Mark Levin: Let’s eradicate the term ‘hearing impaired

Hochi hears despite the lack of ear

The sooner i realized the less i gave a shit, in what mere words meant or how the hearing world saw or sees me, and started understanding the reason WHY I was reacting in certain situations the way I did, the more control i got over my life, the better my life became
Be in control of your life.
meh
doesnt phase me these days
learn to laugh at yourself.
Try it
Its one of the best ways to handle the hearing world
Go with the flow, you know, when your havin a drink and you really want to chat with that sharp lady beside you....but you cant hear a thing right, of course you cant, your DEAF, why even bother? you cant hear a thing damn!! ,,,,,,,perfect, you decide to politely start a conversation. you know you cant hear a thing, she doesnt yet but she will soon, you know this. you know how most people including yourself will react. you know this better then anyone.
"What"
leaning a little closer with style of course
(sharp dressin girls lips move)
"WHAT?"
" NO i'm not dead i'm DEAF "
(look around, look back at her a bit panicked, checking for a pulse)
"you mean im Dead?"
(quickly sip drink)
"im deaf too though", (wink)
'oh i'm sorr...."
"don't be sorry cuttie, ( raises hand for another round for both)
moves closer
sips drink, lights smoke, exhales, (pauses),,,,,,sips drink leans closer)
"say"
(circles index finger slowly around tip of glass, slowly, surely, slowly round and around, she notices. Her eyes gaze, your eyes meet them, breath.......... out............ slowly)
the drinks arrive. you and her are still communicating/ saying nothing/ eye gaze still touching............\ suddenly the ability to hear now doesn't matter does it?
cough
the world is what you make it. words, signs whatever
Hoichi-the earless
And they feel vibrations beneath them. They're in San Jose, CA because they knew the way. "Hmmmm... is it an earthwake?" she hazily signs. "Huh? an earthquake, you mean?" he signs back longingly. They gaze deeply into their eyes as they suddenly feel a pounding vibration and look down and realize it is all and it is none. They're lying on a great grand piano and the pianist decked out to the nines in a white tuxedo playing away is "deaf" to the two bodies being rocked to the shore by his beautiful tickling ivory.

Nope, Hochi, it apparently doesn't matter to "them" if they can hear and as you, they obviously do.

Your writing style is like that of something that a deaf comedic Bogart could be in. I did not mean to obliterate your story. I was lulled into it. You are Hochi-the earless who hears the subtlness in smoke-filled rooms of life. Cool, man. And to all a Happy New Year.

San Jose was a bitter night, left to twisted memories. obliterated as you sign, like wasted youth. This dame wasnt in san jose. the hotel room walls shook....
"don't fright darlin"
I light smoke, inhale, exhale slowly....)
"thats no earthquake,
(her eyes......now wide, her mouth opens, she stares..)
"but i....."
(i drink a fine sip of the finest scotch this side of the highlands and sign)
Train gone darlin...Train gone!!

To he who hears without the ears

San Jose was a bitter night, left to twisted memories. obliterated as you sign, like wasted youth. This dame wasnt in san jose. the hotel room walls shook....
"don't fright darlin"
I light smoke, inhale, exhale slowly....)
"thats no earthquake,
(her eyes......now wide, her mouth opens, she stares..)
"but i....."
(i drink a fine sip of the finest scotch this side of the highlands and sign)
Train gone darlin...Train gone!!
Ah man. That's so much better. I just love it. Thank you.

your welcome sbrin. my pleasure.
by the way, i may have misread you. if i did i apologize in advance. but i am Deaf. Born hearing, deaf at nine, then Deaf residential gov school, then Gally.
for what its worth.
Hoichi-the earless

HI doesn't bother me

I was born Deaf so i m not broken. Im Deaf. I dislikes the term H.I.
Ma'am :) , there is a difference to me. You were born Deaf. You aren't broken. My guess is you exist within the lovely Deaf culture. On the other hand, I was HoH/Hearing Impaired and am deaf at this point. My culture originates and exists in the hearing world.

I'm not an expert or a novice for that matter. In my 20s/30s, I went back and forth from the hearing culture to the Deaf. It was awkward. In the Deaf culture, I was impaired as an HoH person (lol). I needed to learn sign and did - just not ASL.

I said this later in the thread that for me to exist in my chosen life, I was absolutely impaired. I needed help through HAs to get me through life. The HAs did enough of their job to cover my impairment an allowed me to progress through life in the hearing world. (Yup, I mean cover and I did that as long as I could.) Without the HAs, I know I misunderstood and said some pretty stupid sounding things because I couldn't hear and guessed a lot. Hearing impaired never bugged me because I saw that I was hearing impaired - the invisible xxxx. That made it worse and that was life.

