Michelle Obama: "We Can't Just Leave It Up To The Parents"

Can I add something? Healthy food is EXPENSIVE! Especially if you do the whole foods/raw foods route. It's a lot cheaper to buy junk food.

I'd love to buy the unprocessed, fresh, raw stuff from specialty stores such as Sprouts for my kids...but dang.

I'd love to buy the unprocessed, fresh, raw stuff from specialty stores such as Sprouts for my kids...but dang.

Know what you mean. I stay away from processed stuff as much as I can, but sometimes it is simply necessary. Both budget wise and time wise.

In a perfect world, the government interfering to give those who can't or won't feed their kids properly a little help would be nice...however, where does it stop?? It is the CONTROL that makes me nervous. Today they want to control what the school cafeteria offers, tomorrow they bust down your door at dinner time and take you away because you are serving spaghettios. And does it matter anyway, will it work? When I get stuck behind someone paying with food stamps at the grocery store, I can't help but notice all the CRAP most of them buy. The bottom line is, people don't care. The government can't change that, no matter how much "help" they offer. Most people see it as their constitutional right to eat whatever they want, and to feed their kids whatever they want as well.

A huge part of the problem is today's lifestyle, 2 working parents and no time or energy for cooking good meals. Easier to just stop at McDonalds on the way home. Easier when you are exhausted from working all day to just shove a cookie in a whining kids mouth and yell at them to go watch tv. Because of the financial needs of the average family, the 2 parent working home is here to stay. The way I see it, the only thing that will work is to prepare our children from a young age to take responsibility for their own health and choices, and hope it sticks. The government isn't going to feed them until they die, they are going to grow up constantly being given choices, and they need the information to make the right choices. Having the government make those choices is not going to help. What might help is more nutrition education, and it needs to be taught daily, right up there with English and history. And instead of a gym class where we force kids to play competitive sports (whether they like sports or not) why not instead make gym class a daily EXERCISE class? If they want to play sports let them join the teams in their towns or play on the school teams after school.
If we start them out as young as possible with nutrition education and daily exercise, it could be very helpful towards building good habits for life. It's just common sense.

I agree with just about everything you say here. I do think, though, that the slippery slope argument about government control is weak and unfounded, not just when it comes to this issue of nutrition, but when it comes to most arguments (gay marriage will lead to destruction of society; government healthcare will lead to death panels; etc. etc.) There is a wonderful thing in our American system of government, and that is called "checks and balances." Believe me, if the government starts breaking down your door and confiscating the spagettios (lol, that was a funny image you made :)), people will rise up, and change would be instituted. That's what makes our country so great. The people still have power. Don't let extreme conservative or liberal ideology pigeon-hole you into thinking otherwise.

WEIRD! We posted the same thing at the same time.

You were both wrong at the same time too.:lol: I did a menu a few months back to prove this myth wrong. You can eat healthy on the cheap if you make an effort.

I keep recommending this movie, and I will again: Food Inc. (it's on Netflix streaming WITH captions).

It touches on exactly this issue and shows that "cheap" food is not really cheap. It's just an illusion. Corn subsidies from the government make corn cheaper. Illegal labor in meat processing facilities makes pork and beef (both fed with government subsidized corn) cheaper. Healthcare costs go up as food goes down, but we all end up paying for that healthcare.

Also, I assign this article to my college freshmen students. It's a great read on how natural and organic foods are starting to become part of the division between rich and poor: The Poor Get Diabetes, the Rich Get Local and Organic | Environment | AlterNet

My plan to fix the national healthcare crisis would be to subsidize organic and health foods. Make it so the cost of natural and organic foods is on par with all the other shit in the supermarket, and you will start to see a huge decline in health issues in this country. It would end up saving us billions of dollars.

I keep recommending this movie, and I will again: Food Inc. (it's on Netflix streaming WITH captions).

It touches on exactly this issue and shows that "cheap" food is not really cheap. It's just an illusion. Corn subsidies from the government make corn cheaper. Illegal labor in meat processing facilities makes pork and beef (both fed with government subsidized corn) cheaper. Healthcare costs go up as food goes down, but we all end up paying for that healthcare.

