstanding between the deaf and hearing impaired, it is alot of works to try to work it out, it takes longer for some who still misunderstand or stubborned and shorter for some who finally understand and settled it, it wasn't easy though.

I broked down and cryed, it was hard for me to get through the deaf or hearing impaired to understand me clearly and to get the mess cleared up, it has puts so much stressed on me, So I couldn't deal with it anymore, because of my health problems, so I had to let it go.

Who told me to commuicate face to face, my physican Doctor did, he told me that Phone, Computer or writing letters does not works, because people get everything all mess up due to alots of misunderstanding and he said it's better to talk in person and that helps 2 people to communicate better and to understand better.

After all this happend to me, I decided to stay away from everyone and be with my family and suddenly I forgot it and my stressed was gone, before my shoulder was towed down so bad how hard I tried to get her to understand what I was saying, it puts too much stressed on me and I had to let it go, it was pretty painful.

Then somehow she came up to me and talk to me and I was like "WOW", she finally talking to me, she realized her mistake and I was right about everything I've told her, she had learned the hard lesson, if there's another problem again, to communicate "Face to Face" there is.

But it will be like it is for the rest of your life, but there is always a way to get through of yourself. You know what I mean?

A few weeks ago I was on the phone w/ my mom who has been laid up awhile due to having some pain in her legs/back (she eventually went to ER & had back surgery). She was telling me stuff she had to get done. I heard her say she was going grocery shopping and I told her, 'well, make sure the bagger guy loads your car up w/ the groceries and then when you get home, call me so that I can unload your car.' Well, then she started crying and says I refuse to help her! I felt bad and I was like, what is wrong w/ you? Why cry? She says I am mean but repeats her request to have me take her to the grocery store! See? It was a bad misunderstanding. It took me another 5 or 10 minutes to convince her that I didn't hear her right.

I get mad about those types of misunderstandings because it leads me to believe that people would think so low of me - - think that I would do or say something so out of my character. I hate it when people think I am snob because I don't answer them because I didn't hear them in the first place.

My exhusband and I never really could talk. He's hearing. He would tell me he was going somewhere and then leave and I would be looking for him and when he got home, I yell at him for leaving without telling me. He says, well I told you. And then I say, 'if I don't ACKNOWLEDGE you, that means I DID NOT HEAR YOU!!' I tried telling him that for 5 years but he never understood so I finally just divorced him (that's not the only reason for the divorce)

Noone are perfect. It is very common that deaf people are sturggling (sp) with english grammer. I am not alone. We are trying our best.

Back