Middle School Student Arrested for Doodling on Desk

Loghead

Reaction score
NEW YORK - A New York City middle school student has been arrested for doodling on her desk with a marker.

Twelve-year-old Alexa Gonzalez scribbled "Lex was here 2/1/10" on her desk Monday. She also wrote "I love my friends Abby and Faith." The girl says the doodles could have been erased, according to the Daily News.

Moraima Tamacho says her daughter was released several hours after she was taken in handcuffs to a police station.

Education department spokesman David Cantor said the incident shouldn't have happened, and that common sense should prevail.

Last month, the New York Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit alleging more than 20 instances of wrongful arrests and assaults by school safety officers.

Gonzalez has been assigned eight hours of community service, a book report and an essay on what she's learned from the experience.

12-year-old New York City middle school student handcuffed, arrested for doodling on desk

I understand the point they were trying to make because it's not their desks. A lot of students at the high school I attend have a lot of issues with vandalism. That's the reason why the high school just installed surveillance cameras (it's a brand new building, so it was bound to get them sooner.)

However, arresting her? They can deal with it themselves. They are quite capable of that.

Sounds like they have taken this too far on the arrest part, but then there's a reason for it. Perhaps this girl has done some vandalism in the past so the arrest was necessary. Maybe it's about time to learn to respect school property. :roll:

Seems she must have been really bored in class!...Several times my own boys would come home with "doodles" on their arms...I cut that out immediately! Just don't think it's the right thing to do defacing government property, tho'.....But, to arrest and handcuff the girl? NO way! That's too extreme....I figure if the teacher/principal made her wash the desk in front of the class, she might not try to do this again...that's making an example, I know...but kids need to "doodle" elsewhere, not in class.

Wow, I better scribble out my initials before the popos hunt me down O_O

(grabs the car keys)

Ill be back if I'm not caught (shifty eyes)

What a waste of tax payers money arresting this girl for writting on her desk! The school should be glad that all thery have worry about! A boy just brought a gun to school in a town where I live! And the boy was not arrested! He waas being bullied on the bus and wanted to go after the bullies! I can't blame the boy for wanting the 5 bullies dead! I know it wrong but they wee making the kid life a living HELL and that just where the bullies belong!

Sounds to me like one more school official has let a little authority go to their head.:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Thank goodness I'm not in school anymore. I would have been arrested a dozen of times for doodling at her school!

I remember my brother's taking teacher's underwear, (both male and female) and hanging them on the flagpole. Thy didn't get into trouble, but the two teachers did, since they should have been wearing their underclothes at the time. They got caught having sex under the bleachers in the gym by the phys ed class. :giggle:

I remember my brother's taking teacher's underwear, (both male and female) and hanging them on the flagpole. Thy didn't get into trouble, but the two teachers did, since they should have been wearing their underclothes at the time. They got caught having sex under the bleachers in the gym by the phys ed class. :giggle:

O_O

Now that's just kinky!

The school did the right thing. After all, desks are considered school property, not the girl's property, and doodling on any property that is not yours is called graffiti and vandalism. If serious actions are not taken to discipline the girl she would not learn her lesson and she could have advanced to spray-painting graffiti on city property as well as other's private or business properties. Little doodlings on school property are just the beginning for most pre-teens and young teenagers, soon they advance to bigger things like graffiti/vandalism on other properties, and they could get arrested, face fines and jail time. She is very lucky she was released after several hours and that she was only required to do community services and do a book and an essay. It could have been much worse! I hope she learns her lesson this time!

Where I live looks like shit now because teenagers who are in gangs keep spraying gang-related crap on our buildings and our property. The apartment next door has been broken in and there is gang graffiti everywhere inside and outside, and it has been that way for weeks. I am not happy. I moved here almost 4 years ago and the apartment property looked real nice at the time, and since then it has gone to shit real quickly in the last 4 years I've been here. There is graffiti everywhere, on almost all the buildings. I would like to move but unfortunately I can't work and do not have the extra money for first and last month's rent and the security deposit to move to something nicer. So I am stuck until and when I am healthy enough to be able to finish school and get a job (I am having surgery next month).

