MIG, TIG or ARC welders, will it harm CI?

purplecatty

Reaction score
I have question to ask if anyone who does welding and wear CI. I want to weld something using TIG but I asked DR if it can harm CI or not.. She said ARC welder would be fine but not TIG. That's something Dr never thought of. It puzzled me cuz both are the same thing. Can anyone share experience. Do I have to remove my processor before I weld or what?
comment appreciated.
Thanks
Catty

Nucelus 24C on Right Ear.

I would think that you woudl be just fine TIG( tungsten inert gas) and welding are similar and should not casue a problem since they are low voltage but high current. Just wear good head protection to shield the processor and I would not see a problem. Thats my personal opinon and it is not a medical opinon. I did TIG as a kid and feel saver using TIG since it does not give as much sparks as regular welding. On the other hand, hydraulic spray painting that uses high voltage may cause a problem.

Would it be much better if processor is removed? Would the implant affected by electromagnetic field? I am not being panoid, just being cautionous. I used to do MIG when I was in Highschool and also worked at Machine shop. It's much handier welder than ARC welder. Normally back then before CI, when I'm actually welding, I usually turn off my hearing aid or don't wear them. LOL.
Catty

Dangerous welding modes.

There is one particular type of TIG welding that uses a very high frequency/high voltage pulse to start the arc. This HF pulse has been known to damage electronics of various kinds up to 20 feet away.

As long as you use scratch start or lift arc starting for TIG welding, you should have no troubles; as these modes are no different from stick welding.

I was in the welding class for 3 years in high school. I wear the CI but no problem. I have been told I should take it off but I ignored them and ahead do the welding with ARC, TIG, and MIG. No problem at all for me. Ya know, I'm a risk-taker. lol

Back