Medicine to Treat Deafness

Possibly because when they tried, some girl went wild and took out someones windshield. We were a wild bunch of "county hick's" in Central Florida's orange groves. :laugh2:

Hey, I broke several of my mom's windows practicing in the backyard. By the time I was 12 years old, my speed was over 50 mph. Many coaches were already scouting me to play for their teams for the city of Phx. My mom tried to put me in a pitching camp but she couldnt afford it. It was like 50 dollars an hour!!! :shock:

Hey, I broke several of my mom's windows practicing in the backyard. By the time I was 12 years old, my speed was over 50 mph. Many coaches were already scouting me to play for their teams for the city of Phx. My mom tried to put me in a pitching camp but she couldnt afford it. It was like 50 dollars an hour!!! :shock:

Wow!! That's great!! I guess I wasn't really into it that much. My parents just wanted to me to be physically active and all. I much preferred my piano lessons and such.

re: OP - attitude - in oneself and others - is the real "impairment".
I have developed a persistent attitude in part because of my LD, which means I have to try harder than many people to understand things others do naturally or easily, and sometimes I may not "get it" - but my LD has given me also this gift of patience and persistence. I am new hoh in last couple of years but this has opened up my world to include ASL and Deaf community here. The only one that would be stopping me from enjoying my life would be - ME

Those medicines which is all "Quack" remind me of the old days where white medicine men and their sidekicks would sell medicines like liguors or whatever they put them in the medicine bottles to fool the townpeople that the "medicine" would cure their sickness. They are just looking to make a fast bucks. No big deal. Those Chinese can really fool them plenty.

I can not for the life of me why you are feeling sorry for yourself when you can not have a good life because of your hearing impaired. I am sorry you feel that way, but you have to change your attitude so that you can be successful with your life better. No one in the world is perfect. Everyone of us whether normal or disabled, we have flaws that you would be surprise about what our hearing and normal world have. :roll:

Deafness is not a disease. There is nothing to cure.

AMEN SISTAH!!!! PREACH IT PREACH IT C'MON!!! PREACH JESUS!! HALLELUJAH!!

But seriously, I do not see deafness as a disease, nor do scientist see it as a disease.

A disease by definition is a genetic mutation that usually leads to death. Far as I know, I've not read about anyone dying of deafness. Has anyone else? If not, then why should there be a 'cure'?

A disease by definition is a genetic mutation that usually leads to death. Far as I know, I've not read about anyone dying of deafness. Has anyone else? If not, then why should there be a 'cure'?

Deafness is not a disease, but it's considered a handicap in the hearing world. I am getting stem cells to improve my hearing so I can cope better in the hearing world. Those in Deaf culture consider their Deafness as normal as hearing people consider their hearing.

Deafness is not a disease, but it's considered a handicap in the hearing world. I am getting stem cells to improve my hearing so I can cope better in the hearing world. Those in Deaf culture consider their Deafness as normal as hearing people consider their hearing.

I spent a lot of time in the hearing world as a hearing person with a progressivly worsening loss while growing up. We always considered the whole person, not just whatever limitations they had. Now that I am deaf, I still see no limitations in either the hearing world or the deaf world. It's no different than I diabetic having to be careful of what they eat, a blind person being careful of things, or a paraplegic or quadraplegic having to be careful. They are still people who have a lot to offer society.

I spent a lot of time in the hearing world as a hearing person with a progressivly worsening loss while growing up. We always considered the whole person, not just whatever limitations they had. Now that I am deaf, I still see no limitations in either the hearing world or the deaf world. It's no different than I diabetic having to be careful of what they eat, a blind person being careful of things, or a paraplegic or quadraplegic having to be careful. They are still people who have a lot to offer society.

