Maths and English

I loved maths!!! But i am slightly bad in language...........dunno what grade will i get in IGCSE?
Actually, I was never a good at maths.....but used to work on each sum for an hour!:shock:(that was a pretty pain)

I love maths, but not so much english :| just taken A level maths and waiting on the results.

I would probably fail english badly if I attempted it..

I love Math! I went to Gallaudet University. I had a math test to find out what I took a class. Counselor gave me Intermediate Algebra. I said to her, "No problem." I took class last fall for Intermediate Alg. I had a math chapter test. I got some 3 A and 2 B. Final exam looked not bad. I got
78%. But he gave me an A! Wow! I am very high good Algebra.

Last Spring, I took Pre-Calculus class. I pretty good about Algebra 2 review. And now I hate and new hard Trigeometry. Ugh! But I got a B! Whew! I passed it! I will take Calculus 1 later.

I talked about English. I hate English, when I took a test the GWE and DRP. I not passed and not take GSR 102. Gallaudet Committee voted not approve to go back to Gallaudet. :( I got Academy Suspend. I re-admission and I go back to Gallaudet.

I have problem with reading and grammar. :( I need to go LD (Learning Disability test) Hellllllp me!!!!!!

I hate both subjects, but I am actually really good at both. :) I take the highest level courses for the both of them (and in every other subject).

In English, I am better at writing than reading. I always get awesome marks when it comes to essays, stories (I wrote a horror last year... that was fun :)) and newspaper articles. However, I am not always that great at reading comprehension (the questions about what you read) because I often drift off if I am not enjoying what I'm reading and then all I'm doing is reading the words and not actually thinking about it. I know this sounds a bit ridiculous, but I was peeved when I only got an 86% on a Lord of the Flies test on comprehension. However, I was able to achieve a 4+ (equivalent to an A+) on a Lord of the Flies essay explaining why the children had to resort to primitive values. :confused:

Math has always proved to be one of my best subjects, even though I find the subject so incredibly dull. Last year I did well in every unit, but by far my favourite unit was trig. Trig just makes so much sense to me! It is simple logic. I got 100% in the trig unit. :) My least favourite unit was the one on quadratics because I had trouble remembering the steps that took place... yet I still managed to maintain 94s in that unit. :confused: Next year I am taking grade 11 university level functions. I don't know what functions are, but I'm hoping I'll do well and it will involve some trig. :P

I love math and love to help others learn it or grow to love it. Later never really happens. I think the problem is that it is no longer taught as it was when I was in school. Whenever I tutor I make the person do every step to solve the problem. Teachers today are teaching shortcuts. They are not giving the students the necessary examples to learn the process for it to make sense. You need all the steps at first and once you learn them you can drop them as you go.

I have a friend who was hired to teach middle school math. She doesn't understand it herself, so she teaches strictly from the book which does not show all the steps. :(:(:(:(

Try hexadecimal (base-16) mathematics.

4 squared is 10 in hexadecimal - which is the equivalent of 16 in decimal.

A cubed is 3E8, equivalent to 1000 in decimal.

4B (75) plus 1F (31) is 6A (106). F (15) multiplied by D (13) is C3 (195).

Try hexadecimal (base-16) mathematics.

4 squared is 10 in hexadecimal - which is the equivalent of 16 in decimal.

A cubed is 3E8, equivalent to 1000 in decimal.

4B (75) plus 1F (31) is 6A (106). F (15) multiplied by D (13) is C3 (195).

Uh? :laugh2: You don't make sense to me.

