Manhattan NY, Queens NY

rubbersigner

Reaction score
I'm looking for a sign language tutor. I'm hearing. I'm starting Level Two. And I wanna move up the ASL ladder. But let me be clear...

I'm not looking for an Internet Teacher. That's not for me. Not now. My receptive skills are too weak. No. I want face-to-face interaction. One-on-One. Are we on the same page?

I'd prefer learning ASL from a deaf tutor. My second choice is a quality hearing tutor.

In your return note if you decide to impress me with your college vocabulary, cool. But in your email I want you to tell me (1) how much cash you charge per hour, (2) your status, deaf, hearing or HH, (3) your ASL skill level, and finally (4) tell me a lil' bit about you, make yourself simple yet interesting. For example...

I'm seriously into weightlifting. I have size, I'm not huge, but here's the thing: I don't do steroids. I'm a physical fitness aficionado. I don't dope, drink, snort or smoke. That stuff is counterproductive. I like healthy food, nutritional snacks. I'm hooked on reading, meditating, and cooking. And I dig moving around the city. On the bus or train, sometimes I daydream, sometimes I practice my finger spelling, (people see me and give me weird looks), and sometimes I strike up conversations with strangers.

Now dig it: If you're super real about tutoring me, then you're for me. If your super serious about putting some lettuce in your wallet, then I'm for you. Respects, Al

Are you in college? If so, then what is the name of college you are attending and where (city and state)? I am surprise that you want to put some kind of ad for finding tutor to help you with ASL here.

You should put the ad on the bulletin board to note the ad for the tutor need. Also there should be tutor service at the college where you can ask someone any information on finding a student to help you with ASL. If there is no ASL courses there, then you are out of luck. I guess you need to find another college that offer you ASL classes.

As for "wanna move up the ASL ladder", you need to go with the flow as you can not get up as fast as you want to learn ASL. That is why it is important to be in the ASL class and to learn Deaf Culture with no rush. Take your time. I hope you have a Deaf teacher in your ASL class. Deaf teacher is a lot better than hearing teacher.

I would recommend you to check out ASL NYC - http://www.aslnyc.com/. His class is located right next to Brooklyn Bridge. He's deaf and he is a very good friend of mine. He helped me with my signing.

His class is very small which is good... usually up to 5 students but since you prefer one-on-one... he does do private tutoring.

Contact him and go from there to work out the cost and all. good luck!

Back