Also, I assign this article to my college freshmen students. It's a great read on how natural and organic foods are starting to become part of the division between rich and poor: The Poor Get Diabetes, the Rich Get Local and Organic | Environment | AlterNet

My plan to fix the national healthcare crisis would be to subsidize organic and health foods. Make it so the cost of natural and organic foods is on par with all the other shit in the supermarket, and you will start to see a huge decline in health issues in this country. It would end up saving us billions of dollars.

Wait a sec....aren't you an English teacher???

That's what I thought.

We study writing and rhetorical language on all manner of subjects, not just the traditional English-oriented subjects like grammar and literature. I devote one unit to discussing the food supply in our country and the language that is used to talk about it. It's a good time; you could be in my class. We have CART. :)

I will watch it soon. This shall be really interesting.

I agree with just about everything you say here. I do think, though, that the slippery slope argument about government control is weak and unfounded, not just when it comes to this issue of nutrition, but when it comes to most arguments (gay marriage will lead to destruction of society; government healthcare will lead to death panels; etc. etc.) There is a wonderful thing in our American system of government, and that is called "checks and balances." Believe me, if the government starts breaking down your door and confiscating the spagettios (lol, that was a funny image you made :)), people will rise up, and change would be instituted. That's what makes our country so great. The people still have power. Don't let extreme conservative or liberal ideology pigeon-hole you into thinking otherwise.

hmmm...slippery slopes? how 'bout this one:
"welfare will help people out, give them a chance to get them back on their feet" We all know THAT one is not true in most cases. It has become a way of life, and if anything has made many completely helpless. The government started out with good intentions there and look what happened.

I also want to ad, for those of you talking about junk food being cheaper, you missed my point. I was not saying everyone should shop at Whole Foods or any of the other yuppie high end grocery stores. What I meant was, people should purchase fruit, vegetables and meat, and make real meals, not buy processed, boxed, sugar and chemical filled convenience-oriented foods made to save time. That stuff is WAY more expensive than just basic meat and veggies, and that is what I meant. Your dollar goes a lot further with basics, they go farther and the less it has been processed, the less expensive it is.

"welfare will help people out, give them a chance to get them back on their feet" We all know THAT one is not true in most cases. It has become a way of life, and if anything has made many completely helpless. The government started out with good intentions there and look what happened.

I also want to ad, for those of you talking about junk food being cheaper, you missed my point. I was not saying everyone should shop at Whole Foods or any of the other yuppie high end grocery stores. What I meant was, people should purchase fruit, vegetables and meat, and make real meals, not buy processed, boxed, sugar and chemical filled convenience-oriented foods made to save time. That stuff is WAY more expensive than just basic meat and veggies, and that is what I meant. Your dollar goes a lot further with basics, they go farther and the less it has been processed, the less expensive it is.

True, but those on welfare/food stamps have their options limited, since they usually do not have automobiles, and bus fares are expensive now. They are limited to local stores, and you know how THAT goes.

That "slippery slope" is something we are constantly warned about that never manifests. Just an argument directed at activating fear.:roll:

Again, the processed foods are cheaper. And more available to those that are without transportation.

There are a few that subsist on aid as a lifestyle. They are certainly not the norm. The vast majority of "welfare" recipients get off the doles as soon as possible. If everyone who received assistance was staying on for years and making it a lifestyle, they would have to die before assistance could be given to someone else. There are only so many dollars to be allotted. Given the number of people needing assistance in this economy, that most certainly is not the case. And those applying for assistance currently are folks who have never applied for assistance before in their entire lives. They have worked to earn an income. That opportunity has now been taken away from them.

The vast majority of people receiving assistance have simply had some unfortunate circumstances in their life and use it as intended. As a temporary measure to survive. In fact, in my state, there is a time limit on the assistance anyone can receive.

Have you ever attempted to do a months' shopping on foodstamps?

