migraine with ear ringing HELP

Angelus

Reaction score
HELP:

Not sure what is happening to ME! Ringing in the ears to the point of pain! Horrid migraine today that wont go away...and dizzy.

I feel like my head is going to explode...every time the ringing goes in I'm losing more hearing..and when its coupled with a migraine...it makes me SCARED!!!!

What I do with that, I take a bath and submerge myself in the water. Sometimes it helps to stay in the water for a while and submerge the ear drums in the water. Just rest in a dark room. I do in the washroom.. all dark and stay in the tub.

Have you taken anything for it?

Two tension headache tabs about 4 hours ago (with caffeine and acitemeophen) just put some more caffeine in to try and make it slow down...If i take too many tension headache (Excedrin) my stomach bleeds - so I relaly trying to figurie out what to do!

i would go to the ER if your migraine is really bothering you. i would also suggest that you take something like extra strength excedrin for the pain. it may not help eliminate it completely, but it might dull it to some extent. you may also want to apply hot compresses to your forehead or wherever the pain of your migraine is most intense. once you've done that, i would go to bed and enclose yourself in a dark room where there is minimal light. hope you feel better soon. i've been a migraine sufferer for the past 21 years, so i know exactly what you are going through today. :(

I dunno~! What is that? GADS I WILL DO ANYTHING to make this pain go away~!

What are the Symptoms of Meniere's Disease?

A typical attack of Meniere's disease is preceded by fullness in one ear. Hearing fluctuation or changes in tinnitus may also precede an attack. A Meniere's episode generally involves severe vertigo (spinning), imbalance, nausea and vomiting. The average attack lasts two to four hours. Following a severe attack, most people find that they are exhausted and must sleep for several hours. There is a large amount of variability in the duration of symptoms. Some people experience brief "shocks," and others have constant unsteadiness. The majority of people with Meniere's disease are over 40 years of age, with equal distribution between males and females.

A particularly disabling symptom is a sudden fall that may occur without warning. These are called otolithic crisis of Tumarkin, from the original description of Tumarkin (1936). These are attributed to sudden mechanical deformation of the otolith organs (utricle and saccule), causing a sudden activation of vestibular reflexes. Patients suddenly feel that they are tilted or falling (although they may be straight), and bring about much of the rapid repositioning themselves. This is a very disabling symptom as it occurs without warning and can result in severe injury. Often destructive treatment (for example labyrinthectomy or vestibular nerve section) is the only way to manage this problem. See here for more information about drop attacks.

Meniere's episodes may occur in clusters; that is, several attacks may occur within a short period of time. However, years may pass between episodes. Between the acute attacks, most people are free of symptoms or note mild imbalance and tinnitus.

Meniere's disease usually starts confined to one ear but it often extends to involve both ears over time so that after 30 years, 50% of patients with Meniere's have bilateral disease (Stahle et al, 1991). There is some controversy about this statistic however; some authors suggest that the prevalence of bilaterality is as low as 17% (Silverstein, 1992). We suspect that this lower statistic is due to a lower duration of follow-up and that the 50% figure is more likely to be correct. Other possibilities, however, are selection bias and different patterns of the disease in different countries. Silverstein suggested that 75% of persons destined to become bilateral do so within five years.

In most cases, a progressive hearing loss occurs in the affected ear(s). A low-frequency sensorineural pattern is commonly found initially, but as time goes on, it usually changes into either a flat loss or a peaked pattern (click here for more information about hearing testing). Although an acute attack can be incapacitating, the disease itself is not fatal.

American Hearing Research Foundation (AHRF) Meniere's Disease
Meniere's Disease

Meniere's disease is a vestibular disorder that produces a recurring set of symptoms as a result of abnormally large amounts of a fluid called endolymph collecting in the inner ear.

The prevalence of Meniere's disease is difficult to assess. One population study found that 15.3 per 100,000 individuals develop Meniere's disease annually. Of these, one-third eventually develop the disease in the second ear as well.

The exact cause of Meniere's disease is not known. Theories include circulation problems, viral infection, allergies, an autoimmune reaction, migraine, and the possibility of a genetic connection. Experts also aren't sure what generates the symptoms of an acute attack. Some people with Meniere's disease find that certain triggers can set off attacks, including stress, overwork, fatigue, emotional distress, additional illnesses, pressure changes, certain foods, and too much salt in the diet.