There's alot of things I can do, but hearing well is one thing I can't do. You know what it's like to be hearing. I am getting stem cells to become partially hearing. It would make communicating and understanding speech with my hearing friends and family easier. I would like to see what music is like that most of my hearing friends enjoy so much. Id also like to hear more environmental sounds. Youve experienced all this and I am curious to experience the same. All my hearing friends/family can understand why I would like to experience some ability to hear. Do you ever plan to become hearing again or do you prefer to spend the rest of your life in silence once you can no longer benefit from HAs? Your choice, just wondering. :hmm:

There's alot of things I can do, but hearing well is one thing I can't do. You know what it's like to be hearing. I am getting stem cells to become partially hearing. It would make communicating and understanding speech with my hearing friends and family easier. I would like to see what music is like that most of my hearing friends enjoy so much. Id also like to hear more environmental sounds. Youve experienced all this and I am curious to experience the same. All my hearing friends/family can understand why I would like to experience some ability to hear. Do you ever plan to become hearing again or do you prefer to spend the rest of your life in silence once you can no longer benefit from HAs? Your choice, just wondering. :hmm:

i can hear very well with my CI. guess what? i'd rather be deaf.

i can hear very well with my CI. guess what? i'd rather be deaf.

I respect your choice. What made you choose CI instead of HAs or silence forever? I have my many reasons(explained in my blog and other posts) for choosing stem cells over CI. I hear to some degree with HAs but would love to hear better.

I respect your choice. What made you choose CI instead of HAs or silence forever? I have my many reasons(explained in my blog and other posts) for choosing stem cells over CI. I hear to some degree with HAs but would love to hear better.

i was born with nerve damage that caused sensorineural hearing loss in both ears.. i'm profoundly deaf in both ears (we're talking 120+ decibels here). so hearing aids never worked on me. i didn't choose the CI, my parents did. i was only seven years old. it was a huge improvement for my hearing with the CI.. i mean, i went from hearing absolutely nothing to hearing everything. even whispers. i only have one CI, it's on the right side. so, if you want to hear better, i'd talk to a doctor about the CI. why wait for stem cells when you can get a CI now? i know it's expensive and whatnot, but insurance can pay for it. you would still have to go through audiological therapy either way..

i was born with nerve damage that caused sensorineural hearing loss in both ears.. i'm profoundly deaf in both ears (we're talking 120+ decibels here). so hearing aids never worked on me. i didn't choose the CI, my parents did. i was only seven years old. it was a huge improvement for my hearing with the CI.. i mean, i went from hearing absolutely nothing to hearing everything. even whispers. i only have one CI, it's on the right side. so, if you want to hear better, i'd talk to a doctor about the CI. why wait for stem cells when you can get a CI now? i know it's expensive and whatnot, but insurance can pay for it. you would still have to go through audiological therapy either way..

You got your CI back in 1994? What db threshold do you hear with CI and what's your speech understanding? My parents told me when I was a young child, they attended a CI seminiar and the speaker actually said "do not get CI if you can hear anything at all with HAs. CI gave you very little awareness to sounds and no speech"

I understand your parent's choice to give you CI as you were 100% deaf, had no residual hearing and got nothing from HAs. My parents probably would have done the same if I had no residual hearing. Have you asked insurance if they could approve a 2nd CI? It would probably give you much better hearing than your old CI.

Have you checked out my blog? A deaf dude's life if you have questions, ask away here or as a comment in my blog. Many of the answers are already in my blog.

You got your CI back in 1994? What db threshold do you hear with CI and what's your speech understanding? My parents told me when I was a young child, they attended a CI seminiar and the speaker actually said "do not get CI if you can hear anything at all with HAs. CI gave you very little awareness to sounds and no speech"

I understand your parent's choice to give you CI as you were 100% deaf, had no residual hearing and got nothing from HAs. My parents probably would have done the same if I had no residual hearing. Have you asked insurance if they could approve a 2nd CI? It would probably give you much better hearing than your old CI.

Have you checked out my blog? A deaf dude's life if you have questions, ask away here or as a comment in my blog. Many of the answers are already in my blog.

yup, it was 1994. i don't know what threshold i hear with the CI, i don't have the papers with me. i can speak very well, but i have a problem with understanding the spoken english language. that's why you need audiological therapy. since i never learned how to understand what people were saying until i started the training at seven years old, i kind of missed that threshold for absorbing the information. i don't know how to explain it. i do know what sounds are like, though.. like i know the difference between a cat meowing and a dog barking, male voice versus female voice, airplanes and motorcycles, etc. - that's all a part of the audiological therapy. just for some reason, i couldn't get the spoken english part. it's not like i knew it before or anything, so there's no loss of information. *shrug*

the CI does kill what hearing you have left. that's why some people are uneasy about getting one, i guess.

