Mistaken for deaf

Can I just throw the rocks directly at the stupid people? :giggle:

You should read "The Year of Living Biblically" - a guy lived by the bible LITERALLY for a year. He threw pebbles at adulterers.

Can I just throw the rocks directly at the stupid people? :giggle:

Only if you want to get into a fight. But that is very funny! I was trying to think how you let people know you're in the bathroom , I guess you could have a someone made a recording for you "say I am in here stop trying to break the door down!" Or better yet have someone dog bark into the recorder and play that , I think that would get a person to stop knocking .
I love thinking out side of the box . I use to bring my hearing dog everywhere and he would sit right at the door and I felt very safe

My post was not about you . So I have nothing to explain to you.

Oh good grief! :mad2:

I wish you would experience being deaf for a five year period and see what you think then,

Although late deafened isn't the same, you might still get a little inkling of what it is like.

I believe I am the person being referred to here. :)

I am hearing (well, for the most part, still need to get a hearing test done and find out what's going on) and I don't understand what it's like to be deaf. I don't claim to understand. My post was about minorities in general and although I don't claim to be an expert on minorities either (although I have been a part of a minority myself my entire life) I fail to see how someone has to be an "expert" in order to express an opinion.
If you disagree with what I said, that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But so am I and I would appreciate it if you would show me the same courtesy.

I watched the film, "Sweet Nothing in My Ear" with Marlee Matlin recently. In the film she plays a deaf woman with a hearing husband and a deaf son. At one point in the film she says what I was trying to communicate... I can't quote exactly, but basically what she said was, "You are not a hearing man, you are a just a man. I am not your deaf wife, I am your wife and I'm deaf...and he is our son!"

We are all people. Some of us hear, some of us don't and if we all run around treating our differences like an excuse instead of working through it and focusing on living our lives as human beings....we have just turned something that could have been a huge blessing into a huge handicap.

....and I was talking about minorities in general....you can't take a general statement and apply it to an individual and then conclude that because the statement does not fit that person/persons therefore the statement is false.

My minority member friends don't think they're victims either. :)

I once took my little brother to the public bathroom at a campsite. He was constipated so we were in there for a while and this group of college guys (the same guys that had kept us all awake half the night with their carousing around) congregated around the door, banging on it every 2 seconds (literally!) I don't remember if I answered and they just couldn't hear me or if I was just too embarrassed and never said a word. OBVIOUSLY it was occupied and they were not getting in. Finally finished and I had to march my little bro and myself through a gauntlet of oh-so-cool dudes leaving a stinky bathroom behind.

Doing that every day and not being able to answer....I think I would carry rocks in my purse...heavy rocks! Bricks! And a tazer! :D

CuriouslyMute, just curiously how do you grow up? Did you go to Deaf school, or go just regular school? I'm sorry as I am not sure how to ask you questions since I find this very interesting and am curious of your experience. You learn to sign?

If you go to regular school, then my question would be, how do you talk with others?

If you went to Deaf school, did they work their ass off trying to make you able to talk verbally?

Did speech therapist trying work their ass, with gallons of sweat in attempt to make you talk?

Were you able to hear and understand everything clearly?

I'm sorry, normally i don't ask tons of questions but this thread got me interested.

I once took my little brother to the public bathroom at a campsite. He was constipated so we were in there for a while and this group of college guys (the same guys that had kept us all awake half the night with their carousing around) congregated around the door, banging on it every 2 seconds (literally!) I don't remember if I answered and they just couldn't hear me or if I was just too embarrassed and never said a word. OBVIOUSLY it was occupied and they were not getting in. Finally finished and I had to march my little bro and myself through a gauntlet of oh-so-cool dudes leaving a stinky bathroom behind.

Doing that every day and not being able to answer....I think I would carry rocks in my purse...heavy rocks! Bricks! And a tazer! :D

hahahaha metaphorical constipation? I love the directions that these posts and conversations go.....

