Messy kids what do you do ?

josey

Reaction score
I would like to find out more ways to get the kids to pick up and part take in chores and Not exprct payment but to learn that its them that made the mess and them who the stuff belongs to .
The slient butler has worked for years . Where a warning is issued that the bedrooms and areas were getting cleaning . I would say the silent butler called and can fit us in the morning and more however the tatic is back firing . because it workes like this . I get a garbage bag and go around and clean I don't put anything away after I get the call . They then need to earn it back . sometime the bulter comes and leaves notes you are doing a great job here is .... back . or they can pick x amount of items after keeping things clean for abit ( depending on age ) BUt now the little says go ahead call its less work I need to do . SHE figured it out :(

any more ideas .....
KIM

Good Thread here.

I have 2 children but eldest son is messy person... He has the problem to tidy his own bedroom and also school work, too.

I keep my boys to clean their own bedrooms.

My eldest son always said: "Later" when I asked him when will he sweep the dust away for me to damp mop to clean his bedroom floor (Laminated floor). *sigh* It's weeks, I wait... I told him that he always said "later"... but how? Because I want clean ...

He know I wash clothes every weekends... I told him that he have to put his clothes away to wash bin in bathroom instead of leave his clothes all over his sofa. He kept say: "later"... Okay he asked for it. I won't take his clothes from his sofa to wash... until he complaint to me that he has no clean sock, pant in his drawer... no T-shirt... I told him that he knows where wash bin is... It's wash bin, I pick, not pick his clothes from his sofa in his bedroom... He said to me that why can't I help him to tidy his clothes away to wash... I was like :eek: and answer back to him that I need his support, not his housekeeper. Why can't he do that when I need his support to help me with housework... He was like :eek: and said no more. He throw dirt clothes to wash bin time to time afterward... *Phew*

I bring basket of water and mop front of him in his bedroom telling him that I'm going to mop his floor... He said... "Noooo pleassse, I will do that later"... I ignored him and going to make mop damp ... He was grumply and said to me "Hold on" and put things away to his self and sweep the dust... I stand and watch him patience until he done then I mop and clean his window sills...

I got my children to put thier dishes away to kitchen sink after finish their meals. I also got my children to remove their bedcover and pillows to fresh one, too...

I let my eldest son to change and move things (sofa, desk, bed, etc) in his bedroom because I want him feel good and motivate more..... He loves do that... which it's good because it would help him feel good and clean his room more.

I can see that my eldest son hates clean anything but my youngest loves to clean and like to help me alot with chores, not just his bedroom but anything in the house and garden... I reward youngest son more than eldest son... I keep on asking my eldest son for support... Sometimes he helps me but it's better than nothing... I know he's good lad and doing his school well and know how to respect anything etc but messy in his bedroom and school work. *sigh*

He often mess his school work in his bag... can't find where ink is... I told him it's his problem because he know that I would not replace new things where he lost... He have to pay new one himself with his own money allowance... I only pay if school material are running out, but lost? No... He learn to be careful how to tidy his school work in his bag... He do that time to time... since he knows he WANT go to Economical and Business school this September (only if he pass his exam on 8th to 10th May *cross finger for him*).

Teach the kids to be responsible to take care of their rooms is better than do everything for kids because they will never learn...

Do Messy Children Have Any Hope?

DO MESSY CHILDREN HAVE ANY HOPE?

If you have a child with impulsive behavior, disorganization, and that makes a mess
wherever they go, the following tips will help them, and you, to stay patient.

Tip #1 - Set times for homework
Set times for homework. By setting 'chunks' of time for each
assignment (this could be quarter or half hour slots), it enables
your child to stay fresh and not get too bored with doing the
same piece of work for long periods.

Tip #2 - Make lists

Help them to get into the habit of writing lists. This could
be for homework, household chores or reminders of things
to do or stuff to take into school. Buy them a little notebook
which will fit easily into the pocket and can be carried
around at all times.

Tip #3 - Prepare the night before

Plan the next day and discuss it with your child before
they go to bed. Help them to lay their school uniform
out and ensure they have their bag packed ready for
school. This eliminates those horrendous mornings
when you end up running round like a headless chicken
looking for ties, school bus passes, matching pairs of
socks etc.

Tip #4 - Create a homework area

Set a position in their room for homework. Ensure
they have a desk or some sort of flat surface where
they can do their work. Keep plenty of pans and pencils
available for them to lay their hands on at all times.

Tip #5 - Leave notes

Leave notes for your child if he or she is old enough to
read. "Bring your hot water bottle down" or "Dirty
washing goes in the wash-basket" act as gentle
reminders for the child who tends to be messy.

Tip #6 - Provide storage

Provide plenty of storage in the way of wire baskets,
plastic crates or shoe boxes for them to keep their toys
or belongings in. Hang plastic hooks behind their
bedroom door to hang their clothes on to save them
being strewn all over the bedroom floor.

Tip #7 - Clean out the junk

Children like these usually have bedrooms which
look like they have been burgled. So to keep the mess
at least manageable, every week clean out and throw
out unused items.

