Minn. Metrodome Roof Collapses After Snow Storm

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Vikings Scheduled To Play Giants In Stadium Monday Night

MINNEAPOLIS -- The inflatable roof of the Metrodome collapsed Sunday after a snowstorm that dumped 17 inches on Minneapolis. No one was hurt, but the roof failure sent the NFL scrambling to find a new venue for the Vikings' game against the New York Giants.

The teams had been scheduled to play at noon Sunday. The game was pushed back to Monday night when Saturday's blizzard kept the Giants from getting to Minneapolis. But after the Teflon roof collapsed overnight, the commission that runs the Metrodome told the NFL the stadium wouldn't be ready for a game Monday or Tuesday.

The NFL said it was considering moving the game to the University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium or to another NFL domed stadium, spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Bill Lester, executive director of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, said a crew that had been working to clear snow off the roof was pulled off late Saturday night due to safety concerns.

"There were no injuries, which we're thankful for," Lester said.

The city got 17.1 inches of snow during the storm that started Friday night and ended around 10 p.m. Saturday, said James McQuirter, a National Weather Service meteorologist. He said the storm was one of the five largest to hit the Twin Cities. Some surrounding communities got more than 21 inches of snow, he said.

The Metrodome roof has failed three times before. It deflated in 1981, 1982 and 1983, each time due to tears caused by heavy snow. The April 14, 1983, collapse forced the postponement of the Twins' game with California, which had been the only postponement. A slight tear also delayed a Twins game briefly in 1986.

Minn. Metrodome Roof Collapses After Snow Storm - Sports News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

Damn...time to invest with a stronger roof. I heard lots of snow up there in Minn. Here's only 3" or so of snow. We are having wind chill advisory at the moment. BRRRRR!

Yep, here's a link to the video of the actual collapse:

Snow Collapses Metrodome, Vikings Postponed

We got a record 20 inches. I live about 20 minutes away from the Dome. My furnace went out overnight because all the intake/air vents got covered in snow. I had to wade through 0 degrees and waist-high drifts to clear it out. What a fun weekend. Not. Thank god I have 2 snowblowers.

I live 20 minutes/10 miles from the dome as well. Good thing they found other place to play but too bad that TCF stadium is closed for winter. I know that Vikings have been begging for new stadium- after the incident, not sure how my co workers at Capitol will react to it since they have to deal with 6 something billion dollars defict.

We got a record 20 inches. I live about 20 minutes away from the Dome. My furnace went out overnight because all the intake/air vents got covered in snow. I had to wade through 0 degrees and waist-high drifts to clear it out. What a fun weekend. Not. Thank god I have 2 snowblowers.

That's interesting to see the collapse.

Even God wants to get rid of Brett Favre.

Might be something to force a new stadium for the Vikings or we can see the Vikings move somewhere else.. mostly to Los Angeles.. it is possible since LA has a new stadium to be built, pending some hurdles to clear I believe so...

Repair time is enough at Metrodome for next week's Bears-Vikings game?

If repair time on Metrodome is not enough, Bears-Vikings are possibility of playing at University of Minnesota stadium next week.

Dont think the Golden Gophers would be interested in lending their stadium to the Vikings somehow unless there a side deal to be made.. ehhh heard St. Louis or Indianapolis might be other place for the Vikings-Bears game to be played in case the roof aint fixed by then...

Wow! Wow!!! 20 inches!!!! Last season, Baltimore got 81 inches. Let's see if you beat us! :deaf:

Curious...why the hurry to keep the football game? This is an emergency situation. As much as I LOVE football, I think the game could wait as many people could be stranded or stuck in the city.

Might be something to force a new stadium for the Vikings or we can see the Vikings move somewhere else.. mostly to Los Angeles.. it is possible since LA has a new stadium to be built, pending some hurdles to clear I believe so...

Los Angeles' new stadium looks awesome!

Los Angeles Football Stadium

NFL say not now until deal with TV and Players after this season first...when deal done then by after 2013 to bring NFL team in LA without add more team.

Rumor team to be transfer to LA in last decade :

Vikings
Chargers
Bills
Rams
49ers
Jaguars
Saints
Raiders
Patriots :whistle:

Vikings - mostly likely since the stadium roof went boom...
Chargers - if they dont get their own new place...
Bills - when ralph wilson croaks, then what will happen??
Rams - unless they get their place improved or a new place...
49ers - think there a new football stadium to be built south of SF
Jaguars - mostly likely heading to LA unless so....
Saints - hell no since they too popular now there in NO
Raiders - would love it if al davis drop dead.. period....
Patriots - years ago that almost happened but now? no way...

that what i think... lol

Vikings - mostly likely since the stadium roof went boom...
Chargers - if they dont get their own new place...
Bills - when ralph wilson croaks, then what will happen??
Rams - unless they get their place improved or a new place...
49ers - think there a new football stadium to be built south of SF
Jaguars - mostly likely heading to LA unless so....
Saints - hell no since they too popular now there in NO
Raiders - would love it if al davis drop dead.. period....
Patriots - years ago that almost happened but now? no way...

that what i think... lol

:thumb: I agreed. Hmm, when I am NFL commissioner then I take Jaguars because they are young team than others.

Yeah the Jags would be perfect for LA.. Los Angeles Jags.. enough said...

Several events that was supposed to be at the Dome have been cancelled but Twins is waiting to see if the roof is fixed then they will have TwinsFest, if not then don't know where because they are calling different venues such as Target Center, Xcel Energy Center, etc. They found more panels that need to be replaced. As for now only 9 panels need to be replaced.

Back