Maybe the end of CIs and HA for many deaf

OK,so you think that a woman using a particular prosetheitc body part in a romantic sitution experiances the same as a man? Yes, its a graphic example.....but it's pretty much the same idea.

For that idea of yours to be remotely the same, the strap on dildo would need to be wired to her body internally and stimulate the appropriate nerve endings to illicit an orgasmic response much in the same manner if she had an actual penis, not just rub her clit.

Your version basically says that a CI user just has a device that sits on their ear, does nothing for them but makes sounds for others around them to hear.

It's not a graphic example, it's a piss poor one.

Listening Check devices for CIs and Hearing Aids are to check the integrity of the microphone. If those students heard anything other than normal, clear sound through it then there was something wrong. Nothing exists for you to experience CI hearing, not even those YT videos.

As for your contention that late-deafened throw Hearing Aids in a drawer..... age-related hearing loss is often accompanied with denial and wearing an aid is admitting it. Most often, they can get away with it to a degree because they can still hear without a hearing aid.

You forgot to acknowledge that late-deafened not only do not throw their CI processor in a drawer, but they tend to rave about it within their CI communities as a life-changing step. You don't see this in Hearing Aid communities.

Neither hearing solution is perfect and I would certainly jump at a cure to have perfect hearing and not have to wear anything at all. Getting 80% of the way to perfect hearing is much closer to hearing than 5% of the way there trying to use amplification.

OK,so you think that a woman using a particular prosetheitc body part in a romantic sitution experiances the same as a man? Yes, its a graphic example.....but it's pretty much the same idea.

Jane, you're late deafened...........it's a FACT that dhh children can comprehend "artifical" hearing....it sounds different from hearing person hearing It's fake...it's 2 dimensional....it's not what hearing people think of as hearing...it's a sense of FAKE hearing....have you missed out on all the samples of what sound sounds like through a CI? There's a LOT out there..I do remember whatsherface...the girl with bilateral CIs who did marching band. I distinctly remember her telling about a time when she had her hearing schoolmates hear though some "sound check" mechanicism, and they were all "THAT'S what you hear?!?!?.....there is a reason why they're looking into CI MEMS to make CIs sound more like what hearing people hear.

Besides, if fake hearing is so good, then how come there's such a high rate of "hearing aids in drawers among late deafened (and even lots of prelingally dhh too)

Oh,and if CI/HA sound quality is JUST LIKE hearing person hearing then why is there so much obession and preoccupation with a cure for hearing loss for late deafened folks? Lots of LD folks will even mourn unilateral dhhness.

First off probably a bit off topic; but why do you never use the edit button when you think of something to add within a very few minutes of a post? An example is the two I have quoted here.

Now I have never said the work on improvements should not continue. But you seem to reject how helpful what is available can be simply because it is not what you call "just like hearing person hearing".

Oh please, noooooo!!

Sowwy!

image.png

Asked My Audi

Forwarded the article to my Audi. This is her take on it. Please See Below.

They have been trying to regrow hair cells in animals for years with very limited success. The idea is valid, but from the research I have read, the hair cell regrowth is only lasting a week at best. They are heading in the right direction though!!

Kristie

First off probably a bit off topic; but why do you never use the edit button when you think of something to add within a very few minutes of a post? An example is the two I have quoted here.

Now I have never said the work on improvements should not continue. But you seem to reject how helpful what is available can be simply because it is not what you call "just like hearing person hearing".

Where the eff do you get that from?!?! If I thought that I wouldn't wear aids in the first place....Yes, its great and helpful.....but its not like hearing person hearing....That's like saying that the residual vision of a blind/low vision person is like what a sighted person sees.

Where the eff do you get that from?!?! If I thought that I wouldn't wear aids in the first place....Yes, its great and helpful.....but its not like hearing person hearing....That's like saying that the residual vision of a blind/low vision person is like what a sighted person sees.

But nobody cares if it is...

At all.

NOBODY

Forwarded the article to my Audi. This is her take on it. Please See Below.

They have been trying to regrow hair cells in animals for years with very limited success. The idea is valid, but from the research I have read, the hair cell regrowth is only lasting a week at best. They are heading in the right direction though!!

Recently, they have been able to do it in mice. And, a company has formed that is going to develop treatment, that means there is money to be made.

I don't want to over hype it, but that's the strongest evidence I've seen so far..

Back