Minn. Man Charged With DUI for 23rd Time

Nancy

Reaction score

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS - A man was charged with drunken driving for the 23rd time in 20 years Thursday after allegedly leading state troopers on chase through the southern metro area.

State Patrol Capt. Jay Swanson said troopers arrested Raymond J. Sherman, 41, after dawn Thursday after using stop sticks to deflate Sherman's tires on state Highway 77. The chase allegedly started about 3 a.m.

He said Sherman showed obvious signs of intoxication and was uncooperative. Sherman refused to give his name, Swanson said, but one of the troopers on the scene knew him. That trooper had arrested Sherman for his 22nd DWI in July 2002.

Two years ago, Sherman told the trooper that "he would not go to treatment or quit drinking," according to the criminal complaint filed in that case.

Sherman was later sentenced to one year for first-degree drunken driving and another year for driving with a canceled license. He was in the Dakota County jail from Dec. 26, 2002, to March 29, 2004, according to jail officials.

Swanson said Sherman also told the trooper during that 2002 arrest that the next time officers tried to catch him, he would run. "He's a man of his word — he did," Swanson said.

Thursday's chase involved speeds of more than 70 miles per hour. At one point, Sherman braked suddenly on Highway 77 near the Mall of America, causing the pursuing troopers to swerve and barely miss his 1993 Jeep Cherokee, Swanson said.

After Thursday's arrest, Swanson said Sherman told the officers that if chased in the future, he would "mess up some squad cars."

Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobuchar said she cited Sherman's drunken-driving history and light sentences when she testified at the Legislature in support of a new law making a fourth drunken-driving offense within 10 years a felony with a sentence of as much as seven years.

The felony DWI law was less than a month away from taking effect when Sherman was charged in 2002, but Klobuchar said she would prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law this time.

"I'm glad he came into my county because he was my example, and now he is going to see the effect of the new law," Klobuchar said. "After his 22nd arrest, he boasted that he was going to keep drinking and driving, and he has."

Her office charged him Thursday with three felony counts for drunken driving, fleeing a peace officer and refusing to submit to the chemical test for impairment. He was also charged with the gross misdemeanor of driving without a license — Klobuchar said he hasn't had one since 1984.

Under the old DWI law, Sherman would have faced no more than a year in the workhouse. She said that because Sherman has other felony convictions, her office will seek at least a five-year sentence, followed by five years of supervised release.

"This is the kind of case where he would get automatic prison time," she said.

Sherman was being held in the Hennepin County jail with bail set at $75,000.

"This is what the felony DWI law is for," said Jon Cummings of Minnesotans for Safe Driving. "This guy is a public menace and has to be put away before he hurts himself or somebody else."

During the first 18 months of the new law, 920 people were sentenced for felony drunken-driving offenses, according to the state Sentencing Guidelines Commission. Hennepin County has filed felony drunken-driving charges in 350 cases since the new law was enacted and Ramsey County, in 151 cases. Nearly all of those resolved so far yielded convictions, said Klobuchar and Ramsey County Attorney Susan Gaertner.

Alcohol-related crashes caused 239 deaths in Minnesotans in 2002, the most recent year for which data are available, said Kevin Smith, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

that guy is :crazy: !!!! glad hes been arrested again and with this being his 23rd he oughta be locked up for LIFE! hes a menace!

23rd time? shit man...he hasn't learned his lessen. I hope the system take away his license AND smash his vehicle.

That guy is getting away with this alot. It stops now

*mutters*

Good Lord.....

23 times is Alot....I sure hope they take away his license, I'm surpirse he didn't kill anyone not yet! :(

*sigh* It saddens as well annoys me to hear people persist driving under influences when they KNOW better that it can harm or kill others as well themself! :evil:

That loser is descipable! :madfawk:

So GLAD he's going to serve his sentence behind the bars. :applause:

I don't understand why Minn Laws aren't Power enough on DUI?

Cuz in State Of Ohio first offense you get 72 hours in Jail time License suspension from 6 months to 3 Yrs.
Second Offense 10 days in Jail suspension from 1 to 5 Yrs.
Third Offense 30 days in Jail License suspension from 1 to 10 Yrs.
Fourth Offense 60 days in Jail license suspension from 3 to permanent.

This Guy would not get 23 DUI's If Minn Laws wouldn't let him drive at all. That is a dangerous way of getting People Killed when there People like him on the Street Driving Drunk.

