Merciful Armed Owner

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
Merciful storekeeper changes robber's mind, religion
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A potential victim became a compassionate counselor during a recent robbery attempt, changing the would-be criminal's mind -- and apparently his religion.

Storekeeper Mohammad Sohail was closing up his Long Island convenience store just after midnight on May 21 when -- as shown on the store's surveillance video -- a man came in wielding a baseball bat and demanding money.

"He said, 'Hurry up and give me the money, give me the money!' and I said, 'Hold on'," Sohail recalled in a phone interview with CNN on Tuesday, after the store video and his story was carried on local TV.

Sohail said he reached under the counter, grabbed his shotgun and told the robber to drop the bat and get down on his knees.

"He's crying like a baby," Sohail said. "He says, 'Don't call police, don't shoot me, I have no money, I have no food in my house.' "

Amidst the man's apologies and pleas, Sohail said he felt a surge of compassion.

He made the man promise never to rob anyone again and when he agreed, Sohail gave him $40 and a loaf of bread.

"When he gets $40, he's very impressed, he says, 'I want to be a Muslim just like you,' " Sohail said, adding he had the would-be criminal recite an Islamic oath.

"I said 'Congratulations. You are now a Muslim and your name is Nawaz Sharif Zardari.'"

When asked why he chose the hybrid of two Pakistani presidents' names, the Pakistani immigrant laughed and said he had been watching a South Asian news channel moments before the confrontation.

Sohail said the man fled the store when he turned away to get the man some free milk.

He said police might still be looking for the suspect but he doesn't intend to press charges.

"The guy, you know, everybody has a hard time right now, it's too bad for everybody right now in this economy," said the storekeeper.

That's why it's good to have guns at convenience stores! That's where the Second Amendment makes PERFECT sense!

If I try to rob you with a baseball bat and you pull a shotgun on me, I'd probably convert to any religion you wanted me to too, and would give you a story about being unable to feed my family, etc.

Holding a gun to ones head and them saying they want to be like you, doesn't make one a convert lol.

If I try to rob you with a baseball bat and you pull a shotgun on me, I'd probably convert to any religion you wanted me to too, and would give you a story about being unable to feed my family, etc.

Holding a gun to ones head and them saying they want to be like you, doesn't make one a convert lol.

:laugh2:

Yeah...lets see if baseball bat dude shows up at Mosque.:giggle: Or back at the convenience store with a gun instead of a bat next time..

:laugh2:

Yeah...lets see if baseball bat dude shows up at Mosque.:giggle: Or back at the convenience store with a gun instead of a bat next time..

LOL...true. The store owner acts like he is surprised the guy ran out when he went to get get some milk....Bad guy got caught trying to rob the place...and that was his opportunity to run.

Back