CuriouslyMute, just curiously how do you grow up? Did you go to Deaf school, or go just regular school? I'm sorry as I am not sure how to ask you questions since I find this very interesting and am curious of your experience. You learn to sign?
Special ed school, not Deaf school.
I'm only now learning sign. I wish I had learned it years ago.

If you go to regular school, then my question would be, how do you talk with others?
At the time, I generally didnt talk to others. I used to be a very angry and bitter person. You would not have liked who I used to be, I sure don't.
These days, I either sign or write. I have a little writing board for communicating with non-signers. You might be amazed at how many people cant figure that out and still struggle to understand me. (There was even a waitress who, upon handing her my writing board with my order written neatly on it, turned to the speaking people I was with and asked them "What does she want?".)

Did speech therapist trying work their ass, with gallons of sweat in attempt to make you talk?
No. The people I had to deal with actually thought I was simply refusing to speak. I was often punished (or worse) for not speaking. Funny how none of them were around when I spent hours attempting to make sound just to please them. I can make one sound, but its a very useless squeak that takes a lot of effort to do.

Were you able to hear and understand everything clearly?
Yes. The trouble I had was I got bored and stopped listening. Why?
I was put in the Talented and Gifted program. They didn't want to deal with my silence, and they also figured out I'm not exactly "normal". (I am actually multiple. There is myself and 8 other headmates for a total of 9. No... not a "disorder", we aren't broken, just different. All 9 are extremely separate, but we do communicate with each other.)
Because of this, they stuffed me (well, us) in special ed. That class was far too slow for me.
This is actually what started my seething hatred of speaking people. (Oh the ridicule I got in that special ed class was the stuff of nightmares.)
Thankfully, I am not the hateful person I once was. Oddly enough, I'm a complete opposite of my former self. I love to be friendly, even though speaking-hearing people still make me very uneasy until I get to know them. I can go further in to that if anybody wants.

I'm sorry, normally i don't ask tons of questions but this thread got me interested.
I don't mind at all. Most people have never run in to someone who is mute, and now I mentioned I am also multiple... I'm about as rare as a unicorn.

How can it be no, if they punished you for refusing to speak? Having them punishing you for unable to speak takes work to complete, right? When one punish others, the punish er actually worked to discipline you to get what they wanted you to do.

That part, I actually resent deeply. This shows how audism they are! Why can't they just accept that you actually can't talk?

No. The people I had to deal with actually thought I was simply refusing to speak. I was often punished (or worse) for not speaking. Funny how none of them were around when I spent hours attempting to make sound just to please them. I can make one sound, but its a very useless squeak that takes a lot of effort to do.

How can it be no, if they punished you for refusing to speak? Having them punishing you for unable to speak takes work to complete, right? When one punish others, the punish er actually worked to discipline you to get what they wanted you to do.

That part, I actually resent deeply. This shows how audism they are! Why can't they just accept that you actually can't talk?

I answered no because they weren't any sort of speech therapist.

I've done my best to let go of the anger I had towards people in my past. I know my situation is by no means "normal", multiples are very different from singlets (non-multiples)
Some, I can never forgive. Others, however, maybe they really just didn't understand.

No. What....have you become a 'grammar nazi' now just because FF didn't start her sentence with a capital letter? You're either 'too much' or too dense.

Two small punctuation changes are all that is needed, and it is a perfect English sentence.

First language be damned, people!

Oh, I just found to see what you guys were talking about me. :shock: Thank you all for your concern about me.

Oh and sorry for my inperfect grammar.

Special ed school, not Deaf school.
I'm only now learning sign. I wish I had learned it years ago.

At the time, I generally didnt talk to others. I used to be a very angry and bitter person. You would not have liked who I used to be, I sure don't.
These days, I either sign or write. I have a little writing board for communicating with non-signers. You might be amazed at how many people cant figure that out and still struggle to understand me. (There was even a waitress who, upon handing her my writing board with my order written neatly on it, turned to the speaking people I was with and asked them "What does she want?".)

