Meeting Deaf people while out and about

lifted

Reaction score
I met a Deaf guy at the store today, in the produce section... I was diggin' though the celery, and all of it was bad...He was putting more produce out, I turn to him and ask him if he has any more celery because it's all bad. He says "I'm deaf", I nod and he starts to take out a note pad but then he sees me point at the celery and sign "bad" and sign if he can look in the back? He says he'll go check and comes back... a few more communication problems and he takes out his phone and types that he will ask his boss to order more... so I thank him.. and pick out the least grim looking celery. ;)

So my question is.... Did I handle this situation properly? I have lived in this town for 13 years and never met a deaf person... I was so excited to see someone I could sign with and have been reminded why I am to learning to Sign in the first place. Being able to do even simple signs really helps! I wish I could sign better because I wanted to ask him if he knew of any deaf events in the area (because I know of NOTHING around here) or ask him more about himself... but is that appropriate to ask? He was around the same age as me so I was wondering if he went to my high school... Again, I wish my ASL was better. Can't really complain though, I started class 2 weeks ago. :D

Back