Mazda dumped 4,703 brand new cars to scrapyard

Shush! what a waste too!! If cars are not wet then Why not sell it cheep!! $1 each to get rid of it. Anyone would be interested in buying $1 Brand New cars!! BE NICE!

Catty

wow :ugh3:

Shush! what a waste too!! If cars are not wet then Why not sell it cheep!! $1 each to get rid of it. Anyone would be interested in buying $1 Brand New cars!! BE NICE!

Catty

That´s good suggestion... Why can´t they sell us for $1 instead of waste them to scrapyard.

That's crazy to send all those brand new cars to the crusher or shredder. I guess they don't want to deal with recalls or liability issues with those cars.

And I agree it's a BIG waste! *smh*

A Crushing Issue: How to Destroy Brand-New Cars - WSJ.com
The Japanese car maker, controlled by Ford Motor Corp., easily could have found takers for the vehicles. Hundreds of people called about buying cheap Mazdas. Schools wanted them for auto-shop courses. Hollywood asked about using them for stunts.

Mazda turned everyone away. It worried about getting sued someday if, say, an air-bag failed to fire properly due to overexposure to salty sea air.

It also worried that scammers might find a way to spirit the cars abroad to sell as new. That happened to thousands of so-called "Katrina cars" salvaged from New Orleans' flooding three years ago. Those cars -- their electronics gone haywire and sand in the engines -- were given a paint job and unloaded in Latin America on unsuspecting buyers, damaging auto makers' reputations.

Mazda saw no easy way to guard against these outcomes. So it decided to destroy approximately $100 million worth of factory-new automobiles. "We couldn't run the risk of damaging the brand name that Mazda worked so hard over the years to develop," says Jeremy Barnes, the company's corporate-affairs director for North America.

Fear of lawsuits trump the educational good that could have come out of this.

Catty
Yeah! I'd buy 100 of them at $1 each and sell them at $1,000 each! ;)

Whoa, what a waste. I hope they're recycling them to make another new cars though. Many old cars are recycled from the scrap. I bet the insurance will cover the damage to Mazda's new cars on the trip to the US.

Wow, that's crazy to destroy brand new cars. What a waste.

I hope they're recycling them to make another new cars though. Many old cars are recycled from the scrap.

The process is, as follows:
The process runs with startling efficiency. It begins when longshoremen take the cars from the freighter and drive them to a nearby lot where the airbags . . .

A forklift next piles the cars onto trailers for a brief ride to Pacific Car Crushing.

Steel-alloy wheels are sliced with high-power saws to make sure they won't be resold. Holes are drilled into every tire.

Next stop: Schnitzer Steel, a salvage yard down on the waterfront that's home to an immense metal grinder.

Moments later, metal shards -- most no bigger than an ashtray -- sprinkle onto a mountain of scrap near Schnitzer's dock. There, a freighter prepares to take the scrap back to Asia where it will get recycled.

Mr. Wilson looks on and concludes: "It'll all probably end up coming back as cars."

I cried because I want buy a Mazda 6!

I will take them as my own!

They are wise to scrape because its cheaper to recycle than handling 4,000 lawsuits. Worth possible 300k each.

So do math...

Sell full price 20k each and total profit 80,000,000

or handle 300k lawsuit and total 1,200,000,000... Umm... it could be worse.

in this sue happy world Mazda did the right thing. But still they could have sent the cars to the dealers, told them to run some miles on them, sell them as-is. Or at least they could have been sold as certified used and the vehicles donated to abuse shelters or to poor families that cannot afford a car of their own and live where there is no public transportation available.

But even if the above were not viable options, then they should have donated them to fire and rescue services where they could be used in extracation training procedures or for Vocational Technologies Schools or 2 year community colleges where Automotive Mechanics is an offered course and they need vehicles for the students to work on.

But a wokamuka said - the liability in this must far outweigh the educational possibilities this could have had.

in this sue happy world Mazda did the right thing. But still they could have sent the cars to the dealers, told them to run some miles on them, sell them as-is. Or at least they could have been sold as certified used and the vehicles donated to abuse shelters or to poor families that cannot afford a car of their own and live where there is no public transportation available.

But even if the above were not viable options, then they should have donated them to fire and rescue services where they could be used in extracation training procedures or for Vocational Technologies Schools or 2 year community colleges where Automotive Mechanics is an offered course and they need vehicles for the students to work on.

But a wokamuka said - the liability in this must far outweigh the educational possibilities this could have had.

Also shoulda use those mazdas on Science channel show Such as Myth Buster, Cool Fuel and other funny science show to cut em up, modify, or blow em up for experiement!! Also why not they use it to run Hydrogen, Propane, Electric, ect on Cool Fuel show LOL This is much more educational than liabilty!!

I agree that they should use that cars for emergency practice, cops ramming against car for practice, Fire dept use life jaws and all those sort which is MUCH less wasteful, make use of it before throwing it away.

Catty

Also shoulda use those mazdas on Science channel show Such as Myth Buster, Cool Fuel and other funny science show to cut em up, modify, or blow em up for experiement!! Also why not they use it to run Hydrogen, Propane, Electric, ect on Cool Fuel show LOL This is much more educational than liabilty!!

I agree that they should use that cars for emergency practice, cops ramming against car for practice, Fire dept use life jaws and all those sort which is MUCH less wasteful, make use of it before throwing it away.

Catty

That is a great idea. They should have given it away for educational purposes.

Remember Mazda are partly owned by FORD.....what's waste..but too much liability, well would be nice to have em for parts .... if do.. would make sweet parts heaven.....

I'd be happy to purchase one of these pretty madza's for a buck :lol:

why didnt they remove engine and everything , and paint it on yellow or pink or orange, and sell them on toys r us? Let our kids happy driving a big vehicle?

Back