Middle ear implant?

i_cant_hear_you

Reaction score
hi everyone! this is my first post here. i was wondering if anyone has had a middle ear implant like the BAHA or Envoy? i am very interested in seeing what people think about these implants. i wear hearing aids but i hate them. all they do is make things louder and hurt my ears. i am going to have the envoy implant surgery in a few months and i want to know if anyone else had it? i am scared!!!!!! :Ohno:

i am going to have the envoy implant surgery in a few months and i want to know if anyone else had it? i am scared!!!!!!
Shouldn't this be in CI and hearing aid section?
You probaly won't find too many folks who've had it since it's still kinda experimental....
I kind of wish there was a way you could demo the envoy beforehand....

Someone who used to post here did..... Another board has a lot of info about them, but I now dislike that board, so I'm not even reccomending it.
Are you absolutly positively sure you want the implant? It's still relatively new....Also, have you tried experimenting with different aids? Have you tried Phonaks or Oticons? I know they say an aid is an aid......but Phonaks and Oticon aids are DAMN amazing......

DD is correct, Oticons are one of the best hearing aids there is....I have one and love it! :) I remember my aunt meeting someone at her dr's office in the waiting room - this guy has a middle ear implant and he said it works well for him. She told him about me, and he said I should look into it.
But, I am not going to because I feel more comfortable with a hearing aid....and if they don't work (I lose more hearing), I will get a CI. :)
I hope you get the answers you wanted to know aobut middle ear implants, Icanthearyou. :)

I've never heard of a middle ear implant before, so I did a little research and visited Envoy's website at http://www.envoymedical.com/index.htm I gotta say the idea they are presenting seems revolutionary and pretty interesting. Sounds like a way to have internal hearing aid so you don't have to wear them for everyone to see. I would be interested to in knowing someone with this device.... If this works I imagine it's going to really take off

Check this out:

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/08/21/middle.ear.implants

Middle ear implants not your grandpa's hearing aid
By Kathryn Clabo
Special to CNN

(CNN) --Although 28 million Americans suffer from hearing loss, 80 percent of them shun hearing aids partly because, well, the devices don't have a reputation as the most attractive or comfortable or even effective accessory.

But a new generation of hearing devices -- called middle ear implants -- may help the hearing impaired while keeping embarrassment and irritation to a minimum.

The implants are made for people with sensorineural hearing loss – a very common form of hearing loss that results from inner ear or nerve damage.

"Middle ear implants are a category of devices that are still fairly new and are used with a subgroup of people who have tried hearing aids and are dissatisfied," says Jaclyn Spitzer, professor of clinical audiology and speech pathology at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York.

The process of hearing starts when our ears turn sound waves into neural impulses. First, sound waves pass through the eardrum to the middle ear. There the sound waves cause bones called ossicles to vibrate, setting in motion a chain of events that eventually stimulates the auditory nerve to send impulses to the brain. The brain interprets the nerve impulses into different sounds. A breakdown at any step of this system can lead to hearing loss.

"People with the implants in a regular hearing test show a lot of functional gain," said Dr. Jose Fayad, director of cochlear and middle ear devices at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. "You have much better volume than with a hearing aid."

In general, middle ear implants are attached to the middle ear bones to enhance their vibration. This amplifies nerve impulses to the brain, increasing hearing ability. But all devices currently available also use an external component -- a small sound processor, much like a microphone, that usually is worn behind the ear.

The external device enhances the sound because it's "capable of being programmed" so small changes in hearing or listening can be adjusted, Spitzer said.

Two middle ear, implantable devices have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for adult use. But only about 200 people in the U.S. and 500 in Europe have had them implanted – often due to the expense of surgery. .

Some of the middle ear implants that are either FDA-approved or in the testing process include:

* Vibrant Soundbridge (made by Symphonix): The Vibrant Soundbridge is approved by the FDA. It's an electromagnetic hearing device, meaning that it works by passing an electric current through a coil to create a magnetic field. This field causes a magnet on the ossicles to vibrate when hit by sound waves. The sound processor is worn behind the ear. The total cost for this device – including surgery – is about $15,000.

* Direct Drive Hearing System (DDHS) P010023 (made by Soundtec, Inc.): This system is also FDA-approved. It uses a magnet placed deep inside the ear's canal to amplify sound. The DDHS has an external processor that fits behind the ear and looks much like a traditional hearing aid. This device costs around $5,000.