-- Sheri

Your culture as did mine and most originates int he hearing world. yes. But the treasure here is that Deaf culture exists. Against the odds and against a very very hostile world which is becoming MORE hostile. We have deaf culture. Its a treasure. Its worth keeping. yes as a kid it was more then awkward for me. But either adapt or you don't. Now i go between both smoothly. granted these days im trapped in the hearing world. and it sucks

Your culture as did mine and most originates int he hearing world. yes. But the treasure here is that Deaf culture exists. Against the odds and against a very very hostile world which is becoming MORE hostile. We have deaf culture. Its a treasure. Its worth keeping. yes as a kid it was more then awkward for me. But either adapt or you don't. Now i go between both smoothly. granted these days im trapped in the hearing world. and it sucks
I can't agree or disagree with you, Hochi, except the Deaf culture grew out of the hearing world. I know I avoid many "news" sites because they are full of corporate pushed (can I say this...) b.s. I've seen the Deaf (vs. alldeaf's defined "deaf") culture in my earlier years and it was insulated. To that extent, it was better for me. But the insulation was about the same as my feeling insulated by the mountains surrounding Asheville. It's beautiful but an illusion. I prefer to live in that illusion and do as long as I can.

I am in the hearing world that at this stage of my life, I am able to sort of create.

I create my own illusions by walking in the forest turned off or walking around the neighborhood again turned off. That becomes my world.

I prefer your illusions in your writing short clips. One day, I may remember what they're actually called. But please keep them coming in. They have become part of my escape.

-- Sheri

I've seen the Deaf (vs. alldeaf's defined "deaf") culture in my earlier years and it was insulated. To that extent, it was better for me. But the insulation was about the same as my feeling insulated by the mountains surrounding Asheville. It's beautiful but an illusion. I prefer to live in that illusion and do as long as I can.

Culture is NOT an illusion. Its as real as those mountains your looking at. some cultures are isolationist some aren't. Every culture has antecedents. Deaf american culture is is no different. That doesn't negate its worth, what it does do is recognize the fact that it is like any culture. A human one. The difference is Deaf culture cannot on its own propagate itself. We always need other deaf. the hearing world has made it a bred to the bone principle that deafness should be eradicated like any disease they invasion a future with no deaf. . but unlike other "disorders". we have a language and with it a culture.
this makes it somewhat tricky then. we don't have a disorder to eradicate. we are people with a language an d culture that is in the iron sights here.
this difference is as real as cold steel
its not an illusion girl. its a reality

im glad you enjoy my posts

Deaf culture must remain intact ... Don't know if it will but we shall see

Culture is NOT an illusion. Its as real as those mountains your looking at. some cultures are isolationist some aren't. Every culture has antecedents. Deaf american culture is is no different. That doesn't negate its worth, what it does do is recognize the fact that it is like any culture. A human one. The difference is Deaf culture cannot on its own propagate itself. We always need other deaf. the hearing world has made it a bred to the bone principle that deafness should be eradicated like any disease they invasion a future with no deaf. . but unlike other "disorders". we have a language and with it a culture.
this makes it somewhat tricky then. we don't have a disorder to eradicate. we are people with a language an d culture that is in the iron sights here.
this difference is as real as cold steel
its not an illusion girl. its a reality

im glad you enjoy my posts
Allow me to correct myself. I look at the mountains surrounding us. I feel as though they protect us from the outside world. That, my dear lovely writer, is an illusion. They don't protect us.

Hochi, I never would diminish the Deaf Culture. It is important to survive and wrap its arms around those who wish to be a part of it. CIs are being pushed on kids. I have to wonder if that's part of the annihilation process and capitalistic world? I was born hearing (mostly), so the thought of entering a deaf world was not for me. You will have different people from different backgrounds making choices like this. Hearing will most likely want to remain hearing (though I have my doubts again about my choice after another strenuous afternoon with a new friend).

Yeah, I thought about Darwin's survival of the fittest. Lets expand this to our American culture. It is primarily a world of men in "all boys clubs." It is white men (gosh, not gay) trying to keep others down (Koch brothers). It's also being taken over by foreigners who have come to America (not as part of our culture) to pretty much assimilate us into theirs - in time. It is pretty weird out there.

I realized this, Hochi. Thanks.

your welcome sbrin. my pleasure.
by the way, i may have misread you. if i did i apologize in advance. but i am Deaf. Born hearing, deaf at nine, then Deaf residential gov school, then Gally.
for what its worth.
Hoichi-the earless
Gally as in Gallaudet? If so when and what was your major? I apologize but what's a Deaf residential gov school - like a boarding school for Deaf?

I know you're deaf, Hochi. (Call me Sheri, if you can remember would ya?) I'm deaf. I think we're bridging the gap :) . You write lovely scenes. I like to add to them but cannot without your subtle steaminess. But I will continue trying and they will always be yours sort of encouraging my old writing and writing poetry I used to do in what now feels like a past life.

