Middle ear fluid and hearing loss

trafficlinq

Reaction score
Hi,

I am father of a one year old baby diagnosed with profound hearing loss.
We did BERA twice and he had middle ear fluid (Type B on tympenometry) on both ears. The audiologists on both occasions suggested that even though there can be some impact, the results will not vary much even without the fluid.
My questions is will he do better with hearing aids or CI is necessary?
We will be doing the next test after draining the fluid. I am just too anxious !
Any ideas?

Your hearing is to precious to not get things cleared up right away. Excess fluid can cause permanent damage as I am living proof of that. I had fluid following a case of the measles as a child that they couldn't get rid of no matter what they tried i.e.: antibiotics of all kinds and tubes in my ears. I am not trying to scare you by any means but want to emphasize to all who read this that fluid in the ears is not something that should be taken lightly. I am awfully glad they now have a measles vaccine out because some of the effects of those seemingly mild childhood diseases can stay with you for a lifetime.

Hi,

I am father of a one year old baby diagnosed with profound hearing loss.
We did BERA twice and he had middle ear fluid (Type B on tympenometry) on both ears. The audiologists on both occasions suggested that even though there can be some impact, the results will not vary much even without the fluid.
My questions is will he do better with hearing aids or CI is necessary?
We will be doing the next test after draining the fluid. I am just too anxious !
Any ideas?

We had the exam (ABR, ASSR) for our son's hearing the other day however nobody talked to us about the possibility of ear fluid and I was wondering why they ruled it out.

Back