media server

deafclimber

Reaction score
out of curiousity, who has the media server at home ? i plan to built the media server for movies for home only. any tip wud be helpful.

i have wireless network at home and i do watch the movies on my laptop or tv that come from a regular computer, but i prefer to have the media server at home and i do not want my computer to become the server. i plan to make my old PC into the media server. i consider to have about 500 gb hard drives that can holds 70 movies or more. maybe i look for a rackmount.

the reason i want those movies on harddrive is because i dont want my DVDs get worn out or get scratched badly. my friends or my daughter can damage my DVDs which they already did so i put several movies on my harddrive so we can select a movie on tv or laptop to see that are transfered from my computer but i wud prefer to have the media server.

i have googled some ideas and interests from those movie freaks with their own media servers, but i want to see anyone in AD who may has the media server. :)

lonetundrawolf said:
make a back up copy of your DVD's and play the copies...cheaper that way.

lol i do, but i like the media networking better. thanks :)

I do not have one. I need to tell you that I'm glad that you brought this up because I have seen a demo room at some stores (a few months ago), and I never knew about it. I thought that it has to do with music stuff. I will add this idea for my house project. I checked a website http://axonix.com, and it cost 10,000 dollars to set up a media server. Not bad for your idea to use your old computer... Hold your thought, are you sure that it is really legal for you to storage your movies in your hard disk? I would think that there is a hidden file that prevent us to copy them into the computer. It seems that you know more about it than I do. Let us know how did you make out after you finish your project. Good Luck.

deafclimber said:
out of curiousity, who has the media server at home ? i plan to built the media server for movies for home only. any tip wud be helpful.

i have wireless network at home and i do watch the movies on my laptop or tv that come from a regular computer, but i prefer to have the media server at home and i do not want my computer to become the server. i plan to make my old PC into the media server. i consider to have about 500 gb hard drives that can holds 70 movies or more. maybe i look for a rackmount.

the reason i want those movies on harddrive is because i dont want my DVDs get worn out or get scratched badly. my friends or my daughter can damage my DVDs which they already did so i put several movies on my harddrive so we can select a movie on tv or laptop to see that are transfered from my computer but i wud prefer to have the media server.

i have googled some ideas and interests from those movie freaks with their own media servers, but i want to see anyone in AD who may has the media server. :)

Hmm. I am not sure about HDTV would work great for wireless because blu-ray and DVD-HD are 30GB.

webexplorer said:
I do not have one. I need to tell you that I'm glad that you brought this up because I have seen a demo room at some stores (a few months ago), and I never knew about it. I thought that it has to do with music stuff. I will add this idea for my house project. I checked a website http://axonix.com, and it cost 10,000 dollars to set up a media server. Not bad for your idea to use your old computer... Hold your thought, are you sure that it is really legal for you to storage your movies in your hard disk? I would think that there is a hidden file that prevent us to copy them into the computer. It seems that you know more about it than I do. Let us know how did you make out after you finish your project. Good Luck.
well yes you can rip the code inside DVD. there are several dvd ripping programs that you can find in google search. the best tool is dvd decrypter and second best one is dvd shrink. the dvd movies can be transfered to harddrive. yes it is illegal but there have been debating over the issues. i dont sell these DVDs. I buy DVDs therefore i can put these DVD movies into harddrive. look at these media servers companies like www.axonix.com or www.inteset.com. why do the companies do their own ways ? illegal ? they do program from dvd to media server. to me they are legal. why $$$$ on silly media server or their own dvd to harddrive programs? can we afford that for only home? no, i dont think so i prefer having my own home built media server.

you can compress those dvd movies into mpeg4 or Dinx for better compressed file on storage. that format can work on any dvd encoder.

Deafclimber,

Yikes!!!! I have to see any scratch from recorded DVDs.

Are you gonna to record VHS on your old VCR again?

Neo said:
Hmm. I am not sure about HDTV would work great for wireless because blu-ray and DVD-HD are 30GB.

yea wait and see... maybe someone can do the program to compress these HD DVD and blue ray next few month.

beware: 802.11G is better for the movies streaming.

i am not worried about wireless networking and HD because 802.11N will come out this coming spring hopefully...

mld4ds said:
Deafclimber,

Yikes!!!! I have to see any scratch from recorded DVDs.

Are you gonna to record VHS on your old VCR again?

nah i never like the dark aged VCR. if you have those old VHS and want to have it on DVD, then you can do transfer the VHS to DVD.

Last edited:
deafclimber said:
well yes you can rip the code inside DVD. there are several dvd ripping programs that you can find in google search. the best tool is dvd decrypter and second best one is dvd shrink. the dvd movies can be transfered to harddrive. yes it is illegal but there have been debating over the issues. i dont sell these DVDs. I buy DVDs therefore i can put these DVD movies into harddrive. look at these media servers companies like www.axonix.com or www.inteset.com. why do the companies do their own ways ? illegal ? they do program from dvd to media server. to me they are legal. why $$$$ on silly media server or their own dvd to harddrive programs? can we afford that for only home? no, i dont think so i prefer having my own home built media server.

you can compress those dvd movies into mpeg4 or Dinx for better compressed file on storage. that format can work on any dvd encoder.

also there are are a lot of companies developing DVD burning software lately. the hollywood movies cannot stop them i believe.

deafclimber said:
yea wait and see... maybe someone can do the program to compress these HD DVD and blue ray next few month.

beware: 802.11G is better for the movies streaming.

i am not worried about wireless networking and HD because 802.11N will come out this coming spring hopefully...

I hope so. I have to wait till 802.11N come out and I will replace my laptop's mini pci from b/g to A/B/G/N and bluetooth.

It's Blu-ray! I am sure it's correct.

deafclimber said:

Ha. I use shrink since 2003 or something.

You would build your own media server and save lot money. Not really hard to do it.

Neo said:
Ha. I use shrink since 2003 or something.

You would build your own media server and save lot money. Not really hard to do it.

heh. yea it is good that can compress big files to under 4k mbs. save storage's spaces.

Back