Meeting deaf/ Hoh?

ashbekah

Reaction score
I am wondering how to go about meeting/ getting involved in the Deaf community in my area? I am wanting to learn ASL and meet deaf people. How would I do this? And since I don't know sign language yet, how would I be looked upon? I do not know anyone who is deaf, so if I were to go to a deaf function, I would be going completely by myself, with no knowledge/ preparation of what to expect. Any suggestions??

Bring something to write on and an open mind. I go to a Deaf social every week and quite often someone (hearing) wanting to do the same thing as you turns up, curious about it.

They're welcomed, though I also note that often they don't come back (the last two haven't).

Metalangel, thanks for replying. Why do you think it is that the hearies often don't come back after one or two times of going?

I think a lot of hearing non-signers think that Deaf Clubs are going to be like "ASL classes" - meaning that someone's going to sit there with them and teach them all night...

There are Deaf car clubs where deaf/Deaf people meet to argue, cuss, and show off their turbocharged engines. You would fit in in that group if you know a thing or 2 about turbos. You'll have a blast time out there.

Metalangel, thanks for replying. Why do you think it is that the hearies often don't come back after one or two times of going?

I'm hearing too, but I have a year's full time ASL instruction at college and time out socializing, whereas the two people I mentioned both had only very basic skills (alphabet and limited vocab).

One mostly sat and watched and looked very uncomfortable, the other wrote a lot of notes to one of the women (Deaf) who was organizing the activity that night (we were making signs for the Pride parades)... I don't know why she didn't come back.

They aren't the first ones, I find that people say they are keen on learning but maybe don't have the time to commit to coming either to the socials or to the ASL 101 classes which are also offered in the same centre? There is usually visible relaxation from them when they ask if you're hearing and you say yes. I sometimes feel a bit awkward as they will just speak at me once they know.

derek is right, there is a lot of cussing, rude talk... no turbocharged engines, though. One guy comes on his moped, which has a Harley sticker on the front, if that counts for anything.

Back