Michigan Womyn Music Festival: MUST GO!

cady75

Reaction score
Hello girls,

Have you haerd of the Michigan Womyn's fest? I just recently went. It was very awesome!!

You can check out the info at www.michfest.com

ONLY women are permitted there, and most of them are gay~ but of course st8 women are very welcome. It's a free environment. There is no rule that you can't go naked if you want, and many women do. As foir deafies, They have interpreters and stuff, and a Deaf Way tent where deaf women can meet.

It's out in the woods, and you have to bring camping equiment and stuff. During one week they have workshops on different stuff. I went to the drumming workshop there, and they were really great about having deaf people join them to learn how to play a drum. I played with a BAND! with an interpreter helping me with the sound cues. That would NEVER happen in the hearing world out there!!:ty: A friend of mine went to a chocolate body paint workshop. Fun! There were some workshops I missed, especially the one about African Dance, and I wanted to learn how to walk on stilts, but I missed that workshop, too.

They have concerts every night, and the interpreters (all women, ofc), sign songs and stuff. We can dance to the songs, too. :dance: Some of them are really HOT and there are some of the best ASL translation terps I've ever seen. I have fond memories of one soft butch dyke signing along with Le Tigre, the punk rock band. I wanted to throw myself at her and.. um.. you know what I mean. She was HAWT.:hitit: : I couldn't take my eyes off her~ I spent the whole time there looking for her, trying to catch her on the free time. No luck!! Girl, if happen to be subscribed here, and are reading this, drop me a line, will ya!!!! :kiss:

Also, I got to meet a lot of great deaf lesbian women there, and build new friendships. :grouphug:

I had a GREAT time, and I"m going back yet. I highly recommend it to any woman, gay or otherwise, who want to reconnect to their womanhood (that sounds stupid, but it's true), maybe score with a hot chick, :naughty:and make new friends.

So, deaf womyn, come on down to michfest 2006!!!!

Women ONLY

Oh, and i forgot to add. They have childcare too! Girls any age can go, and there is free childcare all day.. it is a good environment for children too. They have dress up clothes, games to play, body paint, fun things to do... as for boy children, they can attend up to the age of 5, but after that, until they are 10, they can go to a camp nearby called the Brother Sun camp, where women can go visit their boys there. After age 10, boys are not allowed there at all. It is women ONLY.

Just wanted to add that.

I've always wanted to go there......sometimes the Indigo Girls play there, and I think so does Ani!

Cady -- its over now -- i had 2 friends who went to the WMF in Michigan recently and i have understood that it was the LAST event -- the 30th year event

glad u had a wonderful time! my partner and i didnt have the time to be able to attend the WMF in MI :(

No it wasn't the last event. They announced that it wasnt.

Don't worry. It'll still be up and going next year.

My partner and I have gone for the last 2 years and MichFest is great. There is a great deaf community and the interperters are wonderful. If you get a chance you should really try and go.

Julia

It seems every year there is a rumor that it will be the last, some speculate it is a way to encourage more womyn to come before it ends. At any rate there will be a next year and many more to come.

I'll never go to the Michigan Women's Festival unless they decide that my transgendered friends can go too.

It's not legitimately feminist if it excludes legitimate women, 'nuff said.

I never went there.. but been to many Women Festivals on the East Coast..
But Women Festivals are s l o w l y disappearing.

Back