Theres a math disability?

yes its called discalcula i think. its like dislexic but just with numbers. i see letters instead of number and vice versa so ive always stuggled w math/alg. but ive always done well in english writing reading and sciences. i like govt too. i have to get tested for learning disability at my new college. they say my foundation for math is good and i have the right answers... im just like transposing my numbers and stuff....

dyscalculia is a term for specific math and math-related LD. I have it. Usually I just refer as "math LD" - easier for people. It's more than just "not being good at" math, or having "math anxiety". I was diagnosed w/LD in college. I don't tend to reverse numerals but have always had trouble w/"Left" and "Right", measurements, telling time, math in general, multiple/sequential directions, spatial orientation and dealing w/money. Did not learn how to tell time or count money til high school. Sometimes I have trouble determining how many digits are in a sequence. Have never worn a watch. Different people with math LD have various symptoms of it, and varying severity. You can have both dyscalculia AND dyslexia but they are two separate things.
I've always done well with non-math things and basic biology aside from the mathematical aspect of it. Folks w/math LD tend to do very well in the humanities, creative arts, English and related topics and then have a big discrepancy between that and their <lower> math achievement. Dyscalculia still tends to be overlooked in kids who are doing well otherwise and not acting out behaviorally, many people even in fields of education and psychology are unaware of it or may have heard of it but know very little about it.

I love Math! I went to Gallaudet University. I had a math test to find out what I took a class. Counselor gave me Intermediate Algebra. I said to her, "No problem." I took class last fall for Intermediate Alg. I had a math chapter test. I got some 3 A and 2 B. Final exam looked not bad. I got
78%. But he gave me an A! Wow! I am very high good Algebra.

Last Spring, I took Pre-Calculus class. I pretty good about Algebra 2 review. And now I hate and new hard Trigeometry. Ugh! But I got a B! Whew! I passed it! I will take Calculus 1 later.

I talked about English. I hate English, when I took a test the GWE and DRP. I not passed and not take GSR 102. Gallaudet Committee voted not approve to go back to Gallaudet. :( I got Academy Suspend. I re-admission and I go back to Gallaudet.

I have problem with reading and grammar. :( I need to go LD (Learning Disability test) Hellllllp me!!!!!!

Damn, it sounds no fun.

Sorry about what happened to you.

If you are not satisfy with background of Gally then you can go to NTID or other college in your state.

Math, like most things, becomes fun when you start to understand it. I use to hate math as well. However, once I learned how to study for math, I started getting good at it and enjoying it. Math, unlike most classes, just requires a lot of practice. Stick to it and you will get better at it, you will see.

By the way, one of the Masters that I am working on is on math.

I do not like math at all i have trouble understaind divisions ,alegbra its like i dont understand language in math and i dont udnerstand the steps how to do a math....

I am not bad at english, I can spell and read very good!

But maths is my worst problem, I just cannot do it, its getting me down. I cant really work out problems really quickly I cannot do it in my head at all, I find fractions, decimals and most mathematical stuff hard, it takes me a long time to finally "get" the stuff.

Anybody else the same?

I'm terrible at math. It's just not how my brain works. I found that the best thing is to have at least two different people teach you whatever you are trying to learn -- the more people who explain it to you, the better! Sometimes, the teacher will only explain a concept one way, but someone else will say something and then everything will click into place and it will suddenly make sense.
Also, to test how well you understand, find someone to teach it to yourself. It can be anyone at all, including the person who is teaching you! If you can explain a concept to someone else then you clearly know it. As weird as it sounds, I often think I understand something just fine, until I try to teach it to someone and suddenly I realize there's a huge part I'm missing or I have something backwards.

Hope that helps and good luck with your classes. I think math classes were the only ones that ever made me cry!

I like to think math as a language like ASL or English. I think a lot of people have fear or aversion to math from the way we learned math in elementary school.

I have always loved math. I took Trig while in 8th grade. Once I made it to high school, they had to go to the local college for math courses for me for the 3 required years of math. I did all 3 years worth in 1 school year. They gave up.

I have also been very good with english, grammer and literature.

Science was my downfall. Hated it. Failed Chemistry. I think it was because I was severe hoh and teacher was fresh from Uganda and I couldn't understand a word he said. I also am so far the only person in the history of Palm Beach County School system to have a doctor's excuse to get out of music theory. The teacher had had a tracheotomy and could not speak any louder than a whisper. Got moved to sewing. What a laugh. Started sewing when I was 6. I had to have just 1 more credit in an elective and sewing was all that was left at the time.

Had to have 20 credits to graduate with, I ended up graduating with 29. 2 different schhol for high school each with different requirements.

Last edited:
Back