Meniere's Disease...need to learn ASL..help?

jessmorg88

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Jessica and I'm 24 years old. I was recently diagnosed with meniere's disease, thought I have had hearing problems for almost 10 years now. When I was 16 I lost hearing in my right ear completely for about 20 minutes. and it progressed from there. The last I visited the doctor, I was told I had 20% hearing in my left ear, and 50% hearing in my right. This was a year ago...
Sense then, I have completely lost my left ear, and my right I suppose is about 30%.
I have learned to read lips, with the help of hearing a vowel or two..though, I'm afraid I wont be able to read lips without them. Last night at work my right ear dropped out completely, but my boss said I had to keep working because of the dinner rush. (I'm a cashier at a local fast food chain). She didn't understand that I COULDN'T work and kept me taking orders (which most of them were messed up I might add). My hearing has regained itself for the moment, though I fear not for long.
So here I am, knowing the inevitability that I will be completely deaf one day, and one day soon. I'm not depressed or calling for sympathy, only for help in learning to sign. I started learning about 2 years ago, but its hard to keep up when no one around me is willing to sign with me. My household wont learn ASL, and my lover will learn a word here and there, but doesn't understand the severity of the situation.
I would like to make some friends that I can communicate with now and when I am deaf, and to communicate with me through ASL. I have a skype account so we could sign online (don't worry, I'm not a creeper). my username is jessmorg3. please, someone help..

Hi Jessica,
I am sorry I can't help with the ASL request and this will probably get me bounced out of here but consider the implant route. I was 32 years old and lost 100% in both ears in less than 24 hours. I learned to read lips very well, took ASL classes and signed with my then 4 year old son for practice. I was NEVER accepted into the deaf community even though I was anxious to become a part of it. This was 30 years ago, before the implant was practical (or partially covered by insurance). Ten years ago I bit the bullet and had the implants put in and basically got my life back. Perfect? Hardly, but certainly makes my life livable. On the plus side, you can just turn them off (I'm sitting it total and blessed silence right now) and concentrate on what you are doing. Jessica, do what you feel is right for you. ASL is pretty beautiful and I would have become quite fluent had I been able to find someone with patience to help me. Good Luck and take care.

have you had scans,if not you should have more tests.many people with meniere often have one and maybe year or so before another attack..i would insist on second opinion and more in depth tests.

I cannot help with the ASL request but I hope I can help you a little:

Have you looked into the HLAA young adult groups? Some sign some don't, you may make some friends on both ends of the fence and learn ASL :)
I've been to a few things and they were cool. Check it out online. A lot of colleges have ASL groups as well as the community colleges--they are for students learning ASL but if you don't go there you may be able to sign up for a class at one of those. They do social stuff and work on ASL. I would have a sit down with my boss ASAP to discuss what's up and how you can work the most effectively. I would also have a serious talk with the significant other, since they didn't get it before. Kudos to you for Learning ASL and looking for solutions :)

I'm 6 years into where you are now... And scheduled for a cochlear implant consultation in 5 days. I learned ASL... I'd be happy to help you out. Im not perfect at it but i use it daily plus ive been there with trying to get friends/family/boyfriends on board or sympathetic. I'm on Skype too: ChristineNeely in NY or Albany or Saratoga (idk where the listing is under)... Ill try to find you now.

Back