-- Sheri

why is it an illusion? You feeling protected by the sights of mountains as opposed to the bright lights of the big city? makes sense. I'm sorry to have implied you where diminishing deaf culture. the pushing of CI on children is is indeed part of the annihilation process. couple that with mainstream ed, and the closing of Deaf schools it is a grim future.
i was born hearing too......
yes a Deaf residential school is gov school for the Deaf. i was at gally in the early mid 90s, my major was english. i don't remember a thing. suffice it to say, the parties were epic.
alas youth is wasted on youth i implore you sheri to start creating poetry again, even in ASL, write prose again, write and create.
.......thank me later with a drink.......

The illusion of being safe in the mountains

why is it an illusion? You feeling protected by the sights of mountains as opposed to the bright lights of the big city? makes sense. I'm sorry to have implied you where diminishing deaf culture. the pushing of CI on children is is indeed part of the annihilation process. couple that with mainstream ed, and the closing of Deaf schools it is a grim future.
i was born hearing too......
yes a Deaf residential school is gov school for the Deaf. i was at gally in the early mid 90s, my major was english. i don't remember a thing. suffice it to say, the parties were epic.
alas youth is wasted on youth i implore you sheri to start creating poetry again, even in ASL, write prose again, write and create.
.......thank me later with a drink.......
Geesh, Hochi, no. The bright lights were horrible. We couldn't see the stars due to the lights of NYC - we were 30 miles outside. On 9/11, I was at work. I got a call from my partner crying. I immediately joined my dept. in our meeting room and watched incredulously. We knew it was not an accident when the 2nd plane hit. I walked out of work and drove home. We walked with our dogs like zombies amongst many other then stood quietly on a hill on a heavily traffic highway that looked about 15 miles out to a then smoking skyline of where the WTCs had been. Some years later, I started working in NYC for a music company. I was under no illusion the bright lights would protect me and I had perhaps a false plan to get home if we were attacked again. But, like others, we all needed a plan. It was insane - everything about it including the packed trains and subways packed full of every odor imaginable. Also understand after the first cars attacked the WTC in 1993, we guessed what the next try would be - the tunnels? bridges? We waited and wondered and still went to NYC for shows and dinners.

So, we are here in Asheville surrounded by beauty and a few confederate flags here and there. But, it is an illusion of safety and that's why we have guns in our house... another illusion. My aim isn't bad but I'm fooling myself. I graduated college in 1976 (for your comparison). I had different majors from elementary ed (most credits but I had to leave and didn't get a chance to do my student teaching). So, "it" became Communication Studies - to get what became a useless degree for me.

I like your phrase, " ... youth wasted on youth." I look back at who I was and those I dated :) and wish I had the wisdom to have taken better advantage (go back and remember what you wrote). I had one long embrace at night outside my home that I will never forget. (lol) I really was in San Jose but not on a piano or a smoke-filled room. Had I the brains, I would've had more - of that intensity (the ones you create in your writing). I had a lot going for me back then but I wasted it, too.

You write with intensity. I did, too. But stopped writing pretty much after I wrote a series of poems surrounding my mom's death. I wrote her eulogy and service and gave it. It was genuinely good and took me three months to compose. People were crying who didn't know her as they were our friends who didn't know her. The room was packed - couple hundred people and I don't do public speaking. It was the last thing I could give my mom - fears and all. I did what I set out to do - take people on a journey - a real one :). I ended up scripting out my dad's as well and quickly. It WAS NOT MY PLAN and was outvoted. My family needed a service, I wouldn't let a stranger do it, so I allowed it to fall in my lap. My family was sobbing. Friends were crying. I have one more left and then I'll call my writing quits. In the meantime, I will live vicariously through yours. I'll try some ASL haikus but I don't know that I can do more than that. It's your language in your culture and while I'd like to learn it, I don't know that I can. Trust. Try me. English structure no. See, I s...

Thanks, dear Hochi. I'll take you up on that drink but you'll have to use PSL :)!

Thank You for sharing that sheri, re 911 i actually was hung over that day, a mess really. i was so sick, puking out back when a neighbor came out of her apartment very spooked. i couldn't stop hacking, hard to read lips or look at a face when violently heaving your soul out. by the time i was in control she went back inside. Only later hours later did i become aware when turning on the t.v. with a bag of frozen paroges on my head (all i had) yeah, ill never forget.... i thought it was on, the big one, ivan, the reds, real deal........ like nukes the works. Poured a shot of scotch and hoped for the best.
Your too kind sheri. i didn't coin that phrase, i picked it up someplace or other, some book or bar, it stuck with me. Its a keeper. i'm sure google would answer my question but i prefer mystery sometimes. keeps it simple. as for ASL i'm not a native signer. i didn't pick sign up till 9 and after, It certainly IS my language now, and my culture too. presently i'm more oral then i like to be.
such is life
start small, set goals, you pick it....

Last edited:
Back