Yes. The trouble I had was I got bored and stopped listening. Why?
I was put in the Talented and Gifted program. They didn't want to deal with my silence, and they also figured out I'm not exactly "normal". (I am actually multiple. There is myself and 8 other headmates for a total of 9. No... not a "disorder", we aren't broken, just different. All 9 are extremely separate, but we do communicate with each other.)
Because of this, they stuffed me (well, us) in special ed. That class was far too slow for me.
This is actually what started my seething hatred of speaking people. (Oh the ridicule I got in that special ed class was the stuff of nightmares.)
Thankfully, I am not the hateful person I once was. Oddly enough, I'm a complete opposite of my former self. I love to be friendly, even though speaking-hearing people still make me very uneasy until I get to know them. I can go further in to that if anybody wants.

I don't mind at all. Most people have never run in to someone who is mute, and now I mentioned I am also multiple... I'm about as rare as a unicorn.

My dad got mad at me when I did not answer him when when I was upstairs in my bedroom with my solid wooden door closed. I was in a special ed class too and the work was why belong my grade level and this made me fall behind more in school. Special ed classes can do more harm than good sometime.

I was taught how not to be rude in different countries before we'd travel - like in England you do NOT knock on the door to the bathroom to see if someone's in there.

That is absolutely not true. Maybe in a certain household that would be a rule but it's not an accepted thing across the whole of the UK. If anything, I consider someone trying the door to be more rude, as it scares the crap outta me (pun not intended) because what if the lock doesn't hold and they get in and catch me halfway through my business?

I generally go by the thinking that the door won't/shouldn't be closed unless someone's in there, and then wait a while. If nothing happens, look for a sign of movement within like a shadow under the door.

That is absolutely not true. Maybe in a certain household that would be a rule but it's not an accepted thing across the whole of the UK. If anything, I consider someone trying the door to be more rude, as it scares the crap outta me (pun not intended) because what if the lock doesn't hold and they get in and catch me halfway through my business?

I generally go by the thinking that the door won't/shouldn't be closed unless someone's in there, and then wait a while. If nothing happens, look for a sign of movement within like a shadow under the door.

Waiting is what we did. And my sister knocked once and was met with a really cranky lady - it could have been from knocking but it could also have been a really bad day for the lady lol who knows. And of course I'm sure some of the rules my parents brought out were outdated or somehow found in a travel book. It's equally as funny to read travel books about American customs. My dad is currently in Shanghai and he sends photos and stories back about alcohol being central to Asian business meetings and how to greet people and even how they use the bathroom (check out "Chinese split pants"! I'm sure they wouldn't care if someone knocked or didn't haha) - point is it can be different.

The culture thing is sometimes open to interpretation, just like how the deaf culture is stereotyped about what you do or don't do. I know the discussion went off on a bathroom/knocking tangent above but my point was more about how if you try your best to be open to a new or different culture and don't bash them intentionally it leaves their opinion about you and their future generalization about all people a little more pleasant. When you meet anyone you're an ambassador for your race, whether you're black white or purple, your gender, your sexual identity, the way you dress, your work company, and in our case hearing or deaf. A lot of us get pissed off by hearing people in general because of those ambassadors who make us mad. And the same goes back to them - if they only meet people who answer a stare with a defiant smirk they are going to start thinking most people who use ASL are a little uneasy.

Of course some people also just suck too, like those in this OP who were making fun of her without knowing she hears... There a way to greet those people culturally too - it's called the middle finger haha

I would just say/write "i heard that" i think it will be more that sufficient to make them open their mouths and insert foot!

What is a headmate?

She's saying she has multiple personality disorder and that instead of this being a mental illness, she truly is several people in one body. They share her head = headmate.

So, she has issues above and beyond muteness and being mistaken for a deaf person. That complicates the situation.

How many of these headmates are registered at AD?

Back