When I was getting food stamps, it was for 4 of us, since my mother was not considered part of the family. We only got $260 a month and I was told it was for 1 year only. I also got a packet of recipes and menu ideas on how to make that money stretch for us. Now, my mother got food stamps for herself and again, it was for 1 year only. All she got was $16 a month. Hardly worth it. I currently spend about $126 a week and almost none of it is processed foods. What is processed is the pudding my hubby gets in his lunch and an easy frozen meal for my mother to fix on the nights I am not home. That's one night a week. These days, I am using my food chopper more than normal, since hubby has no teeth. That will change in another month..

I agree that people who have food stamps should buy healthier foods but if they are trying to feed a family and only get limited funds, which would a parent would most likely to go for....10 boxes of processed dinners for $5 or 5 lemons for $5?

Yes, I buy lemons because I am addicted to drinking water with lemons and I just spent $5 on 5 freaking lemons. It sucks!

Again, the processed foods are cheaper. And more available to those that are without transportation.

There are a few that subsist on aid as a lifestyle. They are certainly not the norm. The vast majority of "welfare" recipients get off the doles as soon as possible. If everyone who received assistance was staying on for years and making it a lifestyle, they would have to die before assistance could be given to someone else. There are only so many dollars to be allotted. Given the number of people needing assistance in this economy, that most certainly is not the case. And those applying for assistance currently are folks who have never applied for assistance before in their entire lives. They have worked to earn an income. That opportunity has now been taken away from them.

The vast majority of people receiving assistance have simply had some unfortunate circumstances in their life and use it as intended. As a temporary measure to survive. In fact, in my state, there is a time limit on the assistance anyone can receive.

Have you ever attempted to do a months' shopping on foodstamps?

In the Wash DC area alone, long term recipients are over 50%. In my opinion, that is way too many. Most are single mothers, high school dropouts, who opted for early motherhood. In my state, they now tell welfare recip. that they no longer get increases in their checks when they have additional children, and also my state along with several others now requires welfare recip. to be drug tested, though not sure what is being done if the tests are positive for drugs...but I do know the local methadone clinic is full of patients, some pregnant, who are on medicaid. I had a point here but I lost it....oh, yeah, I have worked in the local ER as part of my nursing school training. I find it very hard to sympathize with people on assistance, you want to know why? Most of them are dressed better than I am. They have lovely sculptured airbrushed nails and the latest high priced cell phone - and when you ask for their insurance, they hand you a medicaid card. They have money to spend on life's luxuries, but expect the tax payers to foot their health care bill? What kind of values are we instilling in people by giving them something for nothing - what has become most important to them?

Again, I know there are people out there that need help from time to time, and I think it's great that those programs are in place to assist people. I don't think every one who needs public assistance is a low life.

No, thankfully, I have never had to shop on foodstamps! BUT, if I did, it would be common sense that you buy a few pounds of string beans for $3, bags of onions and potatoes for a few more dollars, some chicken or ground beef for a about 2 or 3 dollars a pound, bread, pasta for $1 a box or less...cans of tomato sauce... you DON'T buy Mrs B's ready made Pasta Peanut Satay for $4.99 that MAYBE feeds 2 people. You don't buy Stouffers frozen TV dinners for $3.99 each single serving. You can make a huge lasagna for about $5 - you would pay double for one already made that is half the size. You buy corn flakes for $1.99 a box, not Captain Crunch with Crunchberries for $4.79 a box. (and you don't let the kids eat the whole box in one sitting) Maybe you have to go without deluxe gourmet brands for now. You buy store brand, you use coupons. And usually people with kids who get food stamps also have access to government cheese, milk etc. so those things will be cheaper as well, if not "free" (free to everyone but the taxpayers, that is) It may take a little work, but I think I could feed myself and a kid or two on foodstamps. Lucky for me, my parents always worked, we always had food in the house, and they made sure that they had jobs with benefits, even if they hated those jobs. Once I was on my own, I worked, and usually had good benefits...I had a child young, but I managed to take care of us both without needing help, even if it meant working awful hours, a lot of my pay going to sitters, and no fun in my life for a few long years. You make sacrifices, you do what you have to do. Or, you sit on the couch watching Jerry Springer all day and wait for someone else to pay your way.

Back