Mexico City Law Allowing Same-Sex Unions To Take Effect.

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
Source is CNN.
This came as a surprise to me but then I admit that I'm not familiar with Mexican culture or politics.

Mexico City, Mexico (CNN) -- A law allowing same-sex weddings took effect Thursday in Mexico City, one day after the second same-sex marriage was performed in Argentina.

The Mexican measure also allows same-sex couples to adopt children.

Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard has said officials will be prepared to implement the new city law.

The Mexican Institute for Sexology, a private educational institution founded in 1979, held a workshop last month for the 60 Civil Registry judges who will perform the weddings, said Juan Luis Alvarez-Gayou, the institute's founder and director. Workshops are being held this week for 120 civil court judges who may have to rule on domestic issues after the weddings, Alvarez-Gayou said.

The Catholic Church has been opposed to the law, but officials have accepted the measure, the institute director said.

"We haven't had any problems with the judges," Alvarez-Gayou said.

The Mexico City law comes amid the beginning of wider acceptance for same-sex unions in Latin America.

In Argentina, Damian Bernath and Jorge Salazar were married Wednesday in a civil ceremony in the nation's capital, Buenos Aires, the official Telam news agency reported. Judicial measures had prevented gay marriage in Buenos Aires, but a judge issued a ruling last week allowing the two men to marry.

It was the second same-sex marriage in Argentina. The previous wedding took place in Tierra del Fuego after two men were denied a permit in Buenos Aires.

In that case, a Buenos Aires court had ruled that a ban on same-sex marriage was illegal and ordered the proper authorities to grant the couple a marriage license if they applied for one. On the eve of their December 1 wedding, however, another court filed an injunction, halting the nuptials.

In many Latin American jurisdictions, the issue of same-sex marriage is decided on the local and state level.

DF (Mexico City) is diverse and socially progressive. People in DF do not care same-sex couples want to get married, but they object strongly against them adopting children. Leftist PRD (a political party) has been ruling DF since in the middle of the 90s. It has been passed reform laws like abortion, and euthanasia. DF's assembly has the power to pass local laws, because DF has been in a contest with the federal government with long history with corruption, and dominated by the Catholic church. However, DF government is corrupt as well. DF law will not be recognized by Mexican states.

CNN fails to mention that in Mexico, IMSS laws do not recognize same gender marriage. Let me tell you what IMSS stands for - Mexican Social Security Institute. Same-sex couples cannot apply to receive shared benefits for public health insurance. so, it is up to the federal Congress that is controlled heavily by PRI and PRI's rival, PAN. Pension, and inheritance rights do not apply to same-sex couples who marry in DF because of the federal Constitution articles.

am glad to read of this, let's see what happens as more people try to exercise their right under this law, hope I'm wrong....

That is a surprise from Mexico with its strict Catholic values. I wonder what will happen to the trusting people who register and marry. Public record leaves them exposed.

Back