Attacks can last from 20 minutes to 24 hours. They can occur many times per week; or they can be separated by weeks, months, and even years. The unpredictable nature of this disease makes it difficult to tell how it will affect a person's future. Symptoms can disappear one day and never return, or they might become so severe that they are disabling.
Vestibular Disorders Association | Vertigo, Imbalance, Dizziness resources - Meniere’s Disease

Here is a little information. The symptoms you describe go with Meniere's disease.

HELP:

Not sure what is happening to ME! Ringing in the ears to the point of pain! Horrid migraine today that wont go away...and dizzy.

I feel like my head is going to explode...every time the ringing goes in I'm losing more hearing..and when its coupled with a migraine...it makes me SCARED!!!!

Wow, Im so sorry you are going through that and it sounds like an "episode" I deal with. I have Menieres Disease and that is exactly what it is like when I have an episode. Dizziness, nausea and a very bad headache and my head usually feels like it weighs 50lbs. I would talk to your doctor and then have him refer you to an ENT. My hearing has decreased rapidly over the last 6mths or so but with every episode I have my hearing practically diminishes and then comes back. Its very scary so I feel your pain.

See your doctor they can give you some meds and also do not wear your hearing aids when it is like that. I literally have to lay down, in a dark room and wait for it to pass, but with the meds the episodes are less and less. The ringing is Tinnitus and I have it all of the time, its something I have had to get used to. I hope this helps and I am sorry you are going through this...

:aw::aw::aw::aw: feel better :hug:

Two tension headache tabs about 4 hours ago (with caffeine and acitemeophen) just put some more caffeine in to try and make it slow down...If i take too many tension headache (Excedrin) my stomach bleeds - so I relaly trying to figurie out what to do!

I get migraines and ringing in the ears too, to the point of severe pain.

Actually caffeine makes it worse so I'd suggest lay off it and tension headache tablets aren't good for these kinds of headaches you and I have.

What I've found is that you need to put ice wrapped in wet facecloth, on your forehead and lay on bed in dark room really quietly, try not to think at all. It's impossible I know lol Im always thinking! The pain will go away after a little while.

Plus, what are you doing on the computer if you have a migraine??? :shock: lol it makes it worse because the screen can affect your eyes and in turn worsen your migraine.

When you take painkillers, make sure it's codeine based, I think maybe analgesic based as well if you can get that.

Hope you feel better soon!

if migraines are a consistent problem for you, i would recommend that you ask your doctor for a referral to a neurologist and request that you be put on a migraine preventative as well as a fast-acting migraine med. i average 2-3 migraines/week and am on a migraine preventative (topamax) and fast-acting migraine med (imitrex) which have helped cut down my migraines to 1-2/week.

Wow, Im so sorry you are going through that and it sounds like an "episode" I deal with. I have Menieres Disease and that is exactly what it is like when I have an episode. Dizziness, nausea and a very bad headache and my head usually feels like it weighs 50lbs. I would talk to your doctor and then have him refer you to an ENT. My hearing has decreased rapidly over the last 6mths or so but with every episode I have my hearing practically diminishes and then comes back. Its very scary so I feel your pain.

See your doctor they can give you some meds and also do not wear your hearing aids when it is like that. I literally have to lay down, in a dark room and wait for it to pass, but with the meds the episodes are less and less. The ringing is Tinnitus and I have it all of the time, its something I have had to get used to. I hope this helps and I am sorry you are going through this...

:aw::aw::aw::aw: feel better :hug:

I have every symptom of meniere's disease, yet my doctor didn't seem worried or even thought there was anything more sinister to the migraines, dizziness, vertigo, nausea, loud ringing in ears that I get, doctor just nodded and smiled and said get plenty of rest and take a couple of aspirins.

Sheesh, is the doctor wrong?? should he have investigated it further? :hmm:

how does one differentiate between migraines and meniere's? i also experience nausea, vomiting, ear pain and ringing during my migraines, but no one has ever mentioned anything to me about the possibility of me having meniere's

I have every symptom of meniere's disease, yet my doctor didn't seem worried or even thought there was anything more sinister to the migraines, dizziness, vertigo, nausea, loud ringing in ears that I get, doctor just nodded and smiled and said get plenty of rest and take a couple of aspirins.

i would get a second opinion. it can't hurt.

If you are not satisfied with what your doctor is doing you should probably change. I went through a number of tests to make sure this is what it was. Many ENT visits, Neuro vists, cat scans, MRIs, eye tests.. Seriously, it was crazy. The first couple visits they wrote it off, but it got to the point to where I was scared to drive, or to even go down stairs. My doctor didn't refer me to the ENT my audiologist did and THANK god because my doctor wasn't listening to a word I was saying...

Back