Tip #8 - Regulate mealtimes

Try to keep mealtimes to round about the same times
every day. This establishes routine and makes children
secure in knowing that things will happen the same
every day. The same goes for bedtimes. Keep turning in
to the same time every night.

Tip #9 - Use a family calendar

Always use, so therefore encouraging your children to
use, a calendar for your commitments and any family birthdays
or anniversaries. Wall planners are good as you can see at
a glance what you have planned without having to flick
through pages.

Tip #10 - Encourage and reward

Finally, encourage good habits by letting your children
help you with your own chores and always reward for a job
well done. If your kids have at least tried to keep things tidy,
you should let them know how you have noticed this with a
reward and encouragement to do it again the next time.

http://members.aol.com/davenlewis/tips.html

http://members.aol.com/davenlewis/tips.html#

my son don't make that real mess but small. My stepdaughter always make much mess and my son learned from her, urghh but glad not do that all the time. They do pick up their mess before go bed or go anywhere. One thing, i hate when I have guest with kids, they always always always made play room real HUGE mess, and I aware its becuz, different toys. But they always not want to clean up, but force them to clean up from their parents, but their parents had to help cuz kids been whined. geez.

my boys always made a mess of everything even their own toys. they needed to start learning responsiblities. so i tell them to clean up, they tend to say later or clean up tomorrow. I would tell them no, you clean up right now or I will count to 10... then i start counting...sometimes it works for them to speed cleaning up,, if no avail. i just walk and get one huge black huffy trash bag, start to pick one toy at a time and throw it in the bag. boys would get so upset and say don't throw it away. I tell them well better clean up and i will return it back to you... it works pretty much.....if no avail. i confiscate the toy for a day.

I always say, "Look at this mess in your room" Ok then I guess I'll have to throw all your toys out, Jordan would panic, would pick up all his toys and put them in the toy box. Markus would do the same if I see his games on the middle of the floor in his room. And if I see toys in the living room, nor kitchen I would say the same thing, It works! ;)

Maybe try tell them to clean specific area of their room. . .

My daughter tends to feel overwhelmed if I tell her to clean her room. . She likes it best when I tell her to clean that area of the room and I will help her with other area. .

So she sees "less" work to do at a time in one area than telling her to clean a "big" room.

Even she loves the timer. . I could set it for 15 minutes then we do what we can in 15 minutes then stop take a break and do something else in other room for 15 minutes then go back to her bedroom for another 15 minutes. .

At least not to make it too obsess and focus for long time on one thing. .

By the way, this concept was taken from www.flylady.net

Its really helpful for organization and things to do around home & out of home.

My kids' rooms look like the aftermath of the Hiroshima bombing. My daughter is a complete slob and is incredibly disorganized. I dare not look in her schoolbag these days. My two sons, for some reason, don't know that I HAVE a laundry basket in the bathroom. The floor in their room seems to be a much better place to put dirty clothes. I've cleaned these rooms over and over again - granted, space is an issue - we have a very small house, so there's very little space for them to put their toys and other belongings, so clutter builds up again VERY quickly. I'm at the point where it's just so damn frustrating.

I simply tell them that they're going to clean it. Of course, they're little so they need "supervision" but I like the cleaning out of junk once or twice a week...now there's a fourth child on the way, which means space is going to be very much needed. So perhaps I'll call my friend - Mr. Black Trash Bag - and see if he can help me carry out some of their old toys and clothes. Sad thing is - when Hurricane Katrina demolished New Orleans, the kids and I managed to FILL seven garbage bags with toys, clothes and other assorted junk from their room to donate to the salvation army - looks like there's even MORE clutter, now. *groans*

Not worried, though - pretty soon we'll have a rainy day (April Showers bring May Flowers) and they'll not be seeing the light of day until their rooms are once again, CLEAN. I will stress upon them that pretty soon there will be a new baby in the house, and it is imperative that they all maintain a clean and non-hazardous environment for their new sibling. I know I've got to do the same thing with MY room, too!

Spring cleaning - indeed!

Lol, Malfy! I sincerely hope that this and other very recent posts by yourself signals that your'e back on a more regular basis. If not, c'mere, girl so I can spank ya!

The oldest is famous for trying on clothes, and then LEAVING THEM (everywhere) yep that is right. It doesn't matter where, it's on the table, desk, floor, couch or hallway.

The littlest, God help me. I try so hard to keep her clean. They are all ready to go, we get out of the door. She goes FLYING TO THE VAN (oh she HAS to get in first!). SLIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Face down in the mud! I get so mad, lack of trying or what. I change her again, and then she decides she is going to pick her muddy boots on way to Grandma's house and get mud everywhere again. (GRR!)

Middlest (honestly, I can tell you she is undoubtfully MINE) She cleans incredibly. When I ask her to, no fuss, no words, no arguement. She cleans awesome. Sometimes, she cleans the other's mess. But I reward her. I even get her a "special treat." The others get upset, I say oh well. Maybe IF you CLEANED when I ask you to, you would have gotten one.

So middlest figured out, the more she cleans for them. The more treats she is gonna get. So she is happy.

Back