Migranies

~*Kaelei*~

Reaction score
I have a question, is Migraine headaches a gene thing? My Migraines has been increasing past few years, ever since I was a Senior at High school. I'm just wondering if it's a gene thing or what? It gets so bad that two pills of painkillers doesn't help at all, and that I need to lay in dark room in order to keep my migraine from being so bad. Sometimes I even feel nausea from it. I rarely got it during my teen years but now as an adult, I'm getting them more often than teen years. Right now, I have a killer headache that just won't go away and I already took three painkillers pills...ugh! It feels like someone is splitting my head open!

So the question is: Is Migraine a gene thing that passes to the mother to daughter or something? Some of my friends never had it before.

I am not sure but my father and i do suffer from it. Mine had gone for while now, as i had diet change.

Some people research the cause of migraines to see if its genetic. UCLA found that a TYPE of migraines is hereditary.

“For the first time, we have proof of an isolated genetic link to migraine,” said Dr. Aarno Palotie, principal investigator and UCLA professor of pathology and human genetics. “This finding moves us one step closer to isolating the gene that predisposes people to migraine headaches with auras.”

This was in 2002. Unfortunately there is no cure. Its a neurological "disease" like epilepsy in a way. You will always have "migraine disorder".. and just have flares of migraines. Its always there. Sucks.

I too get them. So I feel your pain. But so far, I don't believe there is any 100% conclusive proof that it is hereditary. If I'm wrong- someone please correct me.

I don't know if migraines are genetic or not. I have a 21 year history of them and take a migraine preventative as well as a fast-acting migraine med. In my case, my migraines are caused by environmental factors (allergies and scents) as well as food allergies and emotional stress.

Have you tried imitrex? Or pamelor or whatever?
I'm currently on pamelor it takes couple weeks for it to work on full effect preventing migraine/tension headache.
No idea if its genetics. Mine's not genetic nobody have it in my family

I can vouch for Imitrex although I know it doesn't work for everyone. I take 100mg as needed.

Another good fast-acting migraine med is Zomig. It works faster than Imitrex in stopping the pain. 5 minutes as opposed to 15 minutes.

my uncle jeff is worst migraine is having bad headache. that is not good for you go to doctor talk to give medication help you headache. I am bad headache that is reason important to help you be careful because not good should to go to doctor for shot my needle help headache that is important!

Back