Missouri School District being sued by the ACLU

Fly Free

Reaction score
ACLU Sues Missouri School District

By STEVE BRISENDINE

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - The American Civil Liberties Union on Tuesday sued a southwest Missouri school district for prohibiting a high school student from wearing gay pride-themed T-shirts.

The district has said the T-shirts were disruptive and therefore a violation of school dress code. The lawsuit filed in federal court also names Webb City High School Principal Stephen P. Gollhofer.

``Because I'm gay, my school is trying to take away my constitutional right as an American to express myself,'' the student, Brad Mathewson, said in a statement.

Further reading: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st...ff/story/0001/20041124/0031661820.htm&sc=1110

this kid had the right to have on his t shirt -- if the other students were allowed to wear anti-gay t shirts then this kid should be allowed to wear his own as well -- he TRADED his t shirt with a friend and his friend had NO problems the rest of the day -- that sure reeks of discrimination and suppressing the kid's right to freedom of expression -- im rooting for this student to win his case!!!

ACLU sometimes acts bit odd with some certain policies but they have good hearts... Anyway I am rooting for that student as well. It is ridiculous for the school to not let him wear that T-shirt when others wear the 'hate-theme' T-shirts. Pathetic.

Back