I felt the school should have handled it. They could have given her ISS or suspended her for a few days and given her a book report to do.

My daughter's school.. If you are caught with a Sharpie marker or any type of permanent marker in your possession. They automatically give you ISS or suspend you. Due to the issues with graffiti.

dentention yes. Jail no. Maybe it is what she/he wrote is what got him in serious trouble. Like killing.

I love seeing people's writing on desks. usually if it is too damaged, it is time for a new one.

The school did the right thing. After all, desks are considered school property, not the girl's property, and doodling on any property that is not yours is called graffiti and vandalism. If serious actions are not taken to discipline the girl she would not learn her lesson and she could have advanced to spray-painting graffiti on city property as well as other's private or business properties. Little doodlings on school property are just the beginning for most pre-teens and young teenagers, soon they advance to bigger things like graffiti/vandalism on other properties, and they could get arrested, face fines and jail time. She is very lucky she was released after several hours and that she was only required to do community services and do a book and an essay. It could have been much worse! I hope she learns her lesson this time!

Where I live looks like shit now because teenagers who are in gangs keep spraying gang-related crap on our buildings and our property. The apartment next door has been broken in and there is gang graffiti everywhere inside and outside, and it has been that way for weeks. I am not happy. I moved here almost 4 years ago and the apartment property looked real nice at the time, and since then it has gone to shit real quickly in the last 4 years I've been here. There is graffiti everywhere, on almost all the buildings. I would like to move but unfortunately I can't work and do not have the extra money for first and last month's rent and the security deposit to move to something nicer. So I am stuck until and when I am healthy enough to be able to finish school and get a job (I am having surgery next month).

They make paint that is graffiti-free now. If a business have a serious problem with graffiti, they should consider getting that type of paint.

I used to have the offending student stay after school and clean the desks. How else was I going to get the desks cleaned? :lol:

Seriously, this administrator has no common sense. :roll:

I used to have the offending student stay after school and clean the desks. How else was I going to get the desks cleaned? :lol:

Seriously, this administrator has no common sense. :roll:

Agreed. I was made to clean up after school after I scribbled on some tables in the sixth grade. Common sense tells me that's what the administrator should have done.

An arrest is more appropriate for something like taking an axe and smashing up the desks or even using spray paint or burning the desks.

I felt the school should have handled it. They could have given her ISS or suspended her for a few days and given her a book report to do.

My daughter's school.. If you are caught with a Sharpie marker or any type of permanent marker in your possession. They automatically give you ISS or suspend you. Due to the issues with graffiti.

We had and still do have the same rule about Sharpies at the middle school I attended (hearing school). When I was a student there I saw so much graffiti in the school bathrooms, a lot of it was really crass stuff about teachers and other students they did not like. Such as "Mrs._____ is a bitch and has stinky pussy" and stuff like that. Yes, I've seen this one in the bathrooms. There was a lot of gang related graffiti in the bathrooms too.

And I don't think suspension from school will teach students anything because to students it's time off from school and they get to stay home and sleep all day. Unless the parents has a good mind to discipline the student while she or he is suspended. I think ISS has a better effect on the offending student than the suspension from school will because then the student is made to sit in a room all day long with nothing to do but stare at the wall. No reading of books or writing or talking or sleeping were allowed. The student is forced to sit in the ISS room all day for three days at my middle school that I used to attend. This forces the students to think about the actions they have taken and the consequences their actions have resulted in, and they usually learn a lesson from being in ISS. And often they are given a essay to write about what they have learned from being in ISS at the end of ISS.

thanks God I finished schools back in 90's :roll:

I remember when I got caught chewing gum.

Had to stay after school, and scrape under the desks with a putty knife.

It was gross!

That kept me from chewing gum at school!

I'm laughing at the statement that the principal made "....common sense should prevail." Well, I don't think it was prevalent in anybody's minds here, including the school faculty that had the girl arrested. Thanks for wasting more taxpayer dollars on something that could have been easily dealt with by the school by issuing some clean-up time before and after school such as having to clean and de-gum all the desks in the school over a period of time.

Back