Medical signs

Captain Vegink

Reaction score
I'm learning some sign language for my girlfriend. All online. I've got about 4 sites (aslpro.com, lifeprint.com, commtechlab.msu.edu, and signingsavvy.com) But I can't find much medical terms in there. Is there a site? Or are more terms finger spelt? I've tried looking... Probably not as hard as I typically do. But if there is a good site, I'd like to know. Any and all help is appreciated.

There is a dictionary available for signs of medical terminology; check out Amazon.com. Using these as a foundation, in my practice we use a lot of descriptive signs for symptoms and some diagnoses, and fingerspell others. Medications except Tylenol are generally fingerspelled. Obviously, my need for more technical and specific signs is greater since I communicate with other physicians and need to sign "medical-ese". Some words/signs/terminology are very specific to my practice, and my terp and I have come up with specific name signs or descriptive signs for those. Let me know if you have specific signs you need, and I'll do my best to help. There are a lot of people much better than me on this web site that can also help.

There is a dictionary available for signs of medical terminology; check out Amazon.com. Using these as a foundation, in my practice we use a lot of descriptive signs for symptoms and some diagnoses, and fingerspell others. Medications except Tylenol are generally fingerspelled. Obviously, my need for more technical and specific signs is greater since I communicate with other physicians and need to sign "medical-ese". Some words/signs/terminology are very specific to my practice, and my terp and I have come up with specific name signs or descriptive signs for those. Let me know if you have specific signs you need, and I'll do my best to help. There are a lot of people much better than me on this web site that can also help.

Maybe you can come up with a better medical ASL dictionary????

many diseases are just fingerspelled followed by appropriate syntax symptoms in ASL. Also most anatomical terms can be signed.

many diseases are just fingerspelled followed by appropriate syntax symptoms in ASL. Also most anatomical terms can be signed.

There are signs for some various diseases, illnesses, etc.. whatever you want to call them. There are signs for deafness, hearing impaired, epilepsy, seizure, autism, and chicken .. pox just to name a few. They are not all fingerspelt.

Maybe you can come up with a better medical ASL dictionary????

Maybe the sign for "headpain medication" is not good enough for him??? Even though most all "headpain medication" otc is all the same stuff, acetaminophen.

There are signs for some various diseases, illnesses, etc.. whatever you want to call them. There are signs for deafness, hearing impaired, epilepsy, seizure, autism, and chicken .. pox just to name a few. They are not all fingerspelt.

....hence why I said manyand not all. You are free to come to my hospital and perfectly sign all questionable diagnoses for me.

I'm learning some sign language for my girlfriend. All online. I've got about 4 sites (aslpro.com, lifeprint.com, commtechlab.msu.edu, and signingsavvy.com) But I can't find much medical terms in there. Is there a site? Or are more terms finger spelt? I've tried looking... Probably not as hard as I typically do. But if there is a good site, I'd like to know. Any and all help is appreciated.

Online medical sign language. You may interest it.
Diseases A-Z - DeafMD.org

Back