nope, i don't want a second CI. i don't see the need for one, since my hearing is so good with the CI i have now. i rarely wear it because i'd rather be deaf - i only wear it when i'm home alone without my roommates' dogs (i can feel their barking) and when i want to listen to music. no big deal, i've been doing just fine with life for the last five years (i stopped wearing it when i was 17).

lol anakin. I have two ha's. I must wear them at work. My boss is sooo - I guess the word is - audist. So, I too have to wear equipment that I prefer to be without. When I get home, those ha's go straight into the dryer. It feels so free.

I also have dogs. One is trained to alert me by jumping up, (not on me, just jumping) or putting her paws on my lap. There are also two pocket pups.

(I am late deaf due to surgery, and declined a surgery to "fix" it).

I think the herbs or what-have-you are a scam.

I agree that deafness is not a disease and does not need to be cured.

quack-doctor.jpg

Doctor_Quack.JPG

I had HA's and now they will no longer benefit me. I also am not a candidate for a CI. I do not want to consider stem cells as I don't thin it's what was intended for my life. I have had the benefits of enjoying music and then having dismay at what classifies as music. I have no way to be hearing again and I'm not sure I want to be.

I am not saying that you shouldn't do the stem cell, but it's just not for me and I would hope you are not placing all of your faith on something that may not be guaranteed.

lol anakin. I have two ha's. I must wear them at work. My boss is sooo - I guess the word is - audist. So, I too have to wear equipment that I prefer to be without. When I get home, those ha's go straight into the dryer. It feels so free.

I also have dogs. One is trained to alert me by jumping up, (not on me, just jumping) or putting her paws on my lap. There are also two pocket pups.

(I am late deaf due to surgery, and declined a surgery to "fix" it).

I think the herbs or what-have-you are a scam.

I agree that deafness is not a disease and does not need to be cured.

I can relate and feel the same way. At least now that I am total deaf (can't hear a thing and tests did confirm it), I don't have to even deal with the "swimmer's ear" that I got from my HA's. It was more trouble having them than it is without them.

I read whole of your thread. I agree with other members about deafness will not cure! You can't control deaf people to do. The deaf and hoh rather be choice themselves. They can wear hearing aids, cochlear implants and or non hearing aids and non cochlear implant.

I'm sure you are having a full and enjoyable life where you can play sports, poker, have fun at clubs/bars, have many friends, be sociable, have the best job in the world, etc.
Duh! All deaf and hearing are the same! They can do anything. It depend on deaf people's degree and non degree.

To me, I can't. I wish I could be all that I could be but I can't because I'm hearing impaired. I would rather not have kids than to have them born hearing impaired/deaf. I would rather adopt one.

Why don't you accept be deafness? Why is your username? Why you're worrying about have kids give a birth deaf/hard of hearing??? The life is too short to worry! Where are you coming from?? How did you became deaf or hard of hearing? Do you have deaf family or not?? IF you don't have deaf family. It mean you would have hearing children. I have several deaf cousins in my mom's side family. I'm deaf with CI and married to hearing man. I'm pregnant. My husband do not have deaf in his family. It mean our children will be hearing. If I have deaf child and will accept it. I will teach them to learn baby sign language real earlier then learn American sign language

Do you really want them to feel left out in school, can't be sociable, can't go to karaoke, can't enjoy sports, always be left behind in things due to slow learning, and most of all be all that he could be. One day your kid will be old enough to blame you for impaired hearing/deaf. He'll always be pissed in life.

That is not TRUE!!! All deaf, hard of hearing and hearing are the SAME!!!! My future children will not blame on me being deafness. I can teach my kids to learn sign language so early. It obvious you never experience with deaf education, deaf cultures, sign language and social with deaf/hard of hearing people.

You're worrying too much about your deafness. How old you became deafness? I don't believe in Stem cell to cure for deafness and even medicine to cure for deafness. I read your other threads. That is nothing new! :roll: You posted a links are SCAMMED!

Back