* Middle Ear Transducer (MET) Ossicular Stimulator (Made by Otologics): The MET Ossicular Stimulator is in testing. About 100 study participants have had the device implanted so far.

* Envoy Middle Ear Implantable System (St. Croix Medical, Inc.): The Envoy System is the first device that will not need an external processor, making it a fully implantable device. It is a piezoelectric device, meaning that an electric current is passed through a special crystal to produce a vibration on the eardrum. It uses the ear's own acoustics to amplify sound. The system is being tested at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh and Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle.

The devices have their share of converts. "Patients are happy," Columbia's Fayad said. "They say that they have clearer hearing. They hear better in everyday conditions, in real life, and they have much more comfortable hearing."

I don't get why cosmetics are such a big deal for a lot of people.....I mean I can kinda understand, but for crying out loud.....the advertising makes BTEs sound like body worn aids or ear horns or something....BTEs aren't THAT noticible.....Besides, I LIKE people knowing that I am dhh......a hearing aid is a clue that someone is dhh!

hi! i couldnt find my post. i have a Phonak but it dont help me very much. so i am suprised that i am approved for Envoy. i dont really care that much about cosmetic and vanity issue, i think Envoy will be great b/c it stimulates the living hair cells youve got to pass the sound thru to your brain. and the sound is supposed to be great, and no feedback. and you can wear Envoy all the time, even when you are taking a shower. :wiggle:

deafdyke said:
I don't get why cosmetics are such a big deal for a lot of people.....Besides, I LIKE people knowing that I am dhh......a hearing aid is a clue that someone is dhh!

Well, there's a lot of hearies who are dhh and don't want people to know about it out of fear of social scorn. Just because we have deaf pride here doesn't mean most dhh people do. With a society that treats deafness as a pathology, dhh people who were raised in hearing families are led to believe that either they are hearing or that there is something wrong with being deaf. Frankly, I don't think its possible to break out of that unless the person for some reason gets very immersed in Deaf culture with other dhh people, and unless they go to RIT or another school with a high number of deafies (and no, Gallaudet won't work because most hearies have never heard of it), chances are that won't happen.

Were society to stop treating deafness as a disease, more people would feel comfortable accepting the fact that they are dhh. For that to happen, we need to be visible (and loud) so that those people (the 80% of dhh that subscribe to the pathological model) know that it's OK to be dhh.

Back to the original topic, I don't wear hearing aids (nor have a CI or MEI), but I'm getting a HA soon... And one thing I like about BTEs is they come in a variety of shapes and colors. People don't mind accessorising when they buy glasses, why not accesorise when you buy hearing aids?

i have a Phonak but it dont help me very much. so i am suprised that i am approved for Envoy
Wow....Phonaks are suppposed to be really good....you might be doing the right thing, but maybe try an Oticon aid first. It doesn't sound like you're jumping into this, but....I think that more experimentation needs to be done. You might also want to look into a different audi....Are you seeing a general one or one that has experiance with people who've had pediatric losses? I definitly think there are advantages to implants.....but I think that implants should be for the cases that absolutly don't benifit from hearing aids. Just take advantage of the 30 day trial period and really experiment with aids....No harm, no foul....right?

wait

Hey there. I had it done as part of the phase1 clinical trials in seattle. All in all not a "good thing". We ex-planted it on the 4th try. I don't think it's ready yet. May be great someday. My sage advice... please wait.

Xbionic

Thanks xb! Yeah, some of the posts out there almost seem like marketing.....be very very very skeptical.

marketing no kidding.

Hey dd. No kidding is it ever marketing. I remember reading the lit b4 the implant. "El Primo". Some lady in spain supposedly said that. That they had restored her hearing to normal. Not even. Regarding feedback... how about having it inside your head? Nice. Not to paint St Croix black but the weren't straight with me. The surgery was a big deal, the device didn't work and now I about 70db down in that ear (50 in the other, so that's me). Not all that bad though really because I learned allot about things in general. I really do wonder if I_can't_hear_you did it.... and that other guy? hmm.

deafdyke said:
I don't get why cosmetics are such a big deal for a lot of people.....I mean I can kinda understand, but for crying out loud.....the advertising makes BTEs sound like body worn aids or ear horns or something....BTEs aren't THAT noticible.....Besides, I LIKE people knowing that I am dhh......a hearing aid is a clue that someone is dhh!

I wear a BTE and many people around me never realize that I wear an aid :)

Back