Bowak said:
23rd time? shit man...he hasn't learned his lessen. I hope the system take away his license AND smash his vehicle.

That guy is getting away with this alot. It stops now

*mutters*

Bowak -- his DL has already been taken since 1984 or 85 -- so in all those years hes been driving without a license, driving drunk and etc -- yes i agree he has gotten away with this alot of times

he's :crazy: should be in jail for life so he don't have to be out and scarin people like that :roll:

He has none learn his own lesson... He should have stayed in the jail little bit longer and smell his coffee time!!!

I think I should stay off the roads now.. Not even my home state is safe! :)

That man is NUTS!

Hot damn! That bloke better be jailed for a lONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time to come for all those DUI charges and endangering people within range of him and his car.

Nancy said:

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

MINNEAPOLIS - A man was charged with drunken driving for the 23rd time in 20 years Thursday after allegedly leading state troopers on chase through the southern metro area.

State Patrol Capt. Jay Swanson said troopers arrested Raymond J. Sherman, 41, after dawn Thursday after using stop sticks to deflate Sherman's tires on state Highway 77. The chase allegedly started about 3 a.m.

He said Sherman showed obvious signs of intoxication and was uncooperative. Sherman refused to give his name, Swanson said, but one of the troopers on the scene knew him. That trooper had arrested Sherman for his 22nd DWI in July 2002.

Two years ago, Sherman told the trooper that "he would not go to treatment or quit drinking," according to the criminal complaint filed in that case.

Sherman was later sentenced to one year for first-degree drunken driving and another year for driving with a canceled license. He was in the Dakota County jail from Dec. 26, 2002, to March 29, 2004, according to jail officials.

Swanson said Sherman also told the trooper during that 2002 arrest that the next time officers tried to catch him, he would run. "He's a man of his word — he did," Swanson said.

Thursday's chase involved speeds of more than 70 miles per hour. At one point, Sherman braked suddenly on Highway 77 near the Mall of America, causing the pursuing troopers to swerve and barely miss his 1993 Jeep Cherokee, Swanson said.

After Thursday's arrest, Swanson said Sherman told the officers that if chased in the future, he would "mess up some squad cars."

Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobuchar said she cited Sherman's drunken-driving history and light sentences when she testified at the Legislature in support of a new law making a fourth drunken-driving offense within 10 years a felony with a sentence of as much as seven years.

The felony DWI law was less than a month away from taking effect when Sherman was charged in 2002, but Klobuchar said she would prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law this time.

"I'm glad he came into my county because he was my example, and now he is going to see the effect of the new law," Klobuchar said. "After his 22nd arrest, he boasted that he was going to keep drinking and driving, and he has."

Her office charged him Thursday with three felony counts for drunken driving, fleeing a peace officer and refusing to submit to the chemical test for impairment. He was also charged with the gross misdemeanor of driving without a license — Klobuchar said he hasn't had one since 1984.

Under the old DWI law, Sherman would have faced no more than a year in the workhouse. She said that because Sherman has other felony convictions, her office will seek at least a five-year sentence, followed by five years of supervised release.

"This is the kind of case where he would get automatic prison time," she said.

Sherman was being held in the Hennepin County jail with bail set at $75,000.

"This is what the felony DWI law is for," said Jon Cummings of Minnesotans for Safe Driving. "This guy is a public menace and has to be put away before he hurts himself or somebody else."

During the first 18 months of the new law, 920 people were sentenced for felony drunken-driving offenses, according to the state Sentencing Guidelines Commission. Hennepin County has filed felony drunken-driving charges in 350 cases since the new law was enacted and Ramsey County, in 151 cases. Nearly all of those resolved so far yielded convictions, said Klobuchar and Ramsey County Attorney Susan Gaertner.

Alcohol-related crashes caused 239 deaths in Minnesotans in 2002, the most recent year for which data are available, said Kevin Smith, spokesman for the Department of Public Safety.

Ok, i was listening to the radio friday when they were talking about that, what he actuly said was "if i get chased again i'll make sure it ends in a fatal crash" They also said that a law came out right after he got his last dui, that if he is convicted this time he could recieve upto 10 years. Well since its his 24th, expect him not to be out for a while.

This is the kind of person that we really need to just cut his nuts off so he cant breed, and then after he is let out of prison saw his legs off at the knees so he cant get behind the wheel of a car again (because we all know that he will when he finaly gets out in 10 years).

Back