Medical interpreting questioner

honeybunny526

Reaction score
Hi, I am doing a project for my interpreting program. The project is about medical interpreting and Deaf peoples experience with interpreters

Here are a few questions if you have time.
Thank you

1) what was the setting? (Heart problem, dental, emergency room, regular checkup, illness. Ect...)
2) what was the nurses/doctors reaction to the interpreter
3) who made the introduction?
4) how did you feel about the interpreter?
5) did the interpreter do a good job?
6) have you been to a doctor without an interpreter?
7) do you prefer to have an interpreter?
8) how long did you have to wait for the interpreter to arrive
9)where instructions about medication made clear for you by the interpreter?

Thank you

Hi, I am doing a project for my interpreting program. The project is about medical interpreting and Deaf peoples experience with interpreters

Here are a few questions if you have time.
Thank you

1) what was the setting? (Heart problem, dental, emergency room)
2) what was the nurses/doctors reaction to the interpreter
3) who made the introduction?
4) how did you feel about the interpreter?
6) did the interpreter do a good job?
7) have you been to a doctor without an interpreter?
8) do you prefer to have an interpreter?
9) how long did you have to wait for the interpreter to arrive
10)where instructions about medication made clear for you by the interpreter?

Thank you
Well, since you're pretty vague about the conditions.

1.) Doctor's visit due to being ill.
2.) None
3.) My mom
4.) I love my mom.
5.) Skipped, because you don't know how to add 1 to 4
6.) Yes
7.) Yes
8.) Yes
9.) When i used to go with my mom, no wait times.
10.) She got my medicine for me, so..... no?

You're welcome.

Well, since you're pretty vague about the conditions.

1.) Doctor's visit due to being ill.
2.) None
3.) My mom
4.) I love my mom.
5.) Skipped, because you don't know how to add 1 to 4
6.) Yes
7.) Yes
8.) Yes
9.) When i used to go with my mom, no wait times.
10.) She got my medicine for me, so..... no?

You're welcome.

That is strange that you had to have your mother becoming your ASL (?) interpreter for your doctor's appointment. If it is emergency, then maybe you have no choice but to have your mother be there to interpret what the doctors said. But if you are in the Doctor's Office, you need with the help from the Doctor's office to hire or get certified ASL interpreter to interpret for you instead of your mother. You make plan to have a interpreter be there at the Doctor's office which will be a week or two weeks time for you to get appointment with the Doctor including the certified interpreter.

You can not rely or depend on your mother for interpreter job for you. How old are you?

It happen when we, Deaf adults, do that with our children to act our ASL interpreters in the old days (long time ago). We learned the hard way that we are not suppose to rely or depend on our children to become ASL interpreters for us. So that was a mistake on that. It is frown on that. So it is best to get certified interpreter. Don't get your friend to be ASL interpreter, either. Just someone from the ASL interpreting service with the hearing society in your state. If you don't have hearing society, then you can try at VR (Vocational Rehabilitation).

That is now in for Deaf Culture. No children or relatives or friends to become ASL interpreters for you or us. That is the rule. :cool2:

i mostly go on my own or when husband with me he do terp but that not only reason he come.i have seen deaf anxious when terp no turn up question 10 i think being treated like child i can read instruction on medication as Beb says you do it yourself...Family and friend be subjective you need objective person....i not American but it should be same principle everywhere... a nurse somewhere in hospital do bsl but that has been luck for me

That is strange that you had to have your mother becoming your ASL (?) interpreter for your doctor's appointment. If it is emergency, then maybe you have no choice but to have your mother be there to interpret what the doctors said. But if you are in the Doctor's Office, you need with the help from the Doctor's office to hire or get certified ASL interpreter to interpret for you instead of your mother. You make plan to have a interpreter be there at the Doctor's office which will be a week or two weeks time for you to get appointment with the Doctor including the certified interpreter.

You can not rely or depend on your mother for interpreter job for you. How old are you?

It happen when we, Deaf adults, do that with our children to act our ASL interpreters in the old days (long time ago). We learned the hard way that we are not suppose to rely or depend on our children to become ASL interpreters for us. So that was a mistake on that. It is frown on that. So it is best to get certified interpreter. Don't get your friend to be ASL interpreter, either. Just someone from the ASL interpreting service with the hearing society in your state. If you don't have hearing society, then you can try at VR (Vocational Rehabilitation).

That is now in for Deaf Culture. No children or relatives or friends to become ASL interpreters for you or us. That is the rule. :cool2:
lol. Like i said, since the questionnaire was not specific, i answered from when i was a child. I am 35 now, and don't even need an interpreter. I don't visit doctors. :D

This thread is double. Please merge this thread into other thread in other category. :ty:

If I was to even request an interpreter, I would request one that knows a thing or 2 about vehicles with turbocharged engine. I hate doctor so much that I would love to run out and set a record time in 0-60 run once I leave doctor office. I wouldn't have time to rate interpreter. It wouldn't matter because we would be laughing so loud about turbos as we